Frustration! (whining)

Options
So....I started out doing really well. Walking, spinning, dvd dancing - yeah! Saw a couple of pounds come off in the first few days, and it was awesome.

Then, I fell down the stairs.

Not badly, mind you - I'm fine, nothing broken. But my ankles and knees were banged up and swollen, and I had to spend a couple of days off them (or face the angry swelling and pain).

I did some light spinning yesterday, and did my first walk since Sunday today. I didn't got as far, or as quickly as usual, but hey - at least I went.

What's frustrating is that I feel like I lost a little momentum, and maybe those lost couple of pounds found their way home? Is that even possible?

I was just feeling really amped, til I took my tumble. Now I feel like I've had a set-back, and it's frustrating.

/whine

Replies

• FettsLady
    FettsLady Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing the right thing and getting moving again! My only advice would be to listen to your body. If it HURTS, then stop or move to a lower impact activity. I have pushed myself through bad pain before only to end up taking two steps back and not being able to move at all.

Keep up the good work!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    LIFE HAPPENS! Don't turn a bad day into a bad week or bad month. If you can't exercise, just really watch the calories. Good Luck
  • KateRepine
    KateRepine Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Could you maybe try some swimming? I've heard that works great for a low impact exercise. Hope you heal up quickly though!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. Log faithfully and stay at your calorie goal. You'll be fine.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    It's okay!! It's gonna be okay I promise.

You're gonna feel better again soon as long as you don't overdo it too quickly. Eat clean and stay within your goals and there's no reason you should gain any weight back. The healthier you eat, the better you'll feel. It's rough when your legs are hurting because there's very little you can do, but try doing strength exercises, any yoga that doesn't hurt too much. I like to hula hoop when my legs are sore.
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    Options
    Falling down the stairs was an accident, it wasn't like you gave up and pigged out for a week. It was out of your control. That being said, you're doing the right thing by slowly getting back into it, walking and spinning at levels you can handle. It doesn't sound like you lost motivation to me, if you're back on the bike already. Just do what you can, stay within your limits and you'll feel better and get stronger!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    90% of weight loss is your food intake. You don't need to go off the rails because you can't exercise.
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    swimming yes GREAT IDEA! do that!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    It is going to be a very long road for you if you get this upset by one minor set back.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, I got totally derailed because I slipped on some ice and hurt my knee. It hurt just long enough for me to get out of the habit of walking. I let it totally get me off track.

This time around, I couldn't work out at all for almost the 1st 2 months due to a severe blood clot in my leg. I could only calorie restrict, but I still lost weight.

Having said that, the only thing that will stop you is quitting. Everything else just ads a bit of time to how long it will take you to lose the weight, which isn't all that important, as long as you eventually do it. There is no time limit. It gets done when it gets done.
  • BellamyS
    BellamyS Posts: 6
    Options
    Don't let this get you down.. I think we can all remember a time when we were amped and motivated only to be struck down by life.

Remember its not what happens TO you in life that defines you, it's how you deal with it, that's what counts.

You care enough about it to write a post so that tells me that the motivation is still there inside of you :-)
    Stop feeling guilty / down about falling, it could happen to anyone and you did the right thing to stop exercising and let your body heal. Try and stay positive and all will be well.

Good luck :-)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You won't be in pain forever. You need to rest when you're sick or hurt - it can actually kill you to work out too hard when you're sick.

Don't strain your body while it's healing, don't stress about potentially gaining it back, and most importantly don't feel bad about it. You are human, and this is life. Things beyond your control are gonna happen, and they may temporarily interrupt your plans. You can get back to giving 100% when your body is feeling 100%.

In the meantime, there are other things you can do to stay focused on your health goals. Why not write out a healthy meal plan for the week and do as much food prep as you can in advance? That'll save you time you can spend exercising when you're fully healed.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Do something low impact.. swimming is an awesome option. Hope you feel better soon!
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    3 weeks ago, I got sick (severe girl cramps - had to quit my workout instantly and drove home in tears it was that bad) I had 3 days off work sick, each day thinking I will go back to the gym tonight, I will be fine! I thought I was being lazy, and tried to exercise every couple of days for 3 weeks but having to stop 5 minutes in because of the pain. I was really worried that I was going to lose my momentum and stop enjoying the gym. It was last Thursday that I finally got back to it, I started slow, and have been everyday since except Saturday. By Monday I was back up to normal and feeling good.

So just don't rush it, start off low and slow to avoid hurting yourself and you will back at it in no time.
    But watch your calories whilst you are not moving so much!
  • phoenixrizez
    phoenixrizez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It's not whining it's venting. This journey towards a healthier body is a long one. I am sure you have reached the point where you REALLY want to make his change and you CAN! Just keep working at it. Your body will heal and you can ramp back up again. For now? Log our food and move when you can. You WILL GET THERE because we are ALL rooting for you! #goodluck
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Dont push yourself
    I feel skiing 6 weeks ago and tore my Calf muscle . I have been in Physiotherapy 3 times a week up until this last week now i am only going every 3 to 4 days . It was and has been a long haul but i did not gain weight in fact i lost 3 Lbs just by tracking EVERYTHING i put in my body and now i am back to running and cardio just no jumping and l listen to my body and did not push it if you are hurting do not do it as it will just take you longer to get back to 100 % so by Eating clean drink lots of water and that will help you to heal faster if you can add a homemade green juice to your diet everyday as it is so good for you
  • staci4567
    Options
    When I first started my food and excercise program before Christmas, I slipped on a throw rug and fractured my ankle. The good that came out of copletely sitting on my butt was the food issue. Couldn't eat what I couldn't crawl to. So, let that be your motivation...LOL
  • Eyesblu
    Eyesblu Posts: 60
    Options
    Life brings set backs...there will always be something that trys to throw us off track. We just need to be sure that we get back on track and not allow the small hills to deter us from our goal. :)
  • bailyc
    bailyc Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was in a car accident last summer that resulted in three broken ribs and some lung tissue damage. Working out was completely out of the question for about 3 months. I had to set my goal to 0.5-1 lb a week loss instead of the 2 lb a week because I wouldn't have the extra calories to eat back. My progress slowed for those several months but progress is progress! Let your body heal and take this time to focus on your diet and calories!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not just cardio. I fell some years back that was my Ah Hah moment. I lift more than cardio so that I can build the major muscles to hold my knee. There are tons of different things to try.