5k really!?!?!

Options
I found this 5K online today just by accident and I have talked not only myself but also a close friend of mine into doing it. This was a VERY unthought out decision hahaha! All of us a sudden I read the website and next thing I knew had convinced my friend to join me! I HATE running!!!!!!! What am I thinking?!

This isn't a typical 5K though, it's the Neon Splash Dash. It's not timed and it's mostly just for fun. But... we still gotta finish without dying haha! So we think we will start walking, then jogging, then MAYBE running for the next couple of months since it's in May.

Anyone have any other advice for us?? Neither of us are really out of shape, but not runners by any means hehe!!!

Replies

• Lenora_A_L
    Options
    Good for you!! I have been wanting to do a 5K but haven't just done it like you. I have lost 85lbs and I work out every day and recently have started doing a half walk, half run on my treadmill and am liking it. I worked into it slowly and it's not as hard as I thought it would be. I think if you and your friend start off walking and then intersperse witih running you would do quite well by May! I think for me I will just be happy to finish tmy first 5K run.

Good Luck!!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k or c25k, google it. It's a program to take a non- runner to running a 5k. It does it gradually and is great for people that have never run before. Work it with your friend and you will have a great time doing it.

It sounds like you've picked a fun race for your first one. Just be careful because once biten by the running bug it's hard to not want to run even longer distances.

Edit: Now till May is about perfect to work up to a 5K.
  • yellknrb
    yellknrb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm on week two and trying not to die but pushing through this one:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx

They have free mp3 downloads
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I did that too before and I have done 2 k's in 2011
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

Like yourself I really hated running until very recently. I just didn't think I was built for it and everytime I got on a treadmill I hyperventilated after a couple of minutes. Running is so good for you though that I decided I wanted to give it a go and I downloaded a Couch to 5k (or C25K) app. I ran my first 5K in October, my first 10K at the end of last month, I am running a half marathon at the start of May and a full marathon in October! I now LOVE running. I go about three times a week and at least twice a week run 8-10 miles. It clears my head, helps me think and I have lost the tummy bulge that I really wanted to get rid of but couldn't budge! Running is fab.

There are lots of C25K training tips about, Google it :). And don't give up, even when you want to. Perseverance is key!

Good luck, you'll do great!

Ax
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the same 5K (Houston) I even created a team & got several friends to join in. I am WAY out of shape & have never done anything like this...but have been trying to walk / jog 2-3 miles each day to get ready. I decided to do it because it's not timed and seems like fun. For me I hope it leads to tougher 5Ks

GOOD LUCK to you & your friend!!!
  • Petef82
    Petef82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My advice is not to rush too soon take it steady and gradually build yourself up and stretch before and after running.
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    go to youtube and search Color run.... sooooooo much fun!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a great program if you're just getting started. Another option is to run and walk in intervals for the entire race. I've done a half dozen 5Ks and even more half marathons using that method (run 4 minutes, walk one minute and repeat) and it's made all of the difference for me. Jeff Galloway's site has a training schedule: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html and info for beginners: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/beginners.html. There's also a 5K iPhone app.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, Couch to 5K is the way to go. It's a great program! I had NEVER been a runner and I just ran my first 5K in January. I've got another one coming up next month. Finishing a 5K was one of the greatest feelings I've ever had. Congrats on signing up and good luck
  • courtneydeewalk
    Options
    Have fun! Themed races are a blast!! And who says you have to RUN the whole thing?? Run what you can, have fun with it!! Hopefully the run benefits an organization.

Im not a fan of running, but I have already signed up for 3 5k's this season.. .why?.. eh, why not?? :o) Mudruns, color runs, whatever... have fun! Walk when you want, run when you can! :o)
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for having the guts to sign up. :drinker:
    Yes the C25K Program really works. I finished that and then continued with 10K Trainer. I went from barely running for 30 seconds to week 11 where you run 3 18 minutes sections with 1 minute of walking between them. I am doing my second 5K this Saturday.
  • lwhite0503
    lwhite0503 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used c25k and loved run. Run my first real 5k on Saturday. Eeeeeek!! Good luck!! :smile:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Do it!!! My first 5K was a color run, which is a similar experience. It's just all in good fun and there is no pressure. Run when you can and walk when you need to. The first step is completing one, then you can work on time/distance.
  • Terrymichelle
    Terrymichelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm gong to down load the C2K app on my phone. OMG!!!!! I'm soooo excited! I am so proud of myself for just convincing myself to do it hehe!!!!! Thanks for all the great tips!!!