Use of Diuretics

Options
I took diuretics this morning and I never ever take them. The last time I ever took them was when I was "in my eating disorder". I'm not recovered.

I took them this morning to relieve the bloating and pressure from the chinese the past 3 days and high sodium. I was so miserable from retaining so much extra fluid. Is it bad to just take them once in awhile for that purpose?

I know that if you take them when you're not retaining extra fluid then you regain the water weigh (those that use them to LOSE "weight") but what about in this case?

Replies

• dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it! When I have water retention and feel uncomfortable, I always take some. It really does help because my legs can become very uncomfortable!

Don't use them if it's not for a good reason is my policy on this subject.
  • med2017
    med2017 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    no its not good to use diuretics for the purpose to get de-bloated!! diuretics are used for people who have left heart failure and edema, dont use things that you dont need, its unhealthy.

better to use a natural method, bloating will go away by itself, just control your sodium intake during the next couple days and youll be back to normal
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I take a mild diuretic daily for my HBP. I don't think taking one occassionally to alleviate bloating is a bad thing as long as you realize that they are helping to reduce water weight and aren't a permanent solution to weight loss. It seems that you have a basic grasp of that, so you should fine.
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    No it is not healthy to be taking diuretics to debloat, diuretics are for your heart, and they drop your blood volume = blood pressure drop as well. This is dangerous if you already have blood pressure that is low-normal! If you want to debloat, drink your 8 cups of water a day !!! This changes the concentration of sodium in you - natural + healthy! Don't take medications to do that!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Isnt the best "diuretic" just....water?

if you feel bloated just up your water intake. Its the safest way imho
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I've never taken them, but drinking more water actually helps with bloating. I also find that ginger helps. I have ginger tea, ginger altoids and real ginger when I have stomach bloating, but that's not for water retention.
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I won't beat you up over the diuretics use, as I don't really know one way or the other what harm they can do when used occasionally. However, I do know one thing that helps to debloat you naturally, should you want to give that a try - cut a lemon in half and drop the entire half-lemon into a mug of water, and then nuke the whole thing for about a minute or minute:30. Fish the lemon half out, and squeeze the juice into the water, then drink it all.

Just making hot water and squeezing lemon into it doesn't seem to have the same effect as actually nuking the lemon itself. Maybe give that a whirl the next time you're over-sodium'ed and see what it does?

Editing to add: I fully realize this sounds ridiculous, but it was my go-to solution before weigh-ins back when I was doing one of those weight loss programs that require you to check in a few times each week. It really did work. :tongue:
  • donnamariewilliams
    Options
    I was on diaretics for a long time. I ended up getting deyhyrdrated. When I went off of them, it was like detox for my body. My legs swelled up really bad. But little by little it calmed down. I now drink a lot of water and watch my sodium.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

Potassium and water yup. That is what my Dr. Told me. I had a diuretic prescribed to me a long time ago but since I upped my potassium and water I haven't needed it.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

I am with this answer.

I would also like to add, unless you are prescribed diuretics by a medically qualified person as part of a purpose for an illness then I would not think it is healthy?
  • mozingoashley
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I didn't really need the "talk" of whether it's unhealthy or not - just whether my body would react negatively afterwards. I understand that it isn't prescribed but a lot of things aren't - midol, ibuprofen, advil, and so on. I don't take medications unless I need them. I am aware that diuretics can really dehydrate you and cause severe issues when used incorrectly or taken more than they should be.

This is the first time I've taken them in a "healthy" mindset and the ONLY reason I took them was because I felt REALLY uncomfortable and it was painful - not because the number on the scale or to "slim down". I will not carefully watch my intake of sodium better to ensure this isn't a regular thing (lol). I get bloated OFTEN but water usually does do the trick but this time was painful and just awful. I guess I should have added more information and phrased my question better but I did get some good answers! :)

Thanks, everyone! :)
  • mozingoashley
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it! When I have water retention and feel uncomfortable, I always take some. It really does help because my legs can become very uncomfortable!

Don't use them if it's not for a good reason is my policy on this subject.

