Kettlebells vs. dumbells

Options
What is the difference between kettlebells and dumbells? Do you a different burn? Faster results? Trying to do some research but also want to hear about some personal experiences.

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Results are a byproduct of effort, not the tool you use.

Each have their pros and cons. Depends on what sort of exercises you want to do with them.
  • GregJourney
    GregJourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use both and mix it up. My heart rate is higher when I do my kettlebell workouts plus I enjoy them more.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    kettlebells are used more for full body exercises and more carido intensive
    (goblet squats, X-fit stuff, clean type movements, etc)

dumbbells are normally used for isolation exercises
    (chest flys, shoulder press, curls, etc)

there is crossover between the 2 but generally speaking this is what i see at the gym
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks!
  • Sugs94
    Sugs94 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My kettlebell instructor has us do both strength training and cardio...I think they are more designed to get both done vs dumbbells. If you have ever done 15 min of kettlebell swings...15 sec on/15 sec rest you will find your heartrate is up there with those on a treadmill. Then we have sections where it is geared more towards strength. He switches it up every workout and throws planks and other non-kettlebell moves in....absolutely love it.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You can use dumbbells to do most kettlebell exercises although some like the swing are unwieldy with a db. kettlebells are much more expensive than dumbbells which is something to consider, plus you can get a kettlebell handle to put plates onto if you have a weights set where the db is not fixed, its not quite as good/smooth as using a proper kettlebell but gives you more options.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Both are good.. depends on your fitness level, injuries if any and your sense of adventure.

I love kettlebells because it gives me a modest calorie burn in only 20 minutes. More than I would burn doing a workout video, treadmill, etc in 20 mins. Have a trainer or go to a class that teaches you how to properly do kettlebell moves or you will injury yourself

Dumbbells are great for at home if you don't have a kettlebell.. you can pick them up any time, even add them to body resistance style moves for added pain.