looking for help converting to a vegan lifestyle

Options
Hello. I'm fairly new and looking for like minded people to ad as friends and help me convert to a vegan lifestyle. Especially help with how to convert the kids!! Help please.

Replies

• Alex1254
    Alex1254 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi, I just joined on recommendation of my daughter. I went vegan one year ago this Saturday and there will be no going back. My cholesterol was 304 and I was not a candidate for medicine. I took back responsibility for my own health. Watching Forks Over Knives changed my life. Three months later my cholesterol was down 70 points. My goal right now is 47 pounds and a better fitness level.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Can I have your bacon?
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    why convert?
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    No more sausage hunting for you!
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My daughter went vegan for a while, and as the one who had to shop and cook for her, I learned a few things.

- Remember it is a different way of eating, I would advise against just looking for vegan versions of what you already eat. (ie - tofurkey, soy replacements of meats etc)

- watch your soy intake as it can mess with your hormones

- decide how strict you want to be, strict vegans don't even use refined white sugar because some of it is processed through bone pieces. Others won't use honey (it is cruel to bees)

- ease into it, start vegetarian, keeping some of the harder things to give up for last (My daughters weakness was cheese, it was the only thing that she missed)

- read your packages!! you will be surprised how many products are vegan, or not. I found really good chocolate chips (presidents choice) that had not animal products in them, yet the brand name chips were not vegan.

- know what the stuff is that you are reading. Many "vegetarian" cheeses etc have casein, which is a milk product.

- one of the best easy vegan cook books she bought was PETA's college cooking (or something like that). It was full of easy and quick vegan dishes (they had to be, they are aimed at students), and more advanced would be the veganomicon.

- keep your sense of humor, in eating situations, everyone will just say "you can have a salad..." not realizing how many real food items can be vegan.

Good Luck!!
    Let us know how you go with it!!

oh, and http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/vegan-zucchini-bread/ is the best zucchini bread I have ever had, freezes well, I still use this recipe when I'm not making something specifically vegan.

-
  • Mochila09
    Mochila09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There's also a group for vegetarians and vegans here. You'll find lots of support and advice: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores. Good luck!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan, but I do like this site: http://plantbasedonabudget.com/

As far as your kids, make sure you are communicating with their doctor.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm fairly new and looking for like minded people to ad as friends and help me convert to a vegan lifestyle. Especially help with how to convert the kids!! Help please.

To convert, I'm thinking gradual introductions of vegan-dishes as the appetisers, the sides, the salads, soups & stews and savoury/sweet tea or dessert options plus family snack-box/jar choices to start, from the varieties you can afford (budget-conscious), with what will best benefit and is favoured on your family table ~ what'll work (is agreeable) to the majority.

I grew up partially vegan, close to raw 5 days of the week, well into my teens, as was the norm in my family, so if you're at all curious about options of what and how to prep the vegan-dishes, you may write me via pm.
  • Mochila09
    Mochila09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that there are so many great vegan recipes out there. You may be surprised to find that it's not too hard a transition on the kids. Check out sites such as: theppk.com; vegweb; ohsheglows, etc. At home, I'm vegan, my husband is vegetarian, and our daughter is neither. She happily eats what I cook, and will even request certain vegan dishes. At family get-togethers, my brother is always excited about what I'm bringing. He can never believe it's vegan, and always asks for recipes!
  • fungaaron9880
    Options
    Im a former chef of a raw/vegan restaurant. Im not vegan myself but have a lot of experience in tackling how to make veggies taste goooddd

feel free to add me!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too - I'm also in the process of going vegan. I'm taking it slowly but am totally at peace with this decision to make this transition and am actually really excited about it.

Do your research ~ I already have a big, long list of cookbooks on my amazon wishlist (I plan to check some out from my library too) and there are a lot of great, free blogs with recipe ideas and tips. I also frequent veggieboards.com, but as with any internet community there are no shortage of people that are beyond passionate about their vegan beliefs; I'll just leave it at that!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice above. I have eaten a diet that is 90% or more vegan for nearly three years. 90% because I sometimes end up in places which have no vegan options and end up choosing vegetarian so I don't go hungry or have to make a fuss to have something specially prepared for me. (I don't eat vegan for ethical reasons so this is an acceptable option for me.) One piece of advice that I can add is that when I first changed my diet, I was hungry ALL the time (eliminated a lot of processed and higher fat foods as a result of eating vegan). It was not something I expected.