Thank you! :) Did you ever experience any re-bloating as a sign of your body freaking out? That's what I'm concerned about but I'm thinking since it's for GOOD purpose and I'm not trying to get rid of regular water weight; instead I was getting rid of a painful bloat that I should be fine.
  • mozingoashley
    Options
    I was on diaretics for a long time. I ended up getting deyhyrdrated. When I went off of them, it was like detox for my body. My legs swelled up really bad. But little by little it calmed down. I now drink a lot of water and watch my sodium.

that's my fear! I'm hoping since it's a one time thing and as long as I hydrate, hydrate hydrate that that doesn't happen.

I've been drinking water nonstop and peeing. haha. Thanks!
  • mozingoashley
    Options
    I won't beat you up over the diuretics use, as I don't really know one way or the other what harm they can do when used occasionally. However, I do know one thing that helps to debloat you naturally, should you want to give that a try - cut a lemon in half and drop the entire half-lemon into a mug of water, and then nuke the whole thing for about a minute or minute:30. Fish the lemon half out, and squeeze the juice into the water, then drink it all.

Just making hot water and squeezing lemon into it doesn't seem to have the same effect as actually nuking the lemon itself. Maybe give that a whirl the next time you're over-sodium'ed and see what it does?

Editing to add: I fully realize this sounds ridiculous, but it was my go-to solution before weigh-ins back when I was doing one of those weight loss programs that require you to check in a few times each week. It really did work. :tongue:

I'm definitely going to try that when I need to next time! :) What do you mean by nuking? Heating in the microwave?
  • sugah11
    sugah11 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Editing to add: I fully realize this sounds ridiculous, but it was my go-to solution before weigh-ins back when I was doing one of those weight loss programs that require you to check in a few times each week. It really did work.

I'm definitely going to try that when I need to next time! :) What do you mean by nuking? Heating in the microwave?
  • sugah11
    sugah11 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Nuking the lemon will make the juices flow. Also if you eat cantaloupe at bedtime and drink some water....you will loose your bloat !
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    diuretics can cause electrolyte imbalances so be careful.

I personally stick to drinking plenty of water when I'm bloated. Also be sure to eat potassium rich foods (basically all vegetables and fruits) because this will help your body get rid of the excess sodium.
  • mozingoashley
    Options
    diuretics can cause electrolyte imbalances so be careful.

I personally stick to drinking plenty of water when I'm bloated. Also be sure to eat potassium rich foods (basically all vegetables and fruits) because this will help your body get rid of the excess sodium.

Fruits and veggies? The only fruits and veggies I like are cucumbers, corn, and stringbeans. I do like pineapple and strawberry smoothies but that's it. So I'm "limited". I try to get in that, my daily vitamin, and what I can but I'm so super picky. One thing I would change if I could. It's the texture that I can't handle. :p I even have to blend my spaghetti sauce - I hate "chunks".

But thanks! This motivates me to swallow that big multi one a day vitamin, daily. Lol. I hate those things.
  • mozingoashley
    Options
    Nuking the lemon will make the juices flow. Also if you eat cantaloupe at bedtime and drink some water....you will loose your bloat !

asparagus, canteloupe, and most fruits and veggies I don't like. I only like corn, cucumbers, and green beans. And smoothies. LOL. I'm weird. :p but thank you! I'm definitely going to try the lemon thing when I need to next! :) I'm still bloated but I'm not uncomfortable like I was earlier this morning. I took the diuretic when I woke up and laid back down to take a nap cause I was so miserable. >.< I woke up feeling better even though I'm still bloated - I don't mind so much as long as I'm not super uncomfortable!
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I took diuretics this morning and I never ever take them. The last time I ever took them was when I was "in my eating disorder". I'm not recovered.

I took them this morning to relieve the bloating and pressure from the chinese the past 3 days and high sodium. I was so miserable from retaining so much extra fluid. Is it bad to just take them once in awhile for that purpose?

I know that if you take them when you're not retaining extra fluid then you regain the water weigh (those that use them to LOSE "weight") but what about in this case?

I also used to use them regularly when I had an active ED. I try to avoid them now because some things are just too much of a trigger for me, those and laxatives are def. two things that if I take them one day its hard to resist the urge the next day and the next day, etc.... that being said, I will occassionally take Diurex around TTOM if my bloating gets really uncomfortable. I have never had any issues doing that, now that I only take them when needed. But I do try to use other remedies if available. Like, the last time I used them was just because I was stuck at work and really uncomfortable and needed something easy since I was at work, had to go with what I had on hand.
    good luck to you :)