CLA for Women

Options
I just read this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mike8.htm

I know I can't base a decision to take CLA based on one article from one website - but this looks interesting....

Has CLA worked for you, or the women in your life?

I have stubborn fat - would this work for that?

Thanks!

Alex

Replies

• Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    CLA gave me the worse kidney pain ever. I will never take it again.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    even the "research" part of that article admits the evidence is inconclusive.

I wouldn't waste your money.

EDIT, in fact more the of studies referenced indicate it doesn't do anything.

also see post 4
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112301601&page=1

I have stubborn fat - would this work for that?

no you have to get leaner.
  • LouisianaHott
    Options
    I tried CLA and it would make me sick. I wouldn't waste your money on it
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't think it did anything for me. I took it for a few months - while watching what I ate and exercising and I didn't feel like it "boosted" anything at all. I'm saving my money now.
  • stickyvicky86
    Options
    I started taking it 3 weeks ago iv had no problems with it everyone is different so give it ago it might work for you!!
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    From the referenced web site:
    Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is a mixture of different types of isomers of linoleic acid, primarily position and geometric isomers, which is found preferentially in dairy products and meat.

Here's an idea: how about just eating dairy products and meat?
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure: I'm not a woman.

With that said, I took CLA for about a 3 month stretch and it did nothing for me. For stubborn fat, the one supplement that I've tried that seems to work is Yohimbine HCL, but I'd advice caution if you are sensitive to stimulants.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I took it for 6 months. They were buy 2, get 1 free at the store. It didn't help me lose weight. I actually lost more weight a few months after I stopped taking it than I did while using it. It made me really thirsty all the time and made my lower back hurt, kidney pain as someone else mentioned.

It's just another scam to get your money. Just eat right and exercise and hope for the best.
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is a mixture of different types of isomers of linoleic acid, primarily position and geometric isomers, which is found preferentially in dairy products and meat.

I do eat them - that wasn't the point to me asking...I'm just asking about CLA
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!

I got a feeling kidney pain was the common reaction here....as someone who has had a kidney infection and several kidney stones, I will be staying away from that. Never ever want to risk that pain again!!!

Thanks again!

Alex
  • vidasana87
    Options
    I have not heard of CLA being effective for anyone, but have heard many wonderful things about Yohimbine HCL ( MUST be HCL (hydrochloride)) and in low doses for women.

http://www.strongandfit.net/2009/04/yohimbine-hcl-and-stubborn-fat.html
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options

I do eat them - that wasn't the point to me asking...I'm just asking about CLA

And that wasn't the point of my comment. The point is: there is no magic pill for ridding yourself of "stubborn fat".

Eat well, exercise well, log accurately and be consistent. Lather, rinse, repeat. It may not be easy, but it is fairly simple.
  • SoberAlley
    SoberAlley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A number of years ago (like 7) I was on another forum and someone posted pics of herself before and after taking CLA and the results were astounding. Everybody on the forum ran out and bought it, including me, and I did see remarkable difference. I was already working out and eating fairly well at the time, so I continued doing what I was already doing, and maybe 3-4 weeks after taking the CLA I noticed that my skin was super soft, my stomach was far flatter and more defined, and I looked more toned overall. The one thing, though, is that it was a particular brand that worked and others, not so much. I've been trying to recreate similar results this time around with no success, however. I, like another poster, bought one that was buy 2 get one free and nothing has been happening-- no soft skin, no tone, nada. So I don't know. Might try to buy the original brand I used way back in the day after I run out of these and see if it helps. If not, I'll never buy them again.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the supplement, just eat the food with it.

Kangaroo meat may have the highest concentration of CLA.(LOL) Food products from grass-fed ruminants (e.g. mutton and beef) are good sources of CLA, and contain much more of it than those from grain-fed animals. In fact, meat and dairy products from grass-fed animals can produce 300-500% more CLA than those of cattle fed the usual diet of 50% hay and silage, and 50% grain.

Eggs are also rich in CLA, and CLA in eggs has been shown to survive the temperatures encountered during frying.

Some mushrooms, such as Agaricus bisporus and Agaricus subrufescens, are rare nonanimal sources of CLA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjugated_linoleic_acid
  • deanabailey
    deanabailey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I received a free sample from GNC and was wondering what this was. After reading the replies, I think they can have their free sample back ;)