To work out or not to workout, that is the question...

Options
Personal question, any help to clarify my confusion would be helpful.

My situation
- I have lost 13 lbs in the past 3 weeks or so
- I eat my recommended MFP caloric deficit or very close to it daily (1550)
- I am not hungry after eating that amount and do no not feel the need to eat more.
- One exception: Every Cheat day(s) I have gorged myself and just recently tallied it up, I'm always at least 2000+ over my maintenance calories (2400) . This causes me to gain 4 or so lbs that fall off over the next two days, then I continue to lose weight.
From now on I am going to aim for 2400 on cheat days.

**** I do not exercise****

This is where my confusion starts - Should I start exercising?

My Thoughts/Questions (Please correct me if I am wrong about anything, I prefer to learn)
1) If I work out I will have to eat those calories according to most of the forum posts I have seen on this site.
- I am not hungry, so I feel this is counter productive b/c I am just going to match my caloric deficit I already have.
2)I am in a caloric deficit so the things I've read/been told state that I cant build muscle in this state (so whats the point of working out?)
3) If I cant figure out a good reason to start my plan was to ride the no workout wave till I hit the plateau I should eventually run into my plan is to then add working out into the fold to push passed it (Completely dumb?)

Its late, I lost my train of thought... Pre thanks for your information and time .... Have at me :)

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    exercise is fun. DO IT.
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Loosing weight without exercising will not make you look good. I did that and became skinny fat which I hate. Now I am working hard to lower my body fat even thou I look skinny in my clothes. I guess depends what your goals are...Just my two cents in...
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    exercise is fun. DO IT.

Mesha lies. It's definitely not ALWAYS fun. BUT it can be very satisfying and rewarding and there are a bajilion reasons to do it, not just for weight loss but for overall health and wellbeing.

1) Yes, if you are following MFP's calorie setup then you are supposed to eat your exercise calories back, most people will say at least some of them. You may quickly discover that your body is a genius, and when you move it for exercise, it craves more fuel and your hunger will go up a bit.

2) True. The point of working out is so that you RETAIN as much of the muscle/lean body mass that you currently have. It's a lot easier to do this than to get to your goal weight and build that muscle back after the fact. I mean, unless you just want to lose weight and not mostly fat, and want to look all soft and smushy.

3) In my opinion? Losing weight and not working out if you are physically ABLE to work out is pretty foolish. Completely and utterly dumb.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Strength training will mean you retain LBM while on a deficit. Also, if you are untrained, especially if you have a decent amount of weight to lose, you can gain a little muscle. Just make sure you have a good progressive loading strength training routine and get enough protein. You can gain strength on a deficit also.
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    regardless of what we're told, 'cheat' days don't work for everyone. if i allow myself that margin, it just becomes a complete spiralling disaster and very difficult to get back on track. i find it much easier to just go healthy as much as possible.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Re the cheat day. Your calories are pretty low - maybe it would be better if you are less restrictive in the week so you did not 'blow out' quite so much on your cheat day, and maybe you would not feel the need for one at all.
  • jakeVScalories
    jakeVScalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    silly question bro. work out. tone up and eat your protein.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I think exercise is important, too, and especially strength training. Keeping your lean body mass is so important in terms of how you'll look and feel as you lose, and especially when you get to the end of the losing game. There are all sorts of great reasons to lift weights--you'll increase your resting metabolic rate (RMR), which everyone likes ,because with the increase, your body will burn more calories at rest. This also means you can eat more food!

Lifting weights also strengthens your bones and helps you hold on to your muscles and strength as you age. That's pretty important--stave off osteoporosis and sarcopenia. It can also help with cholesterol levels--increasing HDL while lowering LDL and trigylcerides. Insulin sensitivity is improved. High blood pressure can be helped through lifting weights, and so can mental health.

Plus, all the sexy people are at the gym. :wink:
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you are mainly concerned about what the number on the scale says then no do not exercise just cut down on your calorie intake to as low as you can stand. With no exercise you will probably lose more pounds because you will not only be losing fat but you most likely will be losing some of your muscle and some water weight. But if you want to look good naked and be healthier then yes exercise.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    trust me man, you're going to wish you started exercising, especially strength training. i know i did after a few months of just cardio (cycling).

you don't have to do a lot. just some push ups, pull ups, body weight squats, lunges, some crunches. all can be done at home.

but 1550 calories?? i know women that eat more then that. you are a guy. you can probably eat 2200 on a daily basis and feel and look great.
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Exercise does help a bit with the weight loss but more importantly it tones you up and that makes a difference at whatever size you are. I have seen a lovely slender girl who obviously isn't toned because parts of her that had very little fat were a bit on the saggy side. Not criticising her but it made me realise you need to do both and that just being slim won't get you all the way there.
  • Myk1234
    Myk1234 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice.

I think I should have said that I do plan on working out in the long run to gain strength/muscle mass but I was going to start when a plateau hits or I lose closer to my goal of 50 lbs.

Ill start tonight and see where it leads.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think 1,550 calories must be way too little to be eating? I eat this daily + exercise calories and am still losing weight and I am a 5'3'' woman. If you are bingeing like that in one day, I have to wonder whether any of this is sustainable...Honestly (IMO), it might be better to really calculate your TDEE - 20% and then start with some small exercises (it will become addictive) - you can find 20 minute videos on YouTube that you can do from your own home. Something like that surely must be more sustainable than what you are doing now?
  • Myk1234
    Options
    To clarify my binge eating activity on cheat days so far..

Before these last few weeks I was eating like that all the time and didnt realize how bad it was. so on the cheat days I've just gone back back to my old habits and started eating like i use to, then on monday Im right back on 1550 with no issues.

This is not done b/c I HAVE to or because I feel the NEED to eat. Its because I classify it as a cheat day and say f' it! Prior to this weekend I was not calculating my cheat day(s) so I did not realize how horrific of a number it was. I plan on monitoring it in the future and try to stick to my maintanance clarorie amount. if I want pizza Im not going to eat 6 pieces with a soda and some cookies and milk(random but happened this weekend), Ill have a couple. If I visit a brewery again I wont down the beer sampler and get plastered while eating everything that passes that looks good.

Again I am not finding myself hungry at the amount MFP recommended but we will see what my body tells me when I start working out tonight.

1550 isnt bad or hard to maintain as of right now, it could be a 12" oven roasted chicken sub at subway split into two meals, All the water I can drink and that leaves me with like 800 calories for dinner or a little less if I feel like snacking. sometimes I go over sometimes I end up a little less Im not beating myself up b/c its WAY way way lower than what I use to eat before my eyes were opened.

In other words. I have no fears of maintaining b/c when I will be adjusting it every 10 lbs lost and when I need to start putting on muscle I will be changing it completely.

Again thank you all for the advice. I appreciate every bit of it.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Im sorry puddin britches, cant really help you unless I know what your goals are.

Do you wanna bangin strong body or just to weigh less on the scale? the two are not automatically the same at all.
  • Myk1234
    Options
    Goals:

1. ) Try to get nickname changed from Pudding Britches (bad memories)
    2. ) Lose 50 lbs from todays weight (Thats about 180)
    3. ) Workout for strength gains instead of mass.
    4.) Gain a small amount of mass to round out a good look.

Off the top of my head...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym?
  • Myk1234
    Options
    Yes