Misinformed Weight Watchers

Options
So, I work with a woman who was just off on how terribly bad nuts are for you. Qouting that pistachios and peanuts are dreadful! I eat pistachios as one of my 100 calories snacks. With 20 pistachios coming in at under 90 cals!! I love my nuts. I think they are a great way to generate protien and give me energy. They also really help me feild some cravings I have. How can I break it to her that cutting all of this out is going to be a hinderence for her? She is also under the impression that fruits and veg = zero. Last night I had said I had ground beef and she thought it was positively dreadful. To a point that it made me second quess my food choice. But then quickly remembered, there isn't anything wrong with delicious lean gound beef. After being on here (and after doing herbal magic) I realise that monitoring my calories its the most sucessful route that helps me have a balanced full of variety life style without succumbing to painfully bland foods. Shes obviously seeing results on WW but I think her mindset is really in the wrong place. At the minute I just keep my mouth shut. But I want to see her continue to succeed and not fall of the wagon because of all the hinderances. How to be nice about it?

Replies

• ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    You stick with it hun, I totally agree with you.

One reason I never fancied joining Weightwatchers is I never believed that you could eat as much as you want on Free or Zero point food. Surely the reason I came on here in the first place was to reduce the amount I eat. I also thought that WW guided you more towards all their sugar laden processed foods that they sell.

Having lost 20lbs by weighing my amounts and calorie counting I'm sure I've lost more than I would have at WW and hopefully gained more knowledge and guidance on nutrition.
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Apparently a quarter cup of Pisatchios is 9 points! Doesn't that seem a bit high?!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You'll likely never get her to change what she believes is right. Just do what you know is right and ignore what she says about it. Eventually you'll be all lean and fit and she'll be back to being her old weight or more. Then maybe she'll see the errors of her thinking, but until then probably not.
  • Kaylaef
    Options
    I just don't understand how not eating the protein and healthy fat foods--and still being to be at Caloric goal. Can someone explain it to me? Like obviously I would eat pistachios if i was counting points and I was allowed 25 and they were 9--seems ridiculous. But they are only 90 cals! so....Huh? someone break it down for me, how are they still getting the energy and nutrients they need to fuel their bodies? As far as I am aware, they don't take any 'magic pills'. Im not hating on weight watchers, I know alot of people have super success. Im just curious. Because to me, the math is the math, burn more then you consume=weight loss.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I've been on WW several times and they do not discourage you to eat nuts or beef...that's odd. Might just be her interpretation of it. Or she might be eating other higher point food items that aren't as healthy then doesn't have the room for the healthier high point items.

Do you what you are doing if it is working for you!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    20 pistachios isn't even close to 90 cals. I had 10 pistachios the other day, it weighed all of 2 grams. 11.2 calories.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    You walk your path and let her walk hers. If she doesn't like where she's getting on hers, and she asks what route you're taking, you hand her a map.

WW is great if you eat a certain way. It's also really easy to game and has some weird anomalies because they're trying to obfuscate what you're actually doing and encourage "healthier" choices by means of a magic formula rather than making you interpret all the nutritional info yourself. Some people are into that. If they don't see results from it, they'll leave, it's not really your problem.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Apparently a quarter cup of Pisatchios is 9 points! Doesn't that seem a bit high?!

According to what I found online, it is only four. But, I would point out that eating 25 points worth would only come to 1000 calories, leaving me 500 calories a day in fruits and veggies. So, I could have a banana and a handful of pistachios 5 times a day!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I know people who have had long term success with many different programs, including Weight Watchers. While I do think there are several limitations to Weight Watchers there are some definite benefits for people who do not historically eat lean or nutritious. This is her path, everyone has one. You will find her that some people (like me) don't regularly eat nuts. I don't find them filling and to me viewing them as a "great source of protein" is laughable, I view them as a great source of health fats, and would rather eat something that I find filling. You'll also find people on here who shy away from beef, I don't shy away from it but I can have much more volume with a chicken breast or 99% lean ground turkey that I go for volume. If she's struggling then you certainly can give her some insight to your pointers, but just because she's doing it differently from you doesn't mean that she'd doing it wrong.
  • Kaylaef
    Options
    I know people who have had long term success with many different programs, including Weight Watchers. While I do think there are several limitations to Weight Watchers there are some definite benefits for people who do not historically eat lean or nutritious. This is her path, everyone has one. You will find her that some people (like me) don't regularly eat nuts. I don't find them filling and to me viewing them as a "great source of protein" is laughable, I view them as a great source of health fats, and would rather eat something that I find filling. You'll also find people on here who shy away from beef, I don't shy away from it but I can have much more volume with a chicken breast or 99% lean ground turkey that I go for volume. If she's struggling then you certainly can give her some insight to your pointers, but just because she's doing it differently from you doesn't mean that she'd doing it wrong.

Absolutely. It was just getting me a bit confused. Everyone finds their own way to success! Just curious about some of the mind sets is all. Like Herbal Magic was all about--you can have 2 proteins a dat, one dairy, two starch, 2 fats 3 fruits and veg--and some magic vitamins at $200 a month. I had a bad mindset on it which is why I gained. I of course wish her all the success in the world. But i fricken love nuts. haha
  • 130mestar
    130mestar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You just have to remember that people will find what works for them and the best peace of feedback I could give is stick to what is working for you! You could mention to this other person that you are excited about her weight loss journey, but she has to respect the journey you are on and they are a bit different and you would really appreciate her support rather then the critism of what you choose to eat. Support the positives and agree to disagree.

The thing is nuts are high in cals and fat, but they are extremely good for you as it is the healthy fats. I believe with weight watchers they calculate fats and calories which is why the points are so high. Your on the right path and you can spend your calories on what you want to and what is working for you!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    First of all, please don't bash on a program that you don't know because someone is not representing it properly.

