Which is better?

Options
I'm looking for a workout DVD program to use at home for days I cant make it to the gym or just don't want to go to the gym... I have seen many of you talking about these programs, and I'm just curious which would be best to start with.

Jillian Michael's 30 day shred

P90 / P90X

Insanity

Any others that I am missing? What do you recommend?

Thanks!

EDIT:

Sorry, I didn't think to include my info... here goes:

I want to lose weight, build/tone muscle. I am 28 years old and 5'1". I started at 236lbs, I am down to 208lbs and have been at 208lbs for a little over 2 months now! I have a gym membership and I typically do cardio 5-6 days a week and I do the weight machines 2 days a week, but the last few weeks I have been slacking like no other! Lack of motivation I guess... But since I stopped losing weight, I decided to start tracking body measurements. Since February 7th I have lost a total of 10.25 inches from my body. So, at least I am showing progress even if its not on the scale.

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Lose weight? Gain strength? Gain muscle mass? Change your body composition?
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    First of all, tell us what you're looking to do. Just lose a bunch of weight? Get some muscle mass?

ETA: without that information it's hard to help you but here are some helpful hints:
    -p90x requires you buying equipment such as bands/weights, pull up bar, etc... Insanity does not require any equipment.
    -p90x is a great mix of cardio and resistance training and will help you change your body composition as well as gain muscle and lose fat.
    -Insanity is ALL cardio. They are lots of JUMPS in this program so if you have bad knees, hips, etc.. it might not be right for you. It is very high intensity cardio (plyometrics)

I could go on but I think these are the basics that might help you.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I LOVE kettleworx. Strength training and cardio combined! Fun too!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your current fitness level. I would start with 30 Day Shred if you're more of beginner. If you're comfortable with the idea of a really hardcore workout, go for P90X or Insanity.
  • ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have Body Revolution by Jillian Michaels - it's a 90 program with 30 min. workouts.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    They're all in the same class of exercise: cardio/conditioning. So go with whichever one appeals to you most, provided that it's inline with your fitness goals. Do you have fitness goals? What are they?
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    To start off with? I would go with 30DS... I did 30DS and now I'm doing Insanity. They are all good so just pick whatever looks fun to you.

Good luck.
  • tRiNaBeAnZz
    tRiNaBeAnZz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love TurboFire! Not as intense as Insanity but a lot of low impact dance/kickboxing. Very fun and good music!
  • ijacobus23
    Options
    I use Insanity and I love it. The first time I used it I had not worked out for a few years and after having two kids I was completely out of shape. Insanity is a lot of cardio and muscle training using your own body not any out side weights, this along with my fitness pal helped me lose about 20lb and toned me up. I plan on doing the Insanity program again and when I'm finished I want to get P90x to help get some more muscle definition.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I do Walking Away the Pounds. It's a total body workout and I use toning bands or chords with all of my workouts. I started doing the 5 mile walk...I burned 1260 calories. It truly work and it's cheaper then the other ones you mentioned. What I like about this series, because she have a lot of dvd's, if you don't have the time to do all the miles, you can do how many you want. Sometimes I can only do 1 mile which is 15 minutes then there are days that I can do more. It all depends on how much time I have and if my knees will cooperate with more then 15 minutes...hahahaha. But even with the 1 mile, you're working up a sweat.

If you use cable, they have their own fitness channel...they have some wonderful workouts. A few weeks ago I tried belly dancing...hahahahaha. All in all, it all depends on how much you want to pay and if you can do floor exercises. I can't so floor workouts, so doing the Walking series truly works well for me.
  • ijacobus23
    Options
    How long have you been doing KettleWorx? Do you fell like you burn a lot of fat and gain muscle definition?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a workout DVD program to use at home for days I cant make it to the gym or just don't want to go to the gym... I have seen many of you talking about these programs, and I'm just curious which would be best to start with.

Jillian Michael's 30 day shred

P90 / P90X

Insanity

Any others that I am missing? What do you recommend?

Thanks!

There are literally hundreds of DVD workouts that you can do ......

The most effective one .... is the one that you will do.

collagevideo.com and totalfitnessdvds.com are websites that sell exercise videos. You can view clips & read reviews.

Get an idea what you're looking for (by doing some window shopping) first.
  • hmaddy84
    hmaddy84 Posts: 44
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I edited my original post to include my info... but I'll post it again down here too.

I want to lose weight, build/tone muscle. I am 28 years old and 5'1". I started at 236lbs, I am down to 208lbs and have been at 208lbs for almost 2 months now! I have a gym membership and I typically do cardio 5-6 days a week and I do the weight machines 2 days a week, but the last few weeks I have been slacking like no other! Lack of motivation I guess... But since I stopped losing weight, I decided to start tracking body measurements. Since February 7th I have lost a total of 10.25 inches from my body. So, at least I am showing progress even if its not on the scale.
  • hmaddy84
    Options
    I LOVE kettleworx. Strength training and cardio combined! Fun too!

I just googled this. Thanks. I'll add it to my list of possibilities!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    welll all these programs are good basis for getting you into shape. Eventually youll have to come up with your own routines...Based on your last reply, id say p90x should do it. It will help you build muscle and help with cardio strength, not as much as insanity in regards to cardio, but will still be good.
  • hmaddy84
    Options
    I have Body Revolution by Jillian Michaels - it's a 90 program with 30 min. workouts.

Another one to add to the list. Thanks