Just another newbie...

Options
Well, here I am...A little bit about me...I'm 39 years old, a father to 6 (2 boys & 4 girls) and a husband to 1. I live a fairly sendentary lifestyle as I work in an office for 9 hours and sit in a car 2 hours every day. I do have a small hobby farm which gives me a little bit of activity, but not enough to maintain any level of fitness. I love golf, fishing, hunting...well, just being outdoors in general.

I'm a big guy, 6' and currently weighing 310 lbs. 3 years ago, I was 400 lbs and was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes (which really sucks!). But, it got me off my *kitten* and I lost 100 lbs over the course of about 3 months. I was on the treadmill religiously walking about 1.5 miles per day and was always watching what I ate. When diagnosed, I was eating upwards of 5000 calories per day, with the bulk of those coming from carbs (bread, pasta, and potatoes...a LOT of potatoes). Things were going well for the first 2 years, then I got complacent, my blood sugars started going up, blood pressure going up, and my weight started to creep up a bit too (I was down to 300 and as high as 325, all in the past 6 months). When I graduated high school, I was a 'slim' 280 (I really am big boned...think Bob Parr from "The Incredibles", only a little bigger in the waist and legs). I would love to see that 280 again as I keep sliding right by it to my ultimate goal of 270. I've also started exercising again, getting ready for my first ever 5k at the end of April! I've always said that God never intended me to run with my short legs, but I'm not going to be that old man who wonders "what if?"!!!

So, all in all, "Hi!"

Al

Replies

• caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    You can add me.. My husband is also on here his username is Supernatural81
  • fungaaron9880
    Options
    Hi Al, welcome!!
  • AngisBubis
    AngisBubis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • kpnestle
    kpnestle Posts: 3
    Options
    HI Al ! We have a lot in common --like you I am in office 9h per day, about 1h in the car as well. That coupled with my 7 yr oid , my hubby , home, pets, community committments etc --it seems like the ME things can fall to the wayside and contribute to a sedentary life style. In 2011 I lost 95 lbs and was running 5k etc. however it was through EXTREME diet and an EXTREME boot camp and when that ended it just wasnt sustainable and now here I am with 125 lbs to lose !!!!

I realize now slow and steady wins the race. My blood sugars have qualified me as diabetic yet (and so hoping not at all as I work to change) but I have PCOS which is an insulin processing problem based conditon and I know that hinders my efforts . That and my carb addiciton .... YIKES!!!!!!!!

So here's to your goals -- go 5k go --- and to my goals, and all of those who are battling obesity and the related conditions. I also related as I giggled (positively, I promise) as you made reference to short legs and running. My hubby -who has , in the last year lost 92 lbs -- has very short legs and in his recent dive into the running world has made that comment many of times that this may not have been Gods plan for him :)

Add me as a friend on MFP , if you like , and lets get down to the business of getting this wellness thing going !!! :)
    Warmly,
    KP
  • MelissaSosa2
    MelissaSosa2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Al! Welcome to MFP. If you can keep on it and really track stuff, it will definitely help you lost the weight and keep you motivated. Best of luck on the 5K! It is a great feeling when you finish!
    Melissa
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Feel Free to add me! And congratulations on losing that 100lbs the first time. You'll reach your goal of 280 in no time! :)

Consistency is key :happy:
  • gates49512
    gates49512 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Al,
    We all have journeys in life and I liked reading yours. I think we all can relate to your story in some way. Please feel free to add my as a friend if you would like. I have NO doubt that you can reach your goal!

-g