As far as kids go, do you expect them to eat vegan all the time? Or, will you let them choose what they eat to some extent? I cook only vegan meals in my home. My kids know that if I am cooking it, it will be vegan. However, they can choose whatever they like to eat for school lunches. I also buy them milk, yogurt, and ice cream to eat when they feel like it. If we go to restaraunts, they can choose whatever entree they want. I feel pretty strongly about not forcing my kids to accept my diet choices. I also don't see a way to control what they eat when they are not with me. (although my youngest does often choose vegan.)

I started off by making "veganized" versions of food that your kids like already. Smart dogs taste pretty close to real hot dogs. Pasta is always easy. Kids love udon.
  • lolaskates275
    lolaskates275 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am thinking that I am going to transition to a 90% vegan diet over the spring break (next week.) I only plan on eating vegetarian (dairy and eggs) when I go out, or someone else is cooking. I would love more vegan friendly friends on MFP! :) add me!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    *grabs cooler and runs over to your freezer. Meat prices are wayy high....gimme yours!
  • Alex1254
    Alex1254 Posts: 5
    Options
    pobalita... really healthy attitude! Good to hear.
    There are so many websites and cookbooks (check them out at the public library before you invest). Right now I am loving Chloe's Kitchen by Chloe Coscarelli. Engine 2 is fantastic, too.
    Last night my daughter made "potatoes au gratin." She substituted butternut squash for cheese and almond milk instead of cow's milk. Her husband loved it and didn't even realize there was no "gratin."
  • keepitoff321
    keepitoff321 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the good advice and recommendations (no you cannot have my bacon yet, lol). It's been on my mind for a while now. After watching documentaries like "hungry for change, food matters, and vegucated", I'm convinced it's something I really want to do. Being surrounded buy a meat and potatoes environment makes it tough though. I don't know a lot of vegan/vegetarians. I started once, watched the programs with my son, looked up some recipes and bought the stuff. He was on board to try a change. But at meal times the noses were turned up at the newly introduced items. boo Anyways, back to carrots and corn. lol

There are sooo many sites to look at and books to read you can get info overload pretty quick! So thanks everyone for narrowing the list. :smile:

I see forks over knives has been recommended a number of times on here. I'll have to give that a looksy too.
  • Pinkfrk
    Pinkfrk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey keepitoff! I've been a full-blown vegan now for 3 weeks. After a doctors appointment last year that told me I was 30 with high cholesterol (not super high, but high enough to wonder WTF at age 30!), so that freaked me out. My doctor gave me a diet plan that was more for diabetics, but I noticed that I limited red meat and dairy. I hate fish, so I thought, "Why not go full vegan?" I tried, and after 2 days it was a completely FAIL because it was a complete 180 from my diet.

I didn't want to fail, but I made the commitment to gradually change, and it's taken me about 6 months to transition to full-blown vegan. I started by cutting out all of my processed foods - no more fancy salad dressing, snacks in boxes, etc. I started not really giving a crap about reading nutrition labels and was concerned more with the INGREDIENTS. I chose to only buy foods that had 5 ingredients or less, all of which I could pronounce. If I couldn't read the label, I wasn't putting that crap in my body. I'd cut different things out each week - switching my instant oatmeal to rolled or steel cut oats; eating whole fruits instead of crap like orange juice; switching out milk and creamer for coconut or almond milk. All of these changes were very easy to do, as I spread them out kind of one at a time. During this time, I looked at tons of recipes and started following vegan blogs and facebookers.

3 weeks into it, I feel fantastic. My cravings for crap are gone. The first 2 weeks were a little difficult, but last week was amazing and I lost almost 6 lbs, which was EFFORTLESS.

Pick up some good books (I'm reading "Eat to Live" and "Engine 2" right now) and find some recipes, and it's like a fun little experiment. :) Good luck!
  • VeganVamp
    VeganVamp Posts: 28
    Options
    I also really recommend the slowly, surely approach.

I have been vegetarian since I was 9, so almost 24 years now. I started to do vegan pledges towards the end of last year, so a few vegan days here and there, then a week etc, all the while falling back to being a 'guilty vegetarian' I call it!

I started a 7 day vegan pledge 16 days ago now ... think this is it for me.

I would start by thinking about what you might miss and trying to find good alternatives for it. I think going from vegetarian > vegan is much easier than meat eater > vegan. My one miss was always going to be cheese and chocolate. I have now found really lovely alternatives for both, so I'm happy!

Good luck with it, feel free to add me if you wish :)