I'm on WW and I lost 56lbs. At the beggining, counting points was easier for me than counting calories. Eventually I began doing both, so I wasn't overdoing it on free fruits and veggies. Turns out I would need to eat a lot fo fruit to over do it.

WW count on the fact that people WILL eat those free stuff. If you do eat them, you won't be under your minimal requirements.

Also, 20 pistachios = 120 calories, 10.4 g fat, 5.6 g carbohydrates, 3.2 g protein, 2.4 g fiber, 144 mg sodium, 3 PointsPlus.

Not 9 pts. 3 !! Maybe your friend should do her homeworks. Also, WW tell you that you NEED to eat healthy fats.

MFP and counting calories is overwhelming for a lot of people. WW is a great alternative.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So, I work with a woman who was just off on how terribly bad nuts are for you. Qouting that pistachios and peanuts are dreadful! I eat pistachios as one of my 100 calories snacks. With 20 pistachios coming in at under 90 cals!! I love my nuts. I think they are a great way to generate protien and give me energy. They also really help me feild some cravings I have. How can I break it to her that cutting all of this out is going to be a hinderence for her? She is also under the impression that fruits and veg = zero. Last night I had said I had ground beef and she thought it was positively dreadful. To a point that it made me second quess my food choice. But then quickly remembered, there isn't anything wrong with delicious lean gound beef. After being on here (and after doing herbal magic) I realise that monitoring my calories its the most sucessful route that helps me have a balanced full of variety life style without succumbing to painfully bland foods. Shes obviously seeing results on WW but I think her mindset is really in the wrong place. At the minute I just keep my mouth shut. But I want to see her continue to succeed and not fall of the wagon because of all the hinderances. How to be nice about it?
    I did WW. This is not the fault of the program, which encourages eating nuts, does not discourage eating ground beef and has a different formula for accounting for fruits and vegetables than straight calorie counting.

Don't bash something because you know someone who's doing it wrong.
  • _Josee_
    Options
    I did WW. This is not the fault of the program, which encourages eating nuts, does not discourage eating ground beef and has a different formula for accounting for fruits and vegetables than straight calorie counting.

Well said.
  • leeannewgeorge
    leeannewgeorge Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I paid $80 to a doctor who runs a weight loss clinic. When he asked about my eating habits I told him I sometimes eat a piece of wholegrain bread with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter for breakfast. Also, I might eat a handful of nuts for a snack. He told me I was never to eat nuts or peanut butter again. He then proceeded to show me the foods I could eat. All processed...cereals, frozen breakfast sandwiches, frozen "diet" meals, etc. Can we say sodium overload? Needless to say, I did not go back.
  • amsky
    amsky Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Fat is NOT the enemy and all calories are not created equal IMO.

Sugar , gluten and sodium are FAR worse for us than FAT is , IMO.

Go get your NUT on girl!!! I eat them daily ...and avocados and full fat cheese , half and half in my coffee...

I lost 125 lbs and kept that off over 1.5 years now :)
  • Kaylaef
    Options

Well said.

For the record, I never bashed the program. I was more curious then anything and wondering about her mindset, because she beats herself up over a tspn of peanut butter .
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I paid $80 to a doctor who runs a weight loss clinic. When he asked about my eating habits I told him I sometimes eat a piece of wholegrain bread with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter for breakfast. Also, I might eat a handful of nuts for a snack. He told me I was never to eat nuts or peanut butter again. He then proceeded to show me the foods I could eat. All processed...cereals, frozen breakfast sandwiches, frozen "diet" meals, etc. Can we say sodium overload? Needless to say, I did not go back.

Unfortunately, doctors are not taught hardly a thing about nutrition. Any doctors who do have any knowledge about nutrition gained it outside of medical school.

I always feel skeptical taking nutritional advice from medical doctors.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

The problem with WW is that the points are really in lieu of calorie counts, but nutrition really isn't taken into consideration when assigning points. While nuts are very nutritionally dense foods, they are also very calorie dense foods...thus a higher point is applied. They give zero for fruit and veg in an effort to get people to eat more of those things...let's face it, I don't really no anyone who got fat because they were eating oh so much fruit and veg.

Unfortunately, this can skew people's perceptions of food and put them in a mindset of XXX = good and healthy and YYY = BAD, BAD, BAD. Basically, if it's calorie dense, it's automatically BAD food, even though it may be very nutritious. Nuts, Avocado, any number of cooking oils, butter nuts, etc would all fall into the category of BAD on WW simply because of the calorie density. If someone is willing to put in a bit of effort in understanding basic nutrition, they can avoid such pitfalls.
  • _Josee_
    Options

The problem with WW is that the points are really in lieu of calorie counts, but nutrition really isn't taken into consideration when assigning points. While nuts are very nutritionally dense foods, they are also very calorie dense foods...thus a higher point is applied. They give zero for fruit and veg in an effort to get people to eat more of those things...let's face it, I don't really no anyone who got fat because they were eating oh so much fruit and veg.

Unfortunately, this can skew people's perceptions of food and put them in a mindset of XXX = good and healthy and YYY = BAD, BAD, BAD. Basically, if it's calorie dense, it's automatically BAD food, even though it may be very nutritious. Nuts, Avocado, any number of cooking oils, butter nuts, etc would all fall into the category of BAD on WW simply because of the calorie density. If someone is willing to put in a bit of effort in understanding basic nutrition, they can avoid such pitfalls.

The points assigned with WW take into account Fat, Carbs, Proteins and Fibre.

Take 2 food item, with the same calories but one have more fat/carbs and another more proteins/fibre, the first one will have a higher points count.