getting rid of my "fat" clothes

Options
Good afternoon everyone! Today, I had a decided it was time to clean out my closet. There were so many clothes in there that I cannot fit anymore. I don't know if I was subconsciously holding on to them as a crutch. But today, I told myself that I am not going back to that size and I've decided to donate them. They are all good clothes still in good condition, but its time for me to rebuild my wardrobe.
Anyone else having a hard time letting go of old clothes?

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Before joining MFP, I had given up on ever being slim again, and sent my skinny clothes out of the house. Shortly after, I started this program and now I'm 27 lbs. lighter!! So now I'm "afraid" to send my fat clothes away, because it somehow seems like bad luck, since sending the skinny clothes out seemed to start me on the road to being skinny again. Will the fat come back when I send the fat clothes out???

Seriously, I don't think so, since I'm determined and plan on logging my food forever! But I can't quite send the fat things on. It seems like an omen. . . .
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've lost 36 pounds since starting MFP and I'm having trouble letting go of my fat clothes too. Mostly jeans. A part of me feels like I still need them, like one day I'm going to wake up and my skinny jeans won't fit anymore. But yesterday I offered to pass them on to a friend who'd bigger than I am, so I guess that's that!
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I did the samething tigerblue! We had a yard sale last fall, and I got rid of my "skinny" clothes, not that I was ever skinny. But, they were my size 22pants and 2X shirts. I hadn't been able to wear them in over 2 years. I was then in a tight 24 pants and 3X-4X shirt. After loosing 25lbs, my pants were hanging. I looked like a rapper. But, I can't afford clothes every 20lbs or so. So I went and bought one new pair of jeans to wear when we went out. Size 20!! Then I got upset because I went in with a loose 3X shirt on, and came out with a 4X shirt. Sizes are so different nowadays. Anyhow, now that I am at 43lbs off, my size 20's are loose now, and I bought a 2X shirt Friday, that if I didn't have the henia could have been a 1X. I still have my 24 pants, and won't part with them until I get to 150lbs. Then they will go yard sale bound! I do think I will keep one outfit though, just as a friendly reminder of what will happen if I go back to my old habits. Until then, I am yard saling for smaller clothes, and exercise equipment. Have found some really good deals! Keep up the good work ladies!!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten to the point where I need all new clothes, but I do know that when I get near my goal weight, I will never, ever, ever see a single piece of fat clothing again. I'll probably donate them.... But I might just have to burn them for the heck of it. Lol.
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm not at the point where I have to get rid of clothes yet either, but I'm anxiously awaiting losing some of my clothes so I can buy new ones!

I know before I started this time I had some clothes that were actually too big for me even now. I swiftly donated them to a Haiti relief project and was gleeful. I don't imagine it will be hard for me to rid myself of these clothes when the time comes.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The only reason I've had a hard time getting rid of my fat clothes have been because I either got them for a really good deal or because they're super cute. I had one denim skirt I got the first time I gained some weight. It was a 16 and literally hangs on my hips it's so big. I used a seam ripper to tear off one of the bottom tiers so it would be shorter & cuter and I thought I'd take out the zipper and tailor it so it fit. Finally, I decided that wouldn't happen and it was best just to throw it away. So I did. GOOD RIDDANCE. Isn't it therapeutic knowing your fat clothes are gone?
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I said goodbye to size 16 two years ago.
    I said goodbye to size 14 last year.
    I hope to say goodbye to 12 this year and hello to size 10 in 2010. I have been shopping in resale stores to save on expenses. It is fun and doesn't bite the budget so hard. Then, I don't feel guilty giving them away as I am melting. I decided by keeping the bigger sizes I was giving myself permission to slip up to that size again. I am raising the bar for myself this time around. Size 16 and the bad habits that went with them are a part of my former life. This new me requires new habits....and new jeans!:wink:
  • mltchel
    mltchel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I shop the consignment stores around here for "new" clothes while I'm still losing and I take my fat clothes there to sell. I still pay a little but this really is affordable. I have an office job and have to dress professionally. No matter what size we are we can wear clothes that flatter us.
    So absolutely get rid of your fat clothes! Have confidence in yourself and challenge yourself buy buying some skinny pants or skirt that you want to get into so you'll have that to look at instead!
  • ArmyWife815
    Options
    I just started my weight loss journey on Saturday and joined MFP today so I am not ready to give away any clothes yet! :) BUT I had already told myself that as soon as I leave each size I am going to have those clothes dry cleaned and donate them to my local crisis center. So in a few months my size 22/24 clothing will be outta here!!!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to try on all the clothes I own and start packing them into a bin and take some to the consignment shop. There is one near me that specializes in clothes for teens and twenties up ti size 16, which is the biggest size clothes I have. I get cash for the clothes right away, and I can do some shopping. Once I have a pile to take, I'll be heading over there. But I don't think I'll get rid of all of my biggest clothes yet, i'll probably wait a while... just because I can't stand to get rid of them just in case.
  • theartsymom
    Options
    I've lost 27lbs to date and I have to get rid of my fat clothes too. :) I put them all in boxes and *tried* to sell them at my garage sale. Unfortunately, all the people who came were either larger than the sizes I had or smaller than the sizes I had. I'd hate to just throw them out and I'd hate to donate them when a lot of them are brand new clothes and we could use some money. I'll keep trying, but at the end of the summer if they don't go I'm going to have to just donate them. I'd hate for those great clothes to go to waste. I just know I won't ever let myself fit into those sizes anymore. I've totally moved myself to a healthy lifestyle and I love every minute of it. :)

