It's not easy...

Options
I have been on myfitnesspal for almost a year, and as much as I have neglected it, I am totally ready to let this work. I need to be healthier and frankly I want to be. I have had trouble staying focused and being able to afford to eat healthy, so I thought I would ask: How are you guys staying healthy and focused?

Replies

• CourtAtkins
    CourtAtkins Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've only been on MFP for about 6 weeks but I've been on my weight loss journey for about a year and a half. I lost the first 30lbs fairly quickly then for a year I was stuck at the same weight and even gained 10 back. Not happy! Finally I went to a nutritionist and she referred me to MFP and I've lost 7lbs to date. While I've struggled a ton in the past week or two, the only thing that keeps me going and keeps me honest is acknowledging how hard I've worked to get this most recent 7lbs off and going back just isn't worth it. Still really hard but I'd rather suck it up and change now than to have to start all over again later :smile:
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.....I think your heading says it all - it's not easy. And it's never "done", so patience and consistency are things I have to practice daily.
    I found that the switch really flicked on and stayed on when I realized that health and fitness had to be my primary hobby, at least for awhile. When I think of it as a "hobby" rather than something I am trying to cram in or hate to do, it becomes a priority for me. I had to incorporate it into my very IDENTITY, in other words. It's like anything else, where you focus, you steer, where you steer the car follows. Right now, I am a "fitness person" when I look in the mirror that's what I see. I had to put the "party person" away for awhile. This weightloss thing is 95% mental.

Bottom line is, it never gets easy, I am never free of risk of rebounding. I just have to refocus, get back on the horse, try try again, and after awhile the screw-ups become fewer and farther between. That's how I have done it, 1 pound at a time.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I was a member of MFP for about a year before I finally decided to get serious with it. Like Steph said, it's not easy but you've got to stay focused. I find planning ahead really works for me and I really got into cooking and exercise which also really helped. I am now training for a marathon and have my own food diary blog - ameliasfooddiary.wordpress.com (has recipes and meal pictures if you want to have a look?). Again both of these help me stay on track and stay focused. It's always good to have some supportive friends behind you too. Feel free to add me if you wish :) Ax
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I started this journey at the end of July, and it has not been easy to stay focused all these months. And I still have a long way to go. But i have made getting healthy and fit a priority. Logging into MFP is a daily habit. Exercise is part of my daily routine. I'm not losing weight at the speed of light but I am losing consistently (some weeks more than others, but a definite downward trend). It takes patience and consistency and keeping your eye on the prize. I also reward myself for every 10 pounds, and that keeps me motivated as well (I bought a charm bracelet when I lost the first ten pounds, and I get a charm for each ten pounds lost. I wear this bracelet almost every day - it reminds me to stay focused on my goals and makes me happy now that the charms are starting to add up).
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Oh - and about being able to afford to eat healthy: the less you eat out and use convenience foods the healthier and cheaper your eating will be!
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It never gets "easy" it just becomes second nature.
  • BMcG2010
    BMcG2010 Posts: 7
    Options
    Such awesome replies! Thank you guys <3 And you're definitely right, it never gets easy :) I am so happy to be part of a community full of awesome people.