Subtle progress or am I doing something wrong? (pics!)

Options
Hai everyone!

I'm not sure does this topic fit into Weight Loss help or Motivation/Support, so sorry if this is in the wrong section! And sorry for the rant that's gonna be thrown at you down below. This is a mini rant and some questions:

So I decided to finally start incorporating exercises in my life. I started off 138lbs and I decided to lose the fat, and gain some muscles :) GETSOME NAICELEGS! Screwstrenchmarks! GETPERKYBUTT!

SO, what I usually do, is cardio for 30-40minutes on the elliptical. Nothing too intensive, just to get my heart rate going. I usually only burn around 250-270calories (And that's what the machine tells me, but MyFitnessPal says more). I used to be sweating a storm just from that, but now it's been getting easier and I've been pushing the level higher. I run on level 9 now.

Anyways, after that's done, I move my way to strength training. I do Squats with dumbbells(Light ones, unfortunately..I'm weak as hell, but I'm hoping to keep building), Lunges, Leg Press, Leg Extension, Leg Curls, etc. 3x15reps each.

My problem is, is that I only work my legs. I understand I cannot "spot reduce", but I couldn't help myself. I'm not sure do I classified as a pear-shaped body, but my arms, although weak and pitiful, look slim. My legs on the otherhand, is wrapped with horrible stretch marks and *ahem* disgusting, sweaty inner thigh RED RASHES. It was the rashes that finally pushed me to start working out. Every time I take a break and stop going to the gym for a few days, I immediately feel guilty and end up just working what I start off - legs. After 2-3 weeks of almost working out everyday, my rashes are gone and my stretch marks are even at a fainter color. YES! Right? Now I feel like I can focus on doing whole body now.

Anyway, I figured with all my leg exercises, my bum is gonna have small improvements, right?

So I decided to look for an old picture of my *kitten* and then take another one and compare each other. But now I'm confused. I dont even know is this progress. I'm used to either girls with absolutely no bum (Genetics from my Asian family) or girls with those nice, round genetic, unusual ones you often see at Tumblr (They usually come with Thigh Gaps)

Is the subtle change a good change, or a bad change? Should I work harder and add more weights?

My *kitten* looks...smaller on my Before Picture (LeftSide), and my After Picture my *kitten* looks slliighhhtly bigger...but I'm not sure is it because I'm actually getting muscles or is that just more fat from the days I'm lying down on bed for two days moaning about soreness. My boyfriend said I should stop working only on my legs. I agree with him, but it's almost addicting. Lovedoingdemsquatz. Squats > PainfulPushup >__O.

Gimme opinion plurrreeezzzzx :]

And girls, how do you do your strength training? :D

(Oh and also, as a last minute attempt to grab more attention, plsaddme! LOL. I would love to have more friends on MFP so I can feel more excited logging in my food or even using the app)

photo.jpg

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The after pic looks more defined and firmer to me.

You're not allowed to post underwear pics though.

Anyway, mix in some upper body work.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Your thighs looks smaller in the after. Look at the contour of your inner thighs. It seems different- not as soft and puffy as the first pic. Has more defined shape and might be why your butt looks "bigger." (although idt it looks bigger) Optical illusion?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    SO, what I usually do, is cardio for 30-40minutes on the elliptical. Nothing too intensive, just to get my heart rate going. I usually only burn around 250-270calories (And that's what the machine tells me, but MyFitnessPal says more). I used to be sweating a storm just from that, but now it's been getting easier and I've been pushing the level higher. I run on level 9 now.

Anyways, after that's done, I move my way to strength training. I do Squats with dumbbells(Light ones, unfortunately..I'm weak as hell, but I'm hoping to keep building), Lunges, Leg Press, Leg Extension, Leg Curls, etc. 3x15reps each.

If you really want to increase your strength, then only do a light warmup on the elliptical (or bike, treadmill, rower, whatever) for about 5-10 minutes. Then do your strength training - look into StrongLifts, Starting Strength, or New Rules of Lifting For Women - and if you want, you can do more cardio either after strength training or on your non-lifting days. As it is, you're likely wearing yourself out, even if you don't think you are.
    Is the subtle change a good change, or a bad change?

My *kitten* looks...smaller on my Before Picture (LeftSide), and my After Picture my *kitten* looks slliighhhtly bigger...

Only you can answer that first part for yourself. And not to sound to creepy, but you did invite me/us to look at your butt. :wink:
    Anyway, your butt actually looks smaller on the right - it just looks like you've lost a little fat, so what muscle you have shows up more, which is why it might look bigger to you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options

Dude, see those long strings at the side, tied in bows? That's a bikini bottom.

And her bottom looks good in both pics, IMO.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Someone said it earlier. You could have focused on anyone of these programs from the start. No need to workout every day either. Just do a whole body routine 3 times a week and you'll be solid.

Stonglifts

Starting Strength

New Rules of Lifting for Women.

As far as your butt goes the after pic looks firmer.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Really? I'm such an old fogey I can't tell the difference between underwear and swimsuits these days.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    And.... use a tape measure.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    your *kitten* doesn't look smaller in the first picture. in your after picture it's lifted and has more shape to it.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options

Really? I'm such an old fogey I can't tell the difference between underwear and swimsuits these days.

