Personal Trainer Advice and Experiences

Options
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a bit of advice. Many thanks in advance.

I have just joined MFP today. I am not looking to lose weight; I would like to tone up etc etc

However, I have no idea of where to start and what suits me best.

I have looked around online a bit and found a personal trainer within my local vicinity who charges £40 for two sessions a week one to one sessions.

I am not sure whether that's a good idea. On the plus side, I think that I will benefit from having a program as I don't know anything about strength training, body conditioning, weight lifting etc etc and learn proper techniques.

On the down side, it's the cost - so it would be extremely helpful if I could have some feedbacks from people who have or have had a PT?

Many many thanks. Truly appreciate.

Respectfully,
A

Replies

• Grumpy2208
    Options
    Bump!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Well, that would be a really good price for around here, so that's cool.

I absolutely love my trainer. If nothing else, it's great to start with one so they can show you good form - you can do a lot by having someone video you, but it's always better to just have someone there who can fix it while you're working. And you don't have to stay with them forever - be upfront that you want to get set up, learn the exercises, get the plan, go off on your own for awhile and pop in for a session or two whenever you feel like you need the extra help.

I mean, make sure they're good at what they do - if you're getting hurt, or don't feel like you're making any progress, don't keep going back to the same trainer that's messing you up. But a good trainer is totally worth it.
  • Grumpy2208
    Options
    Well, that would be a really good price for around here, so that's cool.

I absolutely love my trainer. If nothing else, it's great to start with one so they can show you good form - you can do a lot by having someone video you, but it's always better to just have someone there who can fix it while you're working. And you don't have to stay with them forever - be upfront that you want to get set up, learn the exercises, get the plan, go off on your own for awhile and pop in for a session or two whenever you feel like you need the extra help.

I mean, make sure they're good at what they do - if you're getting hurt, or don't feel like you're making any progress, don't keep going back to the same trainer that's messing you up. But a good trainer is totally worth it.

Thank you so much. That's very insightful. That's what I was thinking too - to actually learn the techniques so I could practice at home, be confident to do it by myself etc etc
    Could I ask how many times a week do you have your training sessions?
    I know everyone is different but am trying to make an informed decision.

At the moment I can only go once a week - would that be effective or just not enough workout - if you know what I mean.

You are ace. Many thanks
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    That is a really good price! I wish I could give advice but I don't have a personal trainer right now.

I would advise though to meet with said trainer more than once and see how you like him or her.. also shop around if you haven't already. You may only need the personal trainer for a couple sessions to show you how to do moves at home or atleast on your own.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Also once a week is OK, as long as you are able to commit and not waste the trainer's time, it's good for both of you :)

I know trainers charge extra if you don't show up
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    If you're just getting started and can comfortably afford it, I think a personal trainer is a good idea. I see someone twice a week and as I've gotten back into lifting, it's been really beneficial to have someone helping me with proper form right out of the gate. As with anything else, there are good trainers and not so good ones so you'll need to do your homework, but my experience has been very positive.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I started out with once a week, but have had better gains since I went to twice. And I go to the gym 3-4 times per week on my own. I think it probably would have been better to start with twice, because then there wouldn't have been so much time to forget stuff between sessions, but once would probably be ok once you got the basics down. And even once was definitely an improvement over doing things on my own - my squats were so sucky I had to totally relearn how to do them.

If I won the lottery, I'd see my trainer every day. But, yeah, twice is working just fine.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Do the free trial, then do what they show you on your own. Don't listen to what they say, PTs will want you to believe you can't do it with out them.
  • Grumpy2208
    Options
    That is a really good price! I wish I could give advice but I don't have a personal trainer right now.

I would advise though to meet with said trainer more than once and see how you like him or her.. also shop around if you haven't already. You may only need the personal trainer for a couple sessions to show you how to do moves at home or atleast on your own.

Thank you for such a good advice. I looked around before picking him and reading all the credentials and spoke to him etc etc
    and yes that's what I am hoping for eventually.
    To be honest, I watched a lot of videos on youtube and got totally overwhelmed and couldn't follow anything.

Many thanks x
  • Grumpy2208
    Options
    Also once a week is OK, as long as you are able to commit and not waste the trainer's time, it's good for both of you :)

I know trainers charge extra if you don't show up

Yes
  • Grumpy2208
    Options
    Do the free trial, then do what they show you on your own. Don't listen to what they say, PTs will want you to believe you can't do it with out them.

Thank you for the sound advice.
    Alas, there's no trial period. I wish there was!
    And I will bear the other bit in mind!
    Thanks you are a cool dude
  • Grumpy2208
    Options
    I started out with once a week, but have had better gains since I went to twice. And I go to the gym 3-4 times per week on my own. I think it probably would have been better to start with twice, because then there wouldn't have been so much time to forget stuff between sessions, but once would probably be ok once you got the basics down. And even once was definitely an improvement over doing things on my own - my squats were so sucky I had to totally relearn how to do them.

If I won the lottery, I'd see my trainer every day. But, yeah, twice is working just fine.

haha
    Am actually gonna listen to you. You make a lot of sense.
    I will try to make it twice to begin with then to get the most out of it.
    I have never been to a gym so it's all kind of new to me.
    Thanks a mil x
  • redraider08
    redraider08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used to be a PT (ACE & ISSA; first with Gold's Gym, then independent). IMO, that's a really GOOD price (~$30/session in US dollars?). My advice would be do first determine what certifications he or she has. Just about anyone can get "certified" online these days, so you need to be careful. The ACE, ISSA, NASM and ACSM are all accredited and universally recognized cert organizations. And, again IMO, anyone with "C.S.C.S" is usually worth their weight in gold but can be pricey.

