Monotony and weight loss

Options
Has anyone else noticed that when they eat roughly the same thing every day, they lose more weight? I lost 60 pounds in 3 months last year and I seriously ate the same thing every day. Anyone else experience that?

Replies

• duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Exactly my pattern too, though I haven't gotten that far with my loss yet. But I'm already eating pretty much the same things day in/out- they become my "safe" foods. But zzzzz they're boring!
  • awholenewworld
    awholenewworld Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I lost the huge amount of weight..and now I am struggling to get the last bit off..maybe more monotony will work for me again.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think monotony can be good for a few reasons. One is that your calorie count is likely to be accurate with simple unchanging meals, and lack of accuracy is the #1 reasons for all those "HELP ME I CAN'T LOSE WEIGHT, I MUST BE A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE" posts that appear daily here. The other is that your body (or actually your mind) gets used to the idea that "This is an appropriate amount of food to be satisfied with."

I go through phases where I have to eat something different every day, but a semi-fixed meal plan is great when you don't feel like thinking and calculating all the time.
  • alikat2986
    alikat2986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you are now working out (but didn't before) then you are creating a calorie deficit that is necessary in losing weight, so you are (kind of) eating less than you were before because you are burning calories with exercise.
    :happy:
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Whoa, 60lbs in 3 months? Not trying to be rude, but how is that possible?
  • awholenewworld
    awholenewworld Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had just given birth to my daughter and because I have a heart condition so I worked closely with a nutritionist to get my weight down to a level that my heart could keep up with.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that when they eat roughly the same thing every day, they lose more weight? I lost 60 pounds in 3 months last year and I seriously ate the same thing every day. Anyone else experience that?

No, I have a few favorites I eat often, but I need variety.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that when they eat roughly the same thing every day, they lose more weight?

I have read several studies that, both people who lose weight, and those that are gnerally considered skinny, eat with very little variation in their diets.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Yep. I eat pretty much the same thing every day. The only differences are minor like eating a tsp of peanut butter instead of eating a tbsp of flax seeds.
  • pugbug10k
    pugbug10k Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So happy to hear there are (at least a few) others who eat the basically the same thing every day. I eat the same breakfast every day, almost always the same lunch, and one of maybe three favorite dinners. Boring is stress-free for me!
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY!! I eat the same things day in and day out and I have lost consistently. When I change things up, my loss slows or stops.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    By eating the same thing every day, you lose the novelty of eating something new so eating the same things can help you eat less.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I roughly eat the same stuff every day, not to lose weight but because I like the things on my plate.
  • Femmekid
    Femmekid Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've found it's easy to stick to it when I have the monotony. Way back before I really got going I used to get overwhelmed by too many options and food choices. It's easy when I know what works and stick to it.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I think it was in The Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook by Mark Hyman that I read the other day the body likes it when you eat at the same times every day. I once had the same burrito for lunch every day for a couple of years, and when they stopped serving it, I don't recall any weight issue though. I don't eat more or less, because it's something else; there's always tomorrow, well until when there isn't anyway. My Costco has stopped selling the Pita Pal Mediterranean Three Bean Salad, a favorite of mine, so maybe I'll make my own; life goes on.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Monotony = boring = cravings = slipping back into bad habits for me. I eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast 5 on week days, but otherwise like to mix up my meals a lot, especially dinners. Finding delicious, healthy recipes is a big part of the fun of my new, healthier habits! :) I could see how it would be easier to stay on track, though, once you found a few things that worked - it would take away a lot of uncertainty and guesswork. I do spend a fair bit of time tweaking recipes and figuring out portion sizes for every new thing I make (it's worth it though!!!)