walking

Options
hi

having a small debate with my partner - i work as a nurse and use my fitbit to count my steps etc and today it says i used 12500 steps which ontop of my 1200 cals gave me a further 700 to eat back.

my weight losses have been good but he doesnt think that walking is enough as i dont break in to a sweat.

i was under the impression that walking was a great form of exercise, now i am begining to think that maybe i could be doing more..... i am tired and dont think i would last long on my exercise bike and i dont suppose my form would be the best either.

am i right or wrong - someone back me up!

Replies

• yellknrb
    yellknrb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same way. Doesn't think your really exercising if you are not running.

Walking is a wonderful form of exercise. Compared to its counterpart, running, it is infinitely less impact on your body. For someone who relies on her mobility for her livelyhood, I would be very concerned about avoiding an injury.

Keeping your steps up beyond 10,000 is a wonderful goal.

Good Luck!!
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    My husband is the same way. Doesn't think your really exercising if you are not running.

Walking is a wonderful form of exercise. Compared to its counterpart, running, it is infinitely less impact on your body. For someone who relies on her mobility for her livelyhood, I would be very concerned about avoiding an injury.

Keeping your steps up beyond 10,000 is a wonderful goal.

Good Luck!!

thank you :-)

i do go to the gym on my days off but i really count do 6 miles of walking and then cardio as well - would sleep for a week
  • morningdove43
    Options
    Walking is definitely exercise!! I walk 30 minutes a day and I can feel it (and it makes me sweat). Also, I can feel it when I miss 3-4 days so I know it's helping. My doctor is thrilled with the walking, so don't give it up!
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great form of exercise, whether you do it fast or slow. Obviously it is better to break into a sweat, since you'll burn more, but if you don't have the time to do that, you might as well count on the walking you are already doing!
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    walking is great as general exercise. i think your husband is thinking more of increased fitness which i guess comes from pushing yourself ie running and therefore sweating.
    if you're covering 6 miles a day while working, then there's no way i'd be going for a run on top of that, even if i could run. i'd be wanting a massage followed by an hour in a sauna instead! :smile:
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I am under the impression that exercise is what you do that is more than your regular day. If you are a nurse and you normally walk 12k then that is your normal routine. You should set your activity level to active. This will add calories to your daily intake. That will also reset your Fitbit to a higher level. The whole idea is to do more than you would usually.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I run 3 days per week and walk 3 days per week. I walk on my lift days just to move a bit but keep me fresh for my lifts. It's a perfectly acceptable form of exercise. You're not going to make any major fitness gains mind you and you certainly burn more doing more intense workout, but walking is a perfectly good form of exercise.

That said, this seems to be within the norm of your day to day life. As this is your profession, I would think you would include that in your activity level.
  • JohnDun
    JohnDun Posts: 140
    Options
    Walking is great....at work we are on the 3rd floor, I dont use the lilft at all.....like to go for a walk around the block a few times at lunchtime.....it all adds up...if it burns cals then its exercise...today I did just under 9000 steps...not bad at all...tomorrow have some more surveys todo and hope to notch up just the same amount again if not more....
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    Thanks for the replies

I am not keen on moving activity levels at the moment - I eat back what I burn either with my fitbit or hrm - I am losing at a steady amount but if that changes I will look at switching it - my job is a new job only started 1 month ago so I haven't always been this active either
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am under the impression that exercise is what you do that is more than your regular day. If you are a nurse and you normally walk 12k then that is your normal routine. You should set your activity level to active. This will add calories to your daily intake. That will also reset your Fitbit to a higher level. The whole idea is to do more than you would usually.

This^!

Walking CAN be great exercise, but if it's not really pushing you (think cardiovascular fitness) ... then it's just an increased activity level.

If you are losing at a steady level .... no need to tweak it just yet. It could be the "newness" as you said.