Not eating breakfast

Options
Seanb_us
Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
Hi,

I don't eat breakfast. It's just not my thing. But I am told I should try ... so am going to down a powder shake or something in the morning (like today).

Does anyone have a link to a good article on why I should eat breakfast?

Thoughts?

Sean

Replies

• laurengaugler
    laurengaugler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No article, but I'm not a breakfast person either, so instead I make a smoothie every morning.

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 1/2 cups frozen fruit
    1 1/2 cups spinach
    1 Tbs chia seeds

It's so easy to drink on the way to work and is usually less than 250 calories (depending on the fruit) so it doesn't put a huge dent in your daily calories. AND it's a nice way to sneak in some veggies first thing in the morning.

Sorry I can't answer your question, but if you are going to try eating breakfast, here's a suggestion that's not really "eating" breakfast.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    from what i've seen on here, it's not really necessary to eat breakfast if you're not hungry. some people do better waiting until a couple hours after they wake up, others are hungry right away. just do what's best for you, and make sure you hit your calorie and macro targets.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Nope.

There is/was lots of thought that it will "jump start" your metabolism to increase fat burning throughout the day, but that's all been debunked, especially in the face of adherence to overall calorie and macro goals.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    This always causes huge controversies here on MFP and you'll have die-hard people arguing for both sides.

There are a host of studies that correlate eating breakfast with being thinner, but some people will argue that corellation does not equal causation. There are also a host of studies that say it doesn't matter what time of day you eat, as long as you're within your calorie goal for the day.

I changed to eating breakfast and it has helped me to lose weight. I don't know if it has anything to do with keeping my metabolism stoked (you can find studies on both sides of that argument too), but it does keep me from being overly hungry at lunch time,

I think the bottom line is to do what works for you. Of all the crazy things that people try, it seems like eating breakfast would be an easy thing.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I don't eat breakfast. It's just not my thing. But I am told I should try ... so am going to down a powder shake or something in the morning (like today).

Does anyone have a link to a good article on why I should eat breakfast?

Thoughts?

Sean

If you feel fine without breakfast and you're able to maintain a reasonable calorie deficit without breakfast (some breakfast skippers will compensate by overeating later in the day), then just don't eat breakfast.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to personal choice. Like SideSteel said, if you have no problem maintaining your calorie deficit without breakfast, then no need to force eating one.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's not complusory. If you don't need it, and find that your eating habits later in the day aren't affected negatively, then you dont have to force yourself.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat it sometimes i dont, depends on how i feel on the day, I didnt have breakfast today, but yesterday I did.lol
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The other thing to consider is energy levels and workout intensity. Depending on when you workout, skipping breakfast could have a negative impact on your training intensity, which obviously isn't good. But if it doesn't impact your training (either you train later in the day, or you do well training fasted), then no reason to force yourself to eat.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I find I personally need the fuel in the morning to wake me up and get me going, with lots of protein (30g+) to have me ready for exercise later in the day. I look forward to breakfast, it's my favourite meal of the day :)

You can always try incorporating a small breakfast and see how it goes for you
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    When I first started this "diet," I was yelled at (repeatedly) for not eating breakfast, but now I just have something small and sometimes just coffee. I don't think it's 100% necessary to have breakfast, if you're not hungry. Just make sure that when lunch comes around, you aren't famished and make bad choices.
  • lesliejigal
    Options
    1/2 to 2 cups of water
    1-2 handfuls of greens (spinach, kale, romaine or mixed)
    1-3 sticks of celery
    1 banana
    1 apple
    1 pear
    1/2 of 1 lemon juice

Blend all ingredients 1 at a time if you don't have a powerful blender.
    Change up your fruits making sure they compliment one another
    Start slower with the greens if need be, in no time you may even look forward to your green smoothie,as I do it is amazing how much nutrition is packed into this all natural drink.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Good info! Thanks all. I am going to try a small breakfast, as I indicated, probably just a shake.

Not sure if skipping makes me eat more later? Maybe. I do know that I can work out without having eaten ... although I bet that somewhat reduces the benefits of working out. After I work out I do try to eat something small, be it a GNC shake or a fruit smoothie, or even a sandwich.

I aim to do everything within my calorie goals.

Sean
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Breakfast used to recommended a big/filling meal usually consisting of grains and wheat, which translates to carbohydrates. Also, breakfast cereals/pop tarts/donuts/scones etc that people were eating became less whole grain/wheat centered and more sugary, processed, and fatty. Many recently have said stop eating breakfast all together because carbohydrates can cause insulin resistance, increased overall caloric intake, and can actually make you hungrier later in the day. Also, they are easily burned by the body for energy.

I don't have articles, but what my trainer and many nutritionists have told me is that you should eat breakfast, but eat a smaller portion made up of more protein and healthy fat, not carbohydrates. This can boost your metabolism earlier in the day, givng you more energy. Also, since they are slow burners when compared to carbohydrates, your body will break down fat stores for energy, which can change your body composition to more lean mass, less fat. It prevents the insulin spike that carbs do. and keeps you fuller for longer throughout the day.

The past month, I've eaten a breakfast of eggs/avocado (~250 calories) or greek yogurt (170 calories). I'll add some fruit if it's a post-workout breakfast. Doesn't hurt my daily calories, gives me more energy, and have lost 8 pounds. My advice is to do what works for you. But when I plateaued and wasn't burning off fat the way I wanted, this is a change that I made that has been paying off. Best of luck on reaching your goals!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat it. Wait until you're hungry.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Who says? I never eat breakfast - intermittent fasting (eating only between 1 and 10 pm) is working wonders for me. Try googling that if you really don't like eating until later in the day (or try Leangains.com).
  • steflbrown
    steflbrown Posts: 168
    Options
    I tend to listen to my body. If I wake up and I'm hungry, I will have a bowl of cereal (Special K is my favorite!!!) with a half cup of milk. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat. It hasn't seemed to have any adverse affects on my weight loss.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I'm an advocate of eating small meals periodically throughout the day.

I'll have a cup of coffee and oatmeal at 7. Protein shake and 20oz of water at 9. Fruit/veggie smoothie at 11. Fresh fruit/veggies at 3. Pretzel sticks at 5. Meat/veggie dinner at 7. Sweet snack at 9. Bedtime at 11.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge breakfast eater either so my go to is a protein bar, a protein shake, or/and fruit. Grab and go. I'm up at 5:30 am but sometimes I won't actually eat anything until 10 or 11am.
  • jnzema
    jnzema Posts: 24
    Options
    I have found eating breakfast actually leads to me getting hungry more frequently during the day. I also can't run or do any type of cardio besides biking with food in my stomach or I feel sick. If I have had a hard work out first thing in the morning though, like with weights I feel better if I eat right after. Usually some yogurt mixed with mashed banana, it fills me up better than cereal, and soothes my stomach.