Low Blood Pressure/Salt Intake

Options
I've been eating really healthy (most of the time), down 16 pounds!!!!! Yesterday my blood pressure dropped though and I almost passed out. My normal bp is around 90/60, which is low to begin with. Come to find out my sodium intake has been too low which caused the issue. Any suggestions on how to increase salt intake when you aren't a big fan?

Replies

• tracimorris
    Options
    bump
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    You can buy salt in supplement form so you can swalliw it without tasting it. But even a whole food diet with a little cheese will be sufficient. How much are you eating a day, calorie wise? Drinking too much water or fluids will also cause a sodium deficiency.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You may just need to drink more water. Water follows salt, and your blood pressure is increased with a high sodium diet do to that phenomenon. I too have low blood pressure. If I don't drink enough, I stand up and pass out. You could also try adding things like deli meat or cheese to your diet. Do you track your sodium intake on here? I would start there.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Miso soup packets. One bowl, 45 calories per day, will add about 1000 mg. I'm sure there are many out there, but most people love miso soup.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I could lend you some of my BP as mine is trending high. :smile:

I have actually been looking for ways to find lower sodium options that are still tasty.

Foods I eat that are high in sodium.

- Deli Meat (even healthy ones have 300+ MG/serving)
    - Cereal
    - I switched from Muscle Milk to a protein powder lower in sodium (Muscle milk has like 300/serving)
    - Good ole fashion table salt on your eggs or whatever
    - Bread has around 150 mg/ serving
    - Milk has around 125 mg/serving
    - Cheese is higher in sodium
    - Any packaged meal product like lean cuisine
    - French Fries...Yum
    -Popcorn
    - Also add I knew someone who would drink a boullion cube to get extra salt.
    - SOUP DUH!

Also, I'm no doctor but I believe potassium is kind of the counterpart to sodium. Is your diet also super high in potassium which could be causing issues?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I've been eating really healthy (most of the time), down 16 pounds!!!!! Yesterday my blood pressure dropped though and I almost passed out. My normal bp is around 90/60, which is low to begin with. Come to find out my sodium intake has been too low which caused the issue. Any suggestions on how to increase salt intake when you aren't a big fan?

How do you know that your sodium was low?
    Did your doctor order labs (blood work) to be drawn?
    What did he recommend that you do?
    Electrolyte imbalances and hypotension are conditions that need to be monitored by a physician.
    You could meet with a dietician for safe, healthy recommendations.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended drinking Gatorade to increase my sodium and increase my blood pressure.
  • lschrom
    lschrom Posts: 4
    Options
    You can buy salt in supplement form so you can swalliw it without tasting it. But even a whole food diet with a little cheese will be sufficient. How much are you eating a day, calorie wise? Drinking too much water or fluids will also cause a sodium deficiency.

I'm at about 1,200 calories a day. I am drinking 6-8 glasses of water each day. I try to stay away from deli meats, (too much preservatives). I'm on a ranch so we get fresh, home grown grass fed meats and such. I don't log my exercises like I should, but I am always physically active and am finding that on most days I am not meeting my caloric intake needs when I do log my exercise. There have been several days where I am 500-700 calories below goal, but I am so full I couldn't eat anymore if I wanted to. Yesterday I splurged on some not so good foods, but even on those days my salt intake is still too low.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended drinking Gatorade to increase my sodium and increase my blood pressure.

NUUN and CamelPak make electrolyte tablets with subtle flavored, so you don't have as much sugar or artificial sweeteners, as well.

Savory our description of your diet, salted nuts will help with both of your issues!
  • laphillips12
    laphillips12 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lschrom
    lschrom Posts: 4
    Options

How do you know that your sodium was low?
    Did your doctor order labs (blood work) to be drawn?
    What did he recommend that you do?
    Electrolyte imbalances and hypotension are conditions that need to be monitored by a physician.
    You could meet with a dietician for safe, healthy recommendations.

Every dr I've been to can't figure out what to do. Six years ago it got really bad and they tried several different medications when I kept passing out and my blood pressure kept dropping dangerously low, I spent too many nights in the hospital and they never figured out how to get it under control. It corrected itself about 6 months later on it's own.