MFP Forbidden Topic

Options
I have something I want to get off my chest. I am currently on day 27 of the 40 day HCG Diet. MFP and many other nutrition experts look down on this diet because of the risky "rules" that go along with it. For those that do not know much about the diet, let me give you a run down of how it works...

* HCG is a naturally produced hormone that newly pregnant women produce that uses fat stored in the body (near the hips, thighs, and midsection) to take to the new growing baby. This diet uses this hormone to trick the body into thinking it is pregnant so it releases the fat to a non-existent baby. Well, here is the key... You are not actually pregnant.

* While on this diet, you are supposed to abide by a strict set of dietary rules. Brace yourself, because this is where it looses most people. But do yourself a favor and keep reading... You are only allowed 500 calories per day. I know, I know. It sounds crazy. But hear me out... in addition to the 500 calories per day, you have to keep your carbs, fats, and sugars low. All of this coupled with keeping your protein high.

* If you are still reading, you are doing yourself a favor! Try to understand this logic. The nutrients you body burns as energy is carbs, then sugars (because they turn to carbs), then calories, then fat. Then it starts eating away at your stored protein (muscle) which is where you get yourself in trouble.

* You see, if you consume very minimal amounts of calories, carbs, sugars, and fats, your body has to get energy from somewhere. And the only place left to get the energy needed is the stored fat in your body. This is where the HCG comes into play. Since your body is going to naturally take the path of least resistance in order to get the energy it needs, it is going to burn the fat the HCG has tricked your body into releasing from around your midsection areas. You must remember to keep your protein intake high so that your body will not burn your stored muscle to use for energy.

* Now, do not get me wrong. This can be a very risky diet. With taking so little calories, it is easy to miss the other nutrients your body needs. For this reason, you must take multi-vitamins, calcium supplements, and I take a vitamin B6 and B12 supplement as well (to help with extra energy). If taking the correct supplements, you will not be lacking the nutrition you need to stay perfectly healthy.

* You will go to the doctor every other week for a 'check up'. During this check up, you will be weighed and the doctor will ask you questions to determine if you are going about the diet in a healthy way so you do not get yourself sick and malnourished.

At day 27 I have lost 16 pounds. I am averaging about 1/2 pounds per day in weight loss. Many loose more than I, mainly because I do not have a tremendous amount to loose anyway. The heavier you are, the more you loose, generally. The average for most people is a 1/2 pound to 1 pound in weight loss per day. Also, I do not follow the diet exactly. I am very close, but I make my own personal modifications to best suit me and my lifestyle.

A sample day for me... I enjoy seafood, but it can be beef or chicken if you prefer.

Breakfast... Activia Light - Calories 60 - Carbs 10g - Sugars 7g - Fat 0g - Protein 4g
Lunch... Grilled or Broiled 4oz Tuna Steak - Calories 123 - Carbs 0g - Sugars 7g - Fat 1g - Protein 28g
Lunch... Just for One Italian Broccoli/Carrots Tray - Calories 40 - Carbs 7g - Sugars 3g - Fat 2g - Protein 1g
Dinner... 8-10 Grilled Shrimp - Calories 93 - Carbs 0g - Sugars 0g - Fat 1g - Protein 17g
Dinner... 1/2 cup Bay Scallops - Calories 100 - Carbs 0g - Sugars 0g - Fat 1g - Protein 17g
Dinner... Just for One Cheesy Cauliflower - Calories 40 - Carbs 8g - Sugars 2g - Fat 1g - Protein 2g

Totals: Calories 456 - Carbs 25g - Sugars 19g - Fat 6g - Protein 69g

Everyone should understand that this diet is not for everyone. Only you and your doctor can determine if you are a good fit. I know there are many skeptics out there. I understand why. However, if you are careful and eat the correct things throughout the day, this diet will work. If anyone has any questions about it, please ask. I will be more than happy to answer anything I can.

Replies

• pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It's not a forbidden topic, just a highly debatable one. I can say with all assurance that I would never do this.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    What happens when you resume normal eating?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Actually, yes this is a forbidden topic, as it is against forum rules to promote diets that encourage that little bit of eating.

FYI - this thread won't be around too much longer.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It is a forbidden topic because the diet is basically anorexia. There's a reason 500-calorie-a-day diets are forbidden.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that our users follow the calorie guidelines automatically assigned by our site, unless they are under the direct supervision of a doctor. We are currently reviewing the medical literature on the HCG/500 calorie diet and reserve the right to moderate against discussions of this diet at any time in the future.

Thank you all for your concern. We're definitely looking closely at this issue.

Regards,
    CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.