Moms - When do you find the time?

Options
I am 40 years old, a mother of two, and I have a full-time job. I have about 75lbs to lose and I know I need to up my physical exercise/activity. Are there any of you out there like me that just can't find the time? Or just don't have the energy by the time the kiddos are in bed? AND, if there are some of you that have a similar life that have figured out how to work it all in - please give me some pointers!

Replies

• devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I work 50 hours a week, and have 2 year old twins, and an almost 4 year old. I typically will wait until the kids are in bed to workout. On nights I hit the gym, my husband stays home while the kids are sleeping. On other nights...I'll do a workout dvd. Sometimes, my oldest will still be awake and he'll be doing the jumping jacks too.

I have about 50+ to lose. I'll be honest, the first week or two SUCKS to get into a routine. But after that week or so, you'll find that you have so much more energy. You might not have it now, but you will.
  • webutmirrortheworld
    webutmirrortheworld Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm 31, mom of 1, with a full time job. Commuting included, I leave for work at 7:30 in the morning and get home at 6. My schedule is:
    5am-6:15- go to the gym
    6:15-7:30- get ready for work, prepare my lunch, get kiddo ready for school
    7:30am-6pm- work/commuting
    6-830- after school activities for kiddo, making dinner, helping kiddo with homework
    8:30-10pm- take care of household (dishes, laundry, etc)
    After trial and error, I figured out that waking up earlier was the only way I'd actually get to the gym. I tried sneaking it in after my daughter went to bed, but I was consistently missing and getting frustrated. Plus my house was too messy, since I didn't have time to clean and go to the gym. This schedule isn't ideal, but waking up early was the only way I could figure out making this work for me. Good luck!
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Im a stay at home mum so have it easier, I have a 2 yr old and 5 month old boys. I work out when the oldest has a nap about 11am-1am so I have an hour to work out then some relaxing time after. Im hoping to get most of my last 20lbs off before the youngest gets too active and alert then Il have not much time!
  • fespo276
    fespo276 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not really a direct answer. But, I'm a dad of two and work full time. I can't always exercise my weight off like I used to BK. I work out when I can but found that focusing on my diet has allowed me to lose even with out a lot of exercise. Not working out but taking in 1200-1500 calories is still a GREAT weight loss day.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am also a Mom of two, I work full time (40hrs) and I find the time.

It is hard at first but build it up slowly if you have to. Once you get into a routine you won't want to miss a workout. Right now I am doing Insanity, so about an hour a day workout. Never thought I'd have the time to do it but I'm so glad I made time for it, the results are worth it
  • sburens
    sburens Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am a mom of two (5.5 and 19 mo) and I am currently a sahm. I will go back to work in the fall though and am hoping for part time.

As of now, I joined a gym to take advantage of their childcare room. It got too hard to do my workouts during nap time or after they went to bed. I go roughly 5 times a week. WHen it's nice outside, I will run with them in the jogging stroller (well, DD rides her bike) Or I take them to the park and I run around the playground with them.

My plan for fall when I am back at work (teacher hours) will be to get up at 5:30 and either go to the gym and then go straight to work (DH will have to do mornings with the kids). If we find that really doesn't work, I will do it after t hey go to bed.

I am a firm believer that there is always time for something you want to do. You may be sacrificing some sleep or your house might not be as clean, but there is always a way. Even if you are doing a dvd for 20 min, it is something.

Maybe post your daily scheduled and we can help find ways for you to get a workout in.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I usually workout at home when the kids are awake.. it's almost impossible but my 5 year old tries to workout with me. Thankfully hubby is home sometimes or just works in the day so I can go to the gym on nights when I am not working.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids (2 years old 4 years and 11 years old). I work full time 3rd shift as a nurse , so when busy I will get lots of mandatory overtime with no sleep. I try to work in evenings with my husband. We keep each other going. We workout at home with dvd's and kids usually run around and play if we sit toys out
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I am 40 years old, a mother of two, and I have a full-time job. I have about 75lbs to lose and I know I need to up my physical exercise/activity. Are there any of you out there like me that just can't find the time? Or just don't have the energy by the time the kiddos are in bed? AND, if there are some of you that have a similar life that have figured out how to work it all in - please give me some pointers!

I am 31, full time job (plus overtime) 2 kids, husband house etc. i work out 6 days a week. I give myself 1 hour a day. No matter what. I always work out after they are in bed so I dont take away any quality time with them. Yes I am tired but this is just as important as anything else. The kids are in bed by 8, what am I going to do after that? Watch TV? I wont go to bed that early anyways.

