how to log insanity

Options
hey all, what do you put in the exercise section of mfp when you do insanity? any rough estimates? how do you measure how many calories you burned? thanks

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    if you don't have a heart rate monitor the best thing you can do to try to be somewhat accurate is to log it as either circuit training (general) or calisthenics (vigorous) for the duration of the workout minus the warmup/cooldown sections.
  • DanceFittDiva
    DanceFittDiva Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The best choice is to get a HRM. You can find some that are reasonably priced. After you work that hard, don't you want to know a more accurate reading of calories burned rather than an estimate. What I can tell you that I've found out is that MFP undercalculates calories burned if you use it only. That was the case for me.
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    What I have done is base it on this, if I sweat like a maniac which you probably will alot, I put it down as circuit trainiing for the enitre length of the video/workout. If it is a rest day that is mostly stretching or recover I use Aerobic- low impact for the length of the video. If It was a heavy workout but I just wasn't into it as usual, I put it down as Aerobics - high impact for the length of the video. Tracking like this has helped me lose 34 pounds to date. Something must workout ok. :O) Hope this helps.

Now I have a fitbit and I find I actually burn way more then any of those but I still track it the same way and let my fitbit adjust in the end.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I agree about the HRM, it's a worthwhile investment!

I have a friend who logs Insanity as 'high-impact aerobics' - maybe try that?
  • the1captain
    the1captain Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Thanks. Just tried a few insanity workouts. Based on the calculations I'm burning WAY more calories than I thought I was.
  • donnareadman7
    donnareadman7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Thanks. Just tried a few insanity workouts. Based on the calculations I'm burning WAY more calories than I thought I was.

You're welcome, glad I could help :-).
  • writetomab
    writetomab Posts: 226
    Options
    I have been tracking my Insanity workouts using a HRM and on average it seems to be between 530-600 cals per workout. That is only for the workout itself and no doubt your body will continue to burn additional calories for hours after the Excercise.