Fit people who say they are fat

Options
mark525
mark525 Posts: 18 Member
I do not know about everyone else but it kills me to read a thread like "OMG I can not believe I am this big" and the person post a pic and they have a six pack and 2% body fat..WTF!!! I am happy you are in shape but if you are posting that sort of statement and are IN shape and just looking for people to say you look good....stop already!!!! lol Please...it is not helping anyone except yourself! It seems that the majority of us on this site are FAT...and it is hard to get in shape..and then you got some knucklehead saying how out of shape they are and they post a pic and look like a friggin super model...give us a break!!!!

Sorry for the rant I am......I am starving hear!! lol

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This site is not just for the obese or very overweight. If someone sees the beginnings of weight gain and wants to nip that in the bud, then I say more power to them. Should they wait until they have 30 lbs to lose? 50? 100? What is the limit before one can ask for support?

Even if one is at goal, there is nothing wrong with asking for opinions or support in maintaining that goal, or reaching the next.

We all have our battles to fight.

BTW - if you are starving, eat something! Exercise it off later if you must, but EAT,
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    There are people who are thin who have serious body issues and think they ARE fat even though they aren't. I don't think anyone on here is strutting around their hot fit selves to get people to applaud them - they could do that on FITNESS sites. JMHO.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    People have different standards of what is "fat" for their specific body. Someone who is used to being 110lbs is going to feel fat at 120lbs. Someone who regularly has a 6-pack is going to feel fat if they have a flat stomach but no visible abs. People who normally have no muffin top would probably worry if the slightest bulge started. This doesn't mean those people think anyone who looks chubbier than them is "fat," it reflects more on their comfort level with their body.

I'm not someone who makes posts about when I feel fat, but I think everyone should be allowed to express concerns about their body whether they're small or obese. Right now my friend and I (Who are apple body-type) are always on a quest to shrink our waistlines. To me, 28" and 30" is a huge difference on me & how fit I feel. But maybe for someone who is an hourglass body-type or of larger size, 2" isn't a big deal for their comfort level.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    It's all relative...
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have never been obese, I have been overweight and the upper end of overweight after having my children. I have lost a lot of weight and people say that I look good, but it is all good and well when I am clothed, however I see the horror of the jiggly belly and thighs when I undress. So just because I person is "thin" does not mean they still need some support and it might be that they want to get fit, toned or whatever... Not just looking for empty compliments.
  • mark525
    Options
    JUST DID! FEEL BETTER NOW!
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on facebook who is like that. She ran a couple of marathons last year and would cry on facebook when she ate a few pieces of candy. Very annoying.

And I wonder if she hates herself so much for being three pounds overweight, what does she think about ME being 50 pounds overweight. In her eyes, I must be dreadful!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    JUST DID! FEEL BETTER NOW!

:flowerforyou:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Body issues can run pretty deep. Logically I may know I'm not fat anymore, but it doesn't stop me from seeing a fat chick when look in the mirror.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    oh i know, some are so wacked and twisted and OBSESSED.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on facebook who is like that. She ran a couple of marathons last year and would cry on facebook when she ate a few pieces of candy. Very annoying.

And I wonder if she hates herself so much for being three pounds overweight, what does she think about ME being 50 pounds overweight. In her eyes, I must be dreadful!

I can't speak for your friend, but I know in my case I am only ever speaking for myself. My best friend is overweight (though she's lost 40 lbs on MFP). I think she's beautiful.
  • mark525
    Options
    That is exactly what I think when I see that type a thing....but I better not say it out loud or all the PC police will yell at me!! lol And just to throw it out there...if people have a distorted body view...I can understand that....I am not stupid..but come on...look at some of these people...they are in shape! Maybe they should be seeing a DR. and not on some website if they really think themselves fat.
  • she_fit
    she_fit Posts: 36
    Options
    On contrast, some people who are on the smaller size can still have 10-15 lbs of fat to lose and a lot of muscle to gain. They are probably just looking for the same kind of support as those who have 50,100 + lbs to lose. This site isn't just for losing weight- it's for fitness as a whole. That includes people (I might fall into this category) who have already worked and lost the weight, and are on to the next phase which might be, for them, bulking up, toning up, and gaining the "ultimate" physique. Try and have a little perspective.
  • hellokittyykat
    hellokittyykat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I hate when there is skinny people around me claiming they are so "fat".

I just stand there like.. "Um...really?.. so what am I?"
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I hate when there is skinny people around me claiming they are so "fat".

I just stand there like.. "Um...really?.. so what am I?"
    This is usually my issue. ^

I understand a little better about the attitude of skinny people claiming they are fat, because now I see usually they just want to be more toned up.

BUT, I will say, it still bothers me when I hear it or see it mainly because I am thinking the same thing, "If you are fat, then wtf am I?" It just feels like a slap in the face I guess. :/
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Funny. Reverse bias and being judgemental.

Just because someone isn't REALLY overwight are we to negate their goals. Many of those people need just as much support and motivation to overcome their low self-esteem and unrealitic view of themselves.

Again, just funny to see a post like this.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    For years I thought of myself as the badass mountain biking, weight lifting, track sprinter that I was in High School and College. Right up to 250.

When I woke my mind up, was like damn. I'm pretty fat now.

I'm dropping weight. Have gotten as far as 216 three times in the past 4-5 years, but even that that small of a weight, in my mind I still feel fat.

Even today, looking at comparison pictures of where I was, and where I am now doesn't do my mind any good, because I still feel fat.

If I can someday get down to my goal weight, I know this will still be a constant battle to repair this image of myself, even if all those around me say "You are so not fat."
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    lol That's funny how when a person says they are fat, other people automatically make it about themselves right away and think it's a comment on their size. Insecurity issues, no? It's not about you, it's about that person and their comfort level with their body. They're saying how they FEEL about themselves. If a skinny person wanted to tell you you're fat, they would just tell you you're fat.

If someone complains they are not good at something, I don't make it about myself and take that as a comment on my performance in the same area. I find that very weird.
  • rozojc
    rozojc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Body issues can run pretty deep. Logically I may know I'm not fat anymore, but it doesn't stop me from seeing a fat chick when look in the mirror.

Totally agree. When I was a little kid I got bullied a lot (including by one of my grandmothers unfortunately). Since then I've always felt fat. Right now I am (logically speaking comparing my weight to what I should weight), but the other day that I saw some pictures of when I got married 5 years ago I couldn't believe I was fairly thin then! I remembered how I felt I was fat when I got married and looking at the pictures I couldn't believe my eyes as I look fairly thin on those pictures!

This time I took a picture for the "before" so that when I drop weight again I can compare myself to the pic and try not to let my mind trick me :-S
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!