I understand what you were saying about keeping those as a crutch. I just feel that if we all keep our fat clothes, we're subconsciously telling ourselves that it's "ok" to get back to that weight. :) None of us want that!!
  • genann
    genann Posts: 236
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! Today, I had a decided it was time to clean out my closet. There were so many clothes in there that I cannot fit anymore. I don't know if I was subconsciously holding on to them as a crutch. But today, I told myself that I am not going back to that size and I've decided to donate them. They are all good clothes still in good condition, but its time for me to rebuild my wardrobe.
    Anyone else having a hard time letting go of old clothes?

I've always had a problem getting rid of my clothes, but from now on when I get into a smaller size I'm going to take them to work and give them to people that may need them. I always told myself I'd hang on to them just in case I gained my weight back and needed them. This is not a good state of mind for me, now I know I"m not going to gain it back, so I know I will never need them again.:smile:
  • DwightJenkins
    DwightJenkins Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've gone through several stages of 'transitional' clothes... I'm still not at my final size... but before you toss them, pick out one pair of pants and a shirt to save for your 'after' picture... In my case I'll be able to fit myself and a barbershop quartet in mine. :)
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Must be something in the air today, because I went through my clothes, too. I have so many various sizes and so many things I never wear either. Put anything for Salvation Army in a bag, including clothes that are too big for me now. I think we subconsciously hold on to them thinking 'what if.....". This just forces me to keep going forward and downhill on the scale, not vice versa.
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Way to go girl!! That is wonderful, you should be very proud of yourself!! That is an exciting feeling isn't it, I just did the very same thing!!!!! You are right to get rid of them because you are never going back to that, right?? RIGHT!!! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK YOU ARE WORTH IT!!
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have lost 86 lbs and went from a size 22 pants to a size 12. I have rubbermade tubs full of clothes that are far too big. I think about getting rid of them all of the time but have not done it yet. I am afraid that weight is going to come back and I will have gotten rid of all of my nice clothes.
    I don't want the weight to come back, I don't want to have to pull out those clothes!

I am going to take them and donate them somewhere, I don't need to keep the constant reminder about the person I was!
  • ChiWaWaMaMa4
    Options
    I also am getting ready to go through my clothes.... I have lost nearly 50lbs but have tons to go still... but I have about 10 different sizes inm y closet... I am gonna donate them or sell the new ones on eBay so I can afford to get new styles that fit!!LMAO!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to read all of these responses. I had a closet full of clothes that no longer fit and had a hard time letting them go. I guess it seemed "wasteful" because I'd spent quite a bit of money on them. I realized one day that the real waste is in letting them hang there unused. So I bagged them up and took them to the Goodwill donation center. I was AMAZED at how good I felt as I was driving away. I'd thought I'd feel bad... but the feeling was completely opposite. :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm extra lucky because my mom can tailor my clothes to fit my new size. This saves me money (no need to buy all new stuff while I'm in transition)

But my rule is, if it was a cheap item of clothing (Target/Walmart/etc.), I must discard or donate it once it is too large. My nice stuff (work clothes/more expensive things) is the stuff I get my mom to alter for me. When I hot my goal, I will donate all of it and reward myself with all new things. But that's awhile off still LOL
  • genann
    genann Posts: 236
    Options
    I've gone through several stages of 'transitional' clothes... I'm still not at my final size... but before you toss them, pick out one pair of pants and a shirt to save for your 'after' picture... In my case I'll be able to fit myself and a barbershop quartet in mine. :)

Great idea.....