Protein bars

Options
What is a good kind to get that is high in protein and doesn't have saturated fat? I was at Wal-mart today and I tried to buy some but every one I looked at had a bunch of sugar and saturated fat in them. I looked at Luna, Fiber One protein bars, and a couple other ones.

Replies

• SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I prefer quest bars and think thin bars. More expensive but I think they're better than a walmart/grocery store brand.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are good. They arent cheap, almost $3 a bar. But they have tons of fiber and are filling
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i tend to stay away from them and just eat my protein - chicken, eggs, pork, steak, greek yogurt, etc...doing that I hit my protein goals every day and mix in an ocassional protein shake..
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I like the clif builder bars. They are not low cal, at 270 calories, but they are very balanced and taste great.
  • thejubster1
    thejubster1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I tend to stick to the Nice & Natural nut bars, or just little 40gr snack packs of walnuts, almonds, cashews..... Enough proteins and good fats. I seem to find other bars a little fake tasting and too sweet
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I like the quest bars as well, but prefer to avoid bars and use them only when I cannot find another option. It is difficult for manufacturer's to make them tasty enough so they usually contain quite a few carbs and sugar.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I finally gave up protein bars---instead I slice apples into thin strips with almond butter on the side, or eat a small baggie of walnuts with dried fruit, or a little tupperware container of Greek Gods Greek Yogurt with fresh berries.....I made this choice because I think protein bars are just candy bars with some added protein. Okay, once in a big while I'll have a Luna bar---but not every day like I once did. Good luck.
  • Leanna423
    Leanna423 Posts: 13
    Options
    Got it....thanks everyone
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You are right but I love the convenience of them.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Fair warning, the only bar mentioned in this thread that can really be considered a "protein bar" would be the Quest bar. All of the others are nutrition bars, with just a bit of protein thrown in. Even the Luna Protein brand barely has any protein in it compared to the other macros.

And always make sure to check the actual macros on bars and shakes. Many things calling themselves protein bars or shakes have less than 10 grams of protein and usually more than double that of carbs.

Eggs (whites, if trying to keep fat low), chicken breast, white flesh fish, lean pork, and turkey are my go-to items for my daily protein. I usually have no problem hitting my protein, or exceeding it without the use of supplements.

I do sometimes still enjoy a protein bar or nutrition bar as a snack, but not because I'm trying to make up for a lack of something, it's just because they are tasty, calorie dense, and convenient to keep in my desk drawer.
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    I get mine from Costco, its premire nutrition...

I checked the macros,

37% carb
    20% fat
    43% protein
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I get mine from Costco, its premire nutrition...

I checked the macros,

37% carb
    20% fat
    43% protein
    I'm so jealous that your Costco still carries them. I'm not a huge fan of protein bars, but those were good and high in protein.
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I also use the Quest bars on occasion.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Think Thin bars. 20 grams of protein and 0 sugars. On my days off, I eat real food all day, but if I don't feel like packing a big lunch for work or if I desperately need to add more protein to my day, I eat one of those. Delicious.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a brand of protein bar that doesn't use soy protein? I have yet to find one, though I did find out I can drink Muscle Milk.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Herbalife protein bars are great. I eat one everyday, TONS of protein! Let me know if you have questions!
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Quest Bars are amazing. Most protein bars are glorified candy bars, but these rock. Totally worth the extra $.
  • filthyfit12
    Options
    I'm on the Quest Bar train, too!
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    In case you missed it:

Quest Bars.
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    so.....I'm going to buy some Quest bars!
    Who carries them??