In my experience, this is one of those areas where you definitely get what you pay for (though some PTs are a bit too "proud" of what they can offer).
  • Grumpy2208
    Options
    If you're just getting started and can comfortably afford it, I think a personal trainer is a good idea. I see someone twice a week and as I've gotten back into lifting, it's been really beneficial to have someone helping me with proper form right out of the gate. As with anything else, there are good trainers and not so good ones so you'll need to do your homework, but my experience has been very positive.

Thanks.
    Do you leave a gap between the days?
    At the moment if I do see him, I will have to see him on saturday and sunday - would that be bad?
    I asked the PT over the phone and he said it's not a problem as we can work different muscle group on different days etc but then again as someone just mentioned it - I oughtn't believe everything the PT say on that front!

Thanks
  • Grumpy2208
    Options
    I used to be a PT (ACE & ISSA; first with Gold's Gym, then independent). IMO, that's a really GOOD price (~$30/session in US dollars?). My advice would be do first determine what certifications he or she has. Just about anyone can get "certified" online these days, so you need to be careful. The ACE, ISSA, NASM and ACSM are all accredited and universally recognized cert organizations. And, again IMO, anyone with "C.S.C.S" is usually worth their weight in gold but can be pricey.

In my experience, this is one of those areas where you definitely get what you pay for (though some PTs are a bit too "proud" of what they can offer).

OMG I have absolutely no clue about certification etc etc
    on his website it says
    BA ( hons )
    reps level 3 personal trainer
    extreme kettlebell instructor
    olympic weighlifting instructor

what does that mean?
    as you were a PT maybe you can help please?

Many many thanks
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Thank you for such a good advice. I looked around before picking him and reading all the credentials and spoke to him etc etc
    To be honest, I watched a lot of videos on youtube and got totally overwhelmed and couldn't follow anything.

Many thanks x

That's a very natural reaction.. when I first started working out, it was a lot.. I think it's wonderful that you care enough about yourself to see a professional on how to do moves properly. There's nothing more discouraging than becoming injured. Best of luck love xx
  • Grumpy2208
    Options

Many thanks x

That's a very natural reaction.. when I first started working out, it was a lot.. I think it's wonderful that you care enough about yourself to see a professional on how to do moves properly. There's nothing more discouraging than becoming injured. Best of luck love xx

Many many thanks for such a positive response.
    And yes, I always consult the professionals who have expertise in their specific fields before doing anything in life really. I am like that. I don't mind paying extra as long as I know that it's worth the money.
    And I agree re the injuries. I am a distance runner and it sucks when injuries happen. Touch wood, I have never been injured in the last 15 years or so.

Many many thanks. Awesome becomes you x
  • redraider08
    redraider08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

what does that mean?

Many many thanks

Well, if you want you can PM me a link and I'll be happy to check his site out for you.

But, remember, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION! I'm not an expert and my bio-mechanics/kinesiology knowledge might very well pale in comparison to his.

I'd ask these are the questions I'd ask:
    BA ( hons )

A "B.A." in what? Most PTs have a "B.S." (Bachelor's of Science). I;d be interested to know what Bachelor's of Arts he has and how it relates to personal training, otherwise why list it?

Based on what scale? I'm reps level 389 on World of Warcraft. Impressed? ;) (Not really! lol) And what organizations' cert?

Same question as above. I can instruct you in "extreme cheetos eating". Impressed?

Based on what? His participation in the Olympics?

The point is when a PT tells you they're certified, it of utmost importance to know WHO certified/trained THEM. You see? This guy might be the best trainer this side of Charles Poliquin (consider the "godfather of personal training to may in the biz. As a matter of fact, THAT could be the test: does he have any idea who Poliquin is?! LOL... J/K.. a little.).
  • Grumpy2208
    Options

what does that mean?

Many many thanks

Well, if you want you can PM me a link and I'll be happy to check his site out for you.

But, remember, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION! I'm not an expert and my bio-mechanics/kinesiology knowledge might very well pale in comparison to his.

I'd ask these are the questions I'd ask:
    BA ( hons )

A "B.A." in what? Most PTs have a "B.S." (Bachelor's of Science). I;d be interested to know what Bachelor's of Arts he has and how it relates to personal training, otherwise why list it?

Based on what scale? I'm reps level 389 on World of Warcraft. Impressed? ;) (Not really! lol) And what organizations' cert?

Same question as above. I can instruct you in "extreme cheetos eating". Impressed?

Based on what? His participation in the Olympics?

The point is when a PT tells you they're certified, it of utmost importance to know WHO certified/trained THEM. You see? This guy might be the best trainer this side of Charles Poliquin (consider the "godfather of personal training to may in the biz. As a matter of fact, THAT could be the test: does he have any idea who Poliquin is?! LOL... J/K.. a little.).

Wow. You are so impressive. Many many thanks.
    I would never have thought this way. Honestly, that just shows how dumb I am duh
    Thank you so much
    I have sent you a friend request.
    Thank you kindly.

I just googled Poliquin. Obviously. Lol. I learnt something new today due to you.