Old habits...I NEED HELP

Options
I have always been pretty chubby ever since the age of 8 years old and was never really taught how to eat correctly. It was pretty bad. For example, I would eat a lot throughout each day, at dinner I would go back for 2nds and 3rds, then after dinner (almost every night of the week) my mom would make snacks, pop in a movie and we would eat chips, dips and other junk for at least at hour while we watched a movie. I feel like this is why I have such a hard time after dinner! I can do perfectly fine all day and feel good about how I ate, then dinner is over, the kids go to bed and all I want to do is eat crap that I shouldn't be eating...I'm not even hungry!!

Is there ANY help out there for this? I know that my will power is something I need to get control of, but if there are any helpful tips or just encouraging words, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

36525582.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    none of these may do a bit of good...but...try brushing your teeth after dinner, or save calories for a "bedtime snack", or tape a pic of the body you want on the fridge door..
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the crap and it won't be there to eat.
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I usually save some calories for an evening snack. My current favourite is a dish of ice cream (1/2 cup) and depending on the brand it's 130-150 calories. If I'm really lucky with the way I managed my day, I can sometimes even have some poptarts!
  • kleonard42
    kleonard42 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It's not ever really "crap" that I'm eating. It could be fruit, soup, pretzels....just anything. The issue that I'm having is the added calories. Plus, unfortunately, I am staying with my in-laws and they aren't trying to lose weight or eat well so that makes it a little tougher, too. Supposedly, if I get food for just myself it is considered rude because that's money that could be used to feed everyone in the house and not everyone wants to eat whole grains, fruits and veggies.

Really, I just need help with that feeling like I need to be eating or snacking on something after dinner.

@michelefrench-- thanks for the tips! I'll try those:)
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Would you be comfortable doing intermittent fasting? If you can't break the habit, embrace it and just eat your healthy/normal food primarily during the evenings.

IF isn't for everybody, but it's worth a go.

I don't think buying healthy, natural foods is rude. Don't buy creepy "diet" foods, but if you stock up on good stuff, I hardly think that would leave room for complaints.
  • kleonard42
    kleonard42 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I usually save some calories for an evening snack. My current favourite is a dish of ice cream (1/2 cup) and depending on the brand it's 130-150 calories. If I'm really lucky with the way I managed my day, I can sometimes even have some poptarts!

Thanks! I'll try to keep some extra calories available for the hard nights:)
  • Circapaleo
    Circapaleo Posts: 114
    Options
    Sometimes when I get the munchies in the evenings, I exercise for about 10 minutes. Something about the combination of taking my mind off food and the exercise that makes me not hungry for an hour or so. Sometimes I shower and do part of my nightly beauty routine for healthy feeling things to do that also help occupy myself. :)
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I knit.

No. Really. It keeps my hands busy while I watch TV, and I end up snacking less because I have to re-clean my fingers and pick up the needles after every chip or whatever.

I picked up the knitting as a thing to while I was quitting smoking. It apparently helps with the quitting eating too. ;-)