Netflix Hidden Gems

Options
257_Lag
257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
This is a tangent on a thread from a week or two ago...

I would like to hear about Netflix movies that you have rated 5 stars that are off the beaten path. By that I mean ones that you might not have found without a recommendation or low budget movies or movies about off beat subjects. Maybe there were no big name actors or maybe there were but the movie didn't get promoted. Maybe it is a foreign film. Anything that moved you in some way.

You don't have to explain why, but you can if you like.

Here is my list:

Lars and the Real Girl
10 Items or Less
Castaway on the Moon (Korean)
Bride Flight
In Bruges (Disk)
Buddy (Disk)

Replies

• ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'll post a serious response:

best movie I've seen on Netflix that nobody has ever heard of before: One Week starring Joshua Jackson. Great flick.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    One Week, great movie.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK

I looooooved it. Quirky and sad and cute and fun.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Yup, I agree with 2 of the above posters, One Week is a GREAT movie. I fell in love with my country all over again in that movie.

Imposter - There is a lot of WTF moments in this doc.
    Dirty Girl - I seriously LOVE Juno Temple
    Ramen Girl - I have never wanted REAL Ramen more in my entire life then after watching this.
    Jiro Dreams of Sushi - If I could have a job I had that much passion for, I'd still be working in my 80's too.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    LOTS! But the most recent was "The Perfect Host" and "The Game"...
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    Thanks peoples! Just finished One Week and really liked it. Well acted, beautifully filmed, awesome scenery and actually felt something when I was done watching it!

Now, on to the rest of the suggestions...
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    LOTS! But the most recent was "The Perfect Host" and "The Game"...

Which movie named "The Game"? There are more than one. If you mean the one with Michael Douglas then I have seen it and totally agree. It is on my five star list already.
  • 12gr34
    12gr34 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I real surprise was IP Man...subtitles but a very powerful and mostly true film. IP Man 2 finishes the story...
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Jeff, Who Lives At Home.
    Hunger (with Michael Fassbender)
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    I don't watch a lot on netflix in the comedy genre and the like. I probably won't be much help, unless you like B movie horror/thriller/creature features and stuff like that. If you do, however:

Red State
    The Reef

If you like watching cheesy B movies for nothing but a good laugh try.......2-Headed Shark Attack(no, I'm not kidding)

I watched a "found footage" thriller last night called Amber Alert......one of the Worst. Movies. EVER!!
  • jackoninny
    jackoninny Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    On the B-movie side:
    Hobo with a Shotgun
    Thankskilling
  • jackoninny
    jackoninny Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I real surprise was IP Man...subtitles but a very powerful and mostly true film. IP Man 2 finishes the story...

Yup! Donni Yen(sp?) has a lot of good action movies. His kung fu is pretty, and he throws in mma/wrestling moves into the mix.

ETA: I originally thought it was I.P. Man as in Internet Protocol... Dufus
    ETA2: That reminds me... I.T. Crowd. British Sitcom about an I.T. Department
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options

Yup! Donni Yen(sp?) has a lot of good action movies. His kung fu is pretty, and he throws in mma/wrestling moves into the mix.

ETA: I originally thought it was I.P. Man as in Internet Protocol... Dufus
    ETA2: That reminds me... I.T. Crowd. British Sitcom about an I.T. Department

I.T. Crowd....effing hilarious!
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    Jealous... Canadian netflix sucks :explode:
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    What dreams may come...
  • soty93
    soty93 Posts: 3
    Options
    Breast Picture-- Has a lot of dirty humor in it but beyond that it's absolutely hilarious and moving.

I Hate Valentine's Day-- Quirky Romantic quality by the girl from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"
  • DirtyHammer
    DirtyHammer Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Check out Meeting Evil... Very odd, interesting, and motivating in a way...
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I would rec Dummy with Adrien Brody for a quirky comedy. It's one of my favourites and no one I know has seen it.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Wild Target is fantastic, and would appeal to most people (I think).
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Jealous... Canadian netflix sucks :explode:

www.1channel.ch. You're welcome.