For the record, I have some underwear that tie like that. But it is far more common in swimsuit design. Jonny, I'm guessing you don't get a lot of underwear action? :laugh:
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    You are doing something wrong or the after photo would not be blurry. Maybe try holding the phone more steady as you take the picture? That's what I would do. :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    Options

For the record, I have some underwear that tie like that. But it is far more common in swimsuit design. Jonny, I'm guessing you don't get a lot of underwear action? :laugh:

My girl is the more practical sort, and I don't think she'd buy underwear or bikini bottoms that need to be tied closed :laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

it's cool. you just didn't look as closely as some of us did.

and like others have said, the picture quality is too varied for us to tell. when i go to get a new prescription, the doc changes slides and asks "better, or just smaller and darker?" The second pic is the smaller and darker that she's talking about. Try to post pics with similar lighting and similar distance from the lens
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Hello! I stared at your bum a good long time trying to figure out where the comments were coming from but I have to admit, I don't really see a difference. There's a slight angle difference but nothing that would make me say you're noticably bigger or smaller in either picture. With that said you're in good shape and pretty slim so you're going to have to work your bum off to work your bum off :p

Also, most people do not gain and lose at the same time. If you want to lose fat, go on a calorie deficit. If you want to gain muscle your body needs extra fuel to make it, so you'd need to be on a calorie surplus.

And I vote for Stronglifts 5x5 for strength training. I'm currently doing a random mix of things but think stronglifts is a great idea starting out. It's free to read online, just google it and sign up. There's also a mfp group on here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I think it looks good in both pics & can't see a really noticeable difference...
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    The after picture looks more toned to me. I would strongly recommend doing your lifting before your cardio though. You will be less tired and able to give more to your lifting.

Lots of people have success with The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I recently started to follow the program in Thinner, Leaner and Stronger by Michael Matthews.

Good luck! You already look great/
  • VictoriaSiu21
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much everyone! I'm really happy with the quick and positive response I'm getting. Even if there isnt much difference to some (Or any?) Your response really helps. And you're all already helping me go the right path. It's so hard doing what I think is right and have others who are not on-board with changing their lifestyle start beating your plans because of some random myth/diet fab. I was so scared posting up my own topic on MFP because I was afraid I would be shut down by others. You're all awesome folks. Thanks TR0berts and Cr01502 for referring to the strength programs-I'm looking them up right now!
    And I vote for Stronglifts 5x5 for strength training. I'm currently doing a random mix of things but think stronglifts is a great idea starting out. It's free to read online, just google it and sign up. There's also a mfp group on here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Also, most people do not gain and lose at the same time. If you want to lose fat, go on a calorie deficit. If you want to gain muscle your body needs extra fuel to make it, so you'd need to be on a calorie surplus.
    Damn. Thanks a lot. *stalks thread*
    Also, I didn't know you can't lose and gain at the same time! Glad you told me. I was running at the elliptical in hopes to lose some and at the same time doing strength because I wanted to be shapely at the right places. I'm in a 1,200calorie diet too. I should probably get into fixing that...
    You are doing something wrong or the after photo would not be blurry. Maybe try holding the phone more steady as you take the picture? That's what I would do
    Yes I should have. ><'' I also should clean my mirror soon..... Buuuuttt let's just blame it on my shaky hands. *shiftyeyes*
    My girl is the more practical sort, and I don't think she'd buy underwear or bikini bottoms that need to be tied closed :laugh:

Bwahahha!! I see what you did tharrr. But you also gave me a mini heart attack. I wasn't sure was there a rule I missed about bikini bottoms and I flipped. I was trying to find a way to delete this thread but then thank god someone else said something. Phew. :P
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Bwahahha!! I see what you did tharrr. But you also gave me a mini heart attack. I wasn't sure was there a rule I missed about bikini bottoms and I flipped. I was trying to find a way to delete this thread but then thank god someone else said something. Phew. :P

It's all good. Just don't do like one girl did and post nude (hands covering up breasts) pics. Those, you can just PM them straight to me. :bigsmile: And then you don't need to cover anything up.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options

Buy her some. Quick release.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    It's great to hear you're taking the feedback critically. That's a great attitude you have there.
    Damn. Thanks a lot. *stalks thread*
    Also, I didn't know you can't lose and gain at the same time! Glad you told me. I was running at the elliptical in hopes to lose some and at the same time doing strength because I wanted to be shapely at the right places. I'm in a 1,200calorie diet too. I should probably get into fixing that...
    As for the 1200 calorie diet, I suggest reading this to help understand deficits a little better:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/637094-cinderella-s-weight-loss-knowledge

I highly recommend reading all of the links. It's a little bit of a time consumer but if this stuff is new to you I'd say it's worth it. You only need to eat slightly below your TDEE to lose weight. That'll give you fuel for exercise also.

It's your right to choose a massive deficit and nobody can stop you from doing that, but since you're little to begin and you're exercising and you're younger I'd suggest a more sustainable approach that enables you to get most of your nutrients in via food without supplements etc. I tried the 1200 approach and after a extended period of time my hair started appearing in the shower and all my nails cracked off. I thought I was fine. This may be up your alley:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less