A typical weekday in my house

6 AM - everyone is up
    7 AM - everyone is off to school/work
    4:30 I get home, throw in laundry, start dinner, help with homework
    5:30 finish up dinner/load dish washer, hubby gets home
    5:30-8:00 board games, misc house work including making lunches for the next day etc.
    8:00 kids go to bed, I work out for an hour
    9:00 shower, relax watch tv with hubby
    10:30 ish bed.

More than enough time.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I work out during my lunch break, after work on Tuesdays and Wednesdays when my husband has the kids, early on Sundays before everybody else gets up. Late after the kids go to bed if I'm not exhausted by then. And on Thursdays when I work from home.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I am a 37 year old mom of 2, third one due very soon and I work full time. I get up early in the morning and workout in my home gym or do a dvd and walk during my lunch break when I can. I am too tired at night and find too many excuses not to work out then.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 year old son and I work full-time. I work out as soon as I get home from work at suppertime (before I eat supper or do anything else). Nobody is going to starve to death nor is the house going to be condemned in the time it takes me to run 5km.
  • soniebee
    soniebee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    <- Full time working mom of 2 (4 and almost 2). I get up at 4:45, drink coffee and go to the gym mon-thurs, and go on weekends. I take Friday as my rest day. I get home around 6:20, help get kids up and ready, shower and commute to work 45 mins. Pick kids up in afternoon, make dinner, bath time for kids, bed. I am in bed by 9 PM at the latest. I found I had to make it a priority for me. I tried working out after they went to bed, but it wasn't the right time for me, so mornings it is. Find a time that works for you and make it a priority like all the other things.
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm a full-time working Mom with 2 teens at home still. I am not a morning person, but I do try to do about 5 min strenthening and streching exercises most mornings. I try to exercise more in the evenings. I just bought a Tony Horton 10 minute workout DVD. I figure 10 minutes is better than nothing on busy days. I've also rode our stationery bike for 10 minutes or go up & down the stairs for as long as I can! I do squats while brushing my teeth, etc. I figure doing a few minutes of something is better than nothing. Good luck!
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I normally get home around 6:30ish and I am lucky enough to have a home gym. I take my son with me to the gym, and put in Elmo. He also has toys in there as well. He plays and I work out for as long as he lets me, atleast 30 minutes.
  • arizonaladybug
    arizonaladybug Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You have to make it for yourself! I run one mile each day on my lunch break . Snack throught the day. I work 40 hours and Have a 2 year old. When she goes to sleep or is playing with toys in her room I put on jillian micheals while Im cooking dinner...:) good luck you can do it!!
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    I get up before the kids to get my workout in. On the days that doesn't work, I workout when the kids are in bed at night.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    when you want it bad enough you just make the time. even if it means the dishes wait.
  • mocarranza2000
    mocarranza2000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I don't post here often but thought I'd throw my $.02 in! I am a 36 year old mother of 4, and I work full-time (40-50 hours/week). I commute to work 2 1/2 hours away two days a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays) and work from home Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On my "drive to work" days, I get up at 3:15 AM, leave the house at 4:00 AM, and get to work at 6:30 AM. I leave work at 3:00 PM, drive home until around 6:00 PM, and then work a bit more before dinner and bed. I started out sneaking in exercise anywhere I could...walking on the treadmill while on conference calls, taking a 15-20 minute walk during my lunch at work, etc.

What I've finally ended up with is that I'm just too exhausted to do much on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so they became my "rest" days. I now do 30-45 min on the elliptical during lunch when I work at home (actually eat my lunch while I'm working most days). I lift 12 pound hand weights and do squats when I am on a conference call and don't need my hands. Lifting doesn't make me out of breath so I can still participate! Sometimes my kids hang out while I work out, but I try to get it in before they get home. The biggest thing for me was to make time to do it. I felt guilty, but I got over it. We all deserve some "me" time, so I watch movies or TV shows that I want to watch (and my husband and kids may not want to watch) while I work out. If I don't do it, I feel yucky... You can do it! Just make it a priority!! Good luck!
    -Mo
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It's a cliche, but it's true - there is no finding time, there's only making it. I get up early and nap in my car during my lunch break. I also work with a trainer twice a week in the evenings, after putting the younger one to bed. It all comes down to priorities - ok, I did not mop my kitchen floor this week, nobody's died so I'm calling it a win.

I'm 38, work full time, mother of 2. I started going to the gym when my youngest was 18 months and I had to start work at 6am, but luckily the gym was literally across the hall from my office, so 5-5:40 worked. Now I get to sleep in until 5:30 and go to a real gym, and it is awesome.