Protein Question for Vegetarians

Options
I just read the book "Eat to Live" and the past few weeks I have been trying to follow the suggestions given. Staying away from animal products, including dairy and fish, and trying to eat mostly vegetables, fruits and beans. I was already eating clean, so protein powder and other "artificial" protein is not an option for me.

This is what I have found ... I feel AMAZING, but my protein levels are much lower and my carbohydrates are much higher than I like them to be. I do not consider myself a vegetarian or vegan because I do love my meat and eggs and still eat them, but very infrequently. I have been low in protein for days, but yesterday the only alteration in my diet was I added 4 oz of chicken breast to my dinner and my macros were perfect.

The book suggests that per calorie spinach and other leafy greens have more protein than meat, which is true, but the amount of spinach I have to eat for the calories to be equal to even 1 oz of chicken I would have spinach coming out of my ears!

I'm not really sure the solution to this problem, so I am very interested in your suggestions to getting more protein. I generally have a serving of beans for lunch and sometimes will have a serving at dinner and I eat a 2 oz of nuts (almonds or walnuts) for breakfast or a snack, but I don't want to add more nuts because of the fat content and I don't think I'd be happy eating more beans.

I am avoiding responses that include "Just eat meat everyday" and "Don't cut a food group out of your diet" because I am not cutting anything out entirely and I do not want to eat meat everyday. Once or twice per week is what I'm looking at.

Ok, I know that there are a lot of parameters to my situation, so hopefully someone can help! Thanks!

Replies

• mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Interested to hear the responses. I am limiting my meat intake as well.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any meat or fish but I eat like a million egg whites a day. Yesterday I had 1.5 cups of egg whites. It's 100% protein.
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You can take a look at my journal if you'd like, I eat a 97% vegan plant based diet and my protien is fairly high. I have found that beans, tofu, and whole grains help!
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian since 1991 and recently went vegan. I get my protein from tofu, bean curd and vegetables.
  • closeyone
    closeyone Posts: 31
    Options
    I highly recommend Quorn products, They are high in protein and very low in fat. They have a large selection of ready made items, but I prefer using their mince and chicken style pieces, which can easy be cooked in the same way as fav meat based meals (spag bowl, chilli, fajitas etc).

I'm a vegetarian so have used their products for years. My boyfriend is a meat eater, but he now prefers quorn mince to meat as you don't get any of the nasty fatty bits, and it is much healthier.

Have a look at the Quorn website for lots of recipies and ideas.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Seapoint Farms dry roasted edamame is a great source of veg protein that contains all the amino acids (according to the pkg). 1/4 C has 14 g protein and 130 calories, so not exactly low cal. But it is tasty and a good source of protein.
  • shaff1rm
    shaff1rm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So many ways to get protein! I have a protein shake every morning- usually soy protein powder, soy milk and a banana. I mix TVP (textured vegetable protein) in to a lot of my sauces- it takes on a ground beef texture, but it's vegan and loaded with protein. It makes a great replacement for ground beef in anything. Hummus, and chickpeas in general, have a ton of protein. Tofu and tempeh as well, and I eat a lot of quinoa. Beans and nuts are also great. I've been a vegetarian for years, and I actually get a lot more protein than my non-veggie counterparts. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but it's easy once you catch on.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I get most of my protein from lentils, beans and eggs. I do occasionally have tofu, tempeh and MorningStar Farms products, though I try to limit this because they're so processed. Quinoa is full of protein too. I wouldn't worry about your carb macro too much if your carb sources are complex carbs like quinoa, beans and lentils.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Tofu?
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I just read the book "Eat to Live" and the past few weeks I have been trying to follow the suggestions given. Staying away from animal products, including dairy and fish, and trying to eat mostly vegetables, fruits and beans. I was already eating clean, so protein powder and other "artificial" protein is not an option for me.

This is what I have found ... I feel AMAZING, but my protein levels are much lower and my carbohydrates are much higher than I like them to be. I do not consider myself a vegetarian or vegan because I do love my meat and eggs and still eat them, but very infrequently. I have been low in protein for days, but yesterday the only alteration in my diet was I added 4 oz of chicken breast to my dinner and my macros were perfect.

The book suggests that per calorie spinach and other leafy greens have more protein than meat, which is true, but the amount of spinach I have to eat for the calories to be equal to even 1 oz of chicken I would have spinach coming out of my ears!

I'm not really sure the solution to this problem, so I am very interested in your suggestions to getting more protein. I generally have a serving of beans for lunch and sometimes will have a serving at dinner and I eat a 2 oz of nuts (almonds or walnuts) for breakfast or a snack, but I don't want to add more nuts because of the fat content and I don't think I'd be happy eating more beans.

I am avoiding responses that include "Just eat meat everyday" and "Don't cut a food group out of your diet" because I am not cutting anything out entirely and I do not want to eat meat everyday. Once or twice per week is what I'm looking at.

Ok, I know that there are a lot of parameters to my situation, so hopefully someone can help! Thanks!

Edamame or soybeans....I know you said you wouldn't be happy eating more beans. But edamame is so good! Also try asparagus and cauliflower!
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Would you be willing to open up your diary for more specific suggestions?
    Even if you're not willing here are a few questions to help get you better answers:

1. Are you open to tofu?
    I am not a fan of highly processed fake foods, but if you choose well made tofu it can be a very minimally processed food (kind of like how cheese is if that makes sense)

2. Why would you not be happy with more beans?
    Is it because of your body's responses to beans, lack of recipe applications, etc?

3. What kinds of grains are you eating?

4. What does your consumption of dark leafy greens look like?

Eating a primarily plant-based diet takes a bit of food combination skills to keep things balanced. Try making sure that you have a solid serving of dark leafy greens with more meals than not. Don't' be afraid to mix foods. Example: A stir-fried Quinoa bowl with toasted walnuts, sauteed kale, scallions, garlic, chilies, and pineapple. Have you taken a look at any of the Veg/Vegan blogs and websites that are out there for ideas? Try http://happyherbivore.com/ and http://www.lunchboxbunch.com/Home.html
    Good luck and have fun with it :flowerforyou:
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Yeah... vegetarian here and you can check out my diary. I cheat by eating protein bars (especially on longer runs). I also drink a lot of milk via cereal. I eat eggs occasionally (they make me sick if I consume too many). I also eat tofu and bean products such as veggie burgers.
    I do understand, it is harder though... but doable.
  • loverleigh
    Options
    I eat a plant based diet. I still eat meat, but not near as often as I used to. Beans, Quorn products (I love the meatballs), lentils, quinoa, spinach (I put it in smoothies), and nuts/seeds. Those are pretty much what I get my protein from. I eat lean chicken, fish, and eggs in small amounts during the week too. I eat meat/eggs bout 2-4 times a week. Hope this helps!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Tofu, lentils, black beans, tempeh, and seitan are my favorite vegan protein sources. I supplement with things like broccoli and peanut butter, but generally speaking, I don't rely on those types of food for my protein intake.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for almost 3 years and eat between 130-170g of protein a day. Feel free to check out my diary for ideas.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    im a veggie too. I'm usually at goal for my protien intake.

I dont know what i eat.. I do eat some morning star but seeing as Quorn is so much better im going to try to get on that.
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary. I feel like it constantly tells me I'm over in protein! I eat a mainly vegetarian diet with occasional fish permissions (very ,very rarely).
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Quinoa has a lot of protein and there are plenty of ways to prepare it.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    A very great resource:

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein/

Bookmark it
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I bought this book. Has some good info even if you are not a vegetarian

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition