How can you be sure your measurements are accurate?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I keep saying people raving about losing inches and whatnot... but I don't get it. I've tried taking my measurements, but depending on whether the tape was at the right place, and I was squeezing more or less... the numbers were never the same. How can that be accurate? Am I missing something?

The only accurate way of measuring my loss so far seems to be how clothes fit...

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Consistency is key.

Same tape measure, measuring the same place on your body (right above that freckle on your thigh as an example), etc.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    First, realize all of the measurement are estimates and usually account for a +/-2% variation. What is important is to measure which ever way you want and try to repeat the process as precisely matched as you can each time. This will let you track the progress overall - even if it is off a few percent. This is akin to people who worry about different scales showing a few pounds difference. Fact is, if you weight 200 pounds on one scale and 204 on another, then 4 weeks later weighed 196 on the first and 200 on the other, even though you have lost 4 pounds, people will always worry the second scale was "off".

It's about the progress!
  • CielArdent9
    Options
    Yeah, use the same spot and the same tape. I measure myself once a week after I weigh myself on Sundays, that helps me stay motivated and focused.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I keep saying people raving about losing inches and whatnot... but I don't get it. I've tried taking my measurements, but depending on whether the tape was at the right place, and I was squeezing more or less... the numbers were never the same. How can that be accurate? Am I missing something?

The only accurate way of measuring my loss so far seems to be how clothes fit...

But... but... but... what about the variances in the fabric when clothing is washed vesus unwashed? What about water retention making your clothes tighter? What about materials getting old and worn out and thusly losing their elasticity? You could gain .5 pounds and not realize it because your clothes still fit!

I kid... kind of. In the end it comes down to picking a method and TRUSTING it, or just going by how you FEEL and how you LOOK in the mirror. If you don't trust the scale, your measurements, or (in my example) your clothing, why even try to measure it in those ways?
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think measuring is all bogus. I think it is primarily how you look in the mirror and how you feel. After a while even weighing doesn't seem to make sense. The only real way to figure out body fat percentages are a body pod thing and even those are tricky because you have to hold really still and can't breath lol. Oh well. I can see how I've changed considerably by just looking in the mirror.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I measure regularly because it's hard for me to see changes just by looking in the mirror. I always try to measure at the same spots (top of the thigh, widest part of the hips, smallest part of the waist). It is hard to get an accurate measurement if you measure too often, because human error can account for small changes on the measuring tape. But once you really start losing inches, there's really no way to fake it. A 3 inch loss on the measuring tape will be pretty clear. It's not so much about recording a precise number as it is about keeping track of progress. Try measuring once a month, and the changes may be more apparent.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Be sure that you are measuring yourself correctly. Wear tight clothing or no clothing when measuring yourself. I use the way my grandmother showed me for measuring clothes, though I only measure my bust, waist, and hips:
    First, make sure you measure at the same spot all the time and that the tape, when used to measure yourself, is straight (no tangles, twists, slips, and runs parallel to the ground). Second, you hold the tape so there's not a lot of slack and so that it's not squeezing you tightly-- measure with one of your fingers on the inside to give you some wiggle room.
    For your waist, you should be measuring at the smallest part of your waist. For the bust, you go around the fullest part of your bust and make sure the tape is straight across your shoulder blades. Measure your hips at the widest part, again making certain that the tape is straight.
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hah I measured myself using several body fat formulas and this is what each said.

"Using your measurements of a 26 inches waist and weight of 132 pounds your body fat percentage we calculated using FOUR different methods. Your body fat estimates are 59.58 % using the U.S. Army body fat algorithm, or
    -5.67 % using the U.S. Marine body fat algorithm, or
    10.33 % using the U.S. Navy body fat algorithm, or
    15.39 % using the formula developed by the YMCA."

It really makes you want to base your accomplishments off numbers, right?! Lol

I'm trying fat calipers next. Any luck with those?