Ugh! I'm sorry, but I don't think I can do this!...

Options

Replies

• cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You've already bought the powder, just try using different ingredients. I use
    1c Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk (you can use 2% or the like)
    1T protien powder
    3 frozen strawberries

I've used various fruits in substititution (never more then 1/4c), but it's almost always the frozen variety. I hate wasting money on fruit that goes bad. I've even used a tablespoon of honey.

If you use chocolate powder, try using frozen cherries or a tablespoon of smooth textured peanut butter (I like Jif Natural).

Yogurt is a good choice, but I would try to use plain Greek. Greek yogurt typically has 13g of protien instead of generic yogurt (~6g). Regular yogurt was much too sweet for my taste.

Other options for protien boosts, peanut butter on a rice cake.
    Add almonds, tuna (I like Abacore), or salmon (is much cheaper then tuna right now) on salads. Try to avoid packaged nuts with salt. I use a lot of Blue Diamond Natural almonds. Walnuts and pistachios are good too, but they have a lot more fat almonds.

My diary is open if you want to see how I maximize my protein. I average 70g of protien a day, because I make a point to add it to every meal or snack.
  • neilisfat
    neilisfat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk!
  • jsbieniek
    jsbieniek Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I use 12 oz of Unsweetened Almond Milk, 2 scoops of protien powder and 1/2 packet of the yoplait frozen smoothie mix. Comes in a variety of flavors and I get about 16 - 17 grams of protien. The first one I tried without the smoothie mix and thought the same as you. Hope you find a combo that works for you!!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Try GNC--they have a variety of "flavors" that make the shakes more tolerable and MOST are really good :)

^^^^ They have chocolate that I mix with almond milk and coffee. And the vanilla I mix with Greek yogurt, banana, strawberries and water. But you can put in any fruit that you like.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    drink chocolate milk!! or nuts, beef jerky, all have some protein in them. They work for me.
  • hollygoddess
    hollygoddess Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I usually use vanilla powders so I can flavor them any way I like: add Trader Joe's unsweetened cocoa powder for chocolate, add extracts for no cal. flavor, add pure vanilla...add coffee instead of water or milk...it's endless really..add a serving of fruit or citrus. Ready-made chocolate I find can taste artificial...Can you try a soy protein, might be a bit sweeter?
  • klhacker23
    klhacker23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hate protien powders, and most of them make me gag no matter what I do. The only one I have found I like is CLICK Espresso powder. It can be made cold like iced coffee, hot or blended like a shake. It comes in mocha, vanilla latte and decaf mocha. The taste is pretty good, and it has the same amount of caffiene as two shots of espresso.
  • mandyatkins1124
    mandyatkins1124 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Orange cream is the best!
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I mix walmarts vanilla protein with plain Greek yogurt.
    Not sure how you can't hit protein.
    I can fit 150g's of protein, 114g's of carbs & 26g of fat by 1300 cals.
  • CaptainZero
    Options
    I've been having good results with Clif Builder's Bars, available at Walmart and Target. I've been using it as a meal replacement for breakfast and lunch. They have 270 calories so I have to pair it with a banana or some nuts for a snack. 20gm of protein per bar and large enough to be filling.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt for breakfast everyday. LEARN to like it.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I picked up ON and I'm really liking the flavor profile.

I know what you mean about the texture. I drink mine with water and i find it very good.
  • GolfChickPDX
    Options
    I put a small scoop of protein powder in my oatmeal for breakfast. I also use real Greek Yogurt and mix with fresh or frozen fruit. (cuts cown on cost, waste and added chemicals too). even the non-fat has WAY more protein than regular. The protein powder can be mixed into loads of things, there are tons of recepes online for homemade bars!
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Try Edamame.
    Increase your serving size of lean protein - like eggs, chicken, tuna, turkey, etc.
    Try to add beans to your diet, especially lentils, but I like black beans, white beans, etc.
    Eat more greek yogurt - which has a higher protein content than standard yogurt. (In our house, we use plain greek yogurt as a replacement where mayo/sour cream is called for.)
    Look for higher protein breads - Brownberry has one that is double protein.

I always aim for 100 grams of protein a day, and really don't care for the shakes, but use them from time to time.

(One final note - we have blender bottles that help to keep it less chalky, if you aren't currently using those).
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Why not increase your lean protein intake? Decrease your pasta, potatoes, soups and have more chicken breast or lean burger. You don't have to supplement to protein powder.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I'm at 96g protein today (its thursday here already if you want a look) without powder or large amounts of meat. I hit 125 on tuesday, a third of that was from the chicken in my lunch, there was a shake in there that day, but in general, you shouldn't really need one if you're happy to eat meat/dairy.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I didn't like chocolate protein powder either until I started mixing it into hot coffee.
    And a delicious protein mocha was born!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    If its chocolate and you like coffee - try this:

ice cubes - water, 1 tsp of instant coffee and your protein powder, blend - proportion the ice and water until it is rich and smooth - too much ice makes it too thick. Or if you drink coffee and have left over coffee from the morning - use coffee with a tad bit of water.

I use frozen strawberries too - you just have to figure out the right amount of water and ice (or frozen fruit) to make it smooth and not too thick. I add sweet dairy whey and psyllum seed husk to mine to.

I love my protein shakes and I just buy the pure whey from Walmart - or the NOW from my health food store - I don't really notice much of a difference in taste. The only ones I didn't like as far as taste was shakeology and Herbalife.
  • assblaster69
    assblaster69 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    just mix it with water and use a shaker. if it has lumps buy some other protein powder.