Super Skim Milk vs Regular Skim Milk

Options
So I have a little story about my Milk this week. I used to drink Super Skim Milk... I could NOT stand the taste and look of Regular Skim Milk. I just loved the stuff and got a bunch of people into drinking it, lol...Well then I moved across town and Walmart was no longer just in my backyard and Kroger was. The lovely store that is Kroger does not sell Super Skim Milk, all they carry is plain regular Skim Milk...so I trained myself to drink it and I am fine with it! I cook with it, love the stuff!

This weekend I was at Walmart and I decided that for old times sake I would buy some Super Skim Milk... The next morning I wake up to make my regular cereal and I pour the Milk... I stood there for a second in totally confusion it was SOO THICK... I thought it had already gone bad. So I smelled the jug, smelled fine....tasted a little bit of it, tasted fine...So I went ahead and made my cereal.

It wasn't until much later in the dat that I realized and remembered that Super Skim Milk is made to resemble 2% Milk so that more people will drink it!! lol ... I am still having issues with how thick it is, but I soo love the taste! We cooked with it the other day and I couldn't believe the difference it made in the food.

I am sure I won't leave the regular skim milk for long...but I do enjoy that super stuff! hahahaha!

Replies

• GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    I've never seen in any store super skim milk. What's the difference? It's thicker & tastes like 2% but is really skim?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Wonder what they're putting in it to thicken it?
  • lsand
    lsand Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've never heard or seen super skim milk. How many calories, compared to regular skim milk?
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I had never seen it either until a friend introduced me to it one day!

Its about ten calories more (90) for one cup...so it's rather comparable.

And I am not sure how it's made or why it's thicker...worth looking into I guess.
  • drumph32
    drumph32 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hmm..you know it is not the thickness of skim milk I do not like it is the taste of it. So it tastes similar to 2%? I just stick with 1% sometimes.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I sometimes drink fat free half and half....I assume they use the same thickener for that, just more of it?

I was curious about how it was thickened, and have been told that it's some sort of seaweed extract.
  • SammyLynn010
    Options
    Hmm..you know it is not the thickness of skim milk I do not like it is the taste of it. So it tastes similar to 2%? I just stick with 1% sometimes.

I haven't had 2% in a long time, but when I did used to drink it and switched to super skim... I do remember I was shocked that it tasted almost the same!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I was very curious so I did a search. This is great because my husband hates skim milk and we compromised on 2%, but I just can't drink that stuff. So, this will be great for him so that he can have that thick creaminess that is claims is missing from Skim. I love regular skim and will stick with that, but here is the info:
    The days of ''blue'' skim milk may be numbered.

With the invention of a mixture containing oat flour, ordinary skim milk can be transformed into a reasonable facsimile of milk with 2 percent milkfat -- creamy and rich rather than thin and watery.

The new ingredient, Replace, contains thickeners and stabilizers as well as the flour, called Oatrim, which may help to reduce cholesterol. Super-skimmed milk mixed with Replace is expected to be available in many parts of the country by the fall. Its development was announced last week by Golden Jersey Products of Vero Beach, Fla.

Milk fortified with Replace is lower in fat -- 0.05 grams of fat per 8 ounces as opposed to 0.5 grams for skim milk and almost 5 grams for 2 percent milk -- but its major selling point is likely to be taste.

In a side-by-side comparison 2 percent milk wins, but that difference disappears when the milk is poured over cereal. For coffee it is a great improvement over the coffee whiteners now on the market, because it has body. As heathful substitutes go, skim milk with Replace has it all over nonfat cheese and nonfat sour cream.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I've never heard of or seen Super Skim in any of the stores around here.

I only buy 1% milk from a certain dairy, it just tastes SO much better (no weird aftertaste that I think store brand 1% and skim milks have).
  • SammyLynn010
    Options
    I was very curious so I did a search. This is great because my husband hates skim milk and we compromised on 2%, but I just can't drink that stuff. So, this will be great for him so that he can have that thick creaminess that is claims is missing from Skim. I love regular skim and will stick with that, but here is the info:
    The days of ''blue'' skim milk may be numbered.

With the invention of a mixture containing oat flour, ordinary skim milk can be transformed into a reasonable facsimile of milk with 2 percent milkfat -- creamy and rich rather than thin and watery.

The new ingredient, Replace, contains thickeners and stabilizers as well as the flour, called Oatrim, which may help to reduce cholesterol. Super-skimmed milk mixed with Replace is expected to be available in many parts of the country by the fall. Its development was announced last week by Golden Jersey Products of Vero Beach, Fla.

Milk fortified with Replace is lower in fat -- 0.05 grams of fat per 8 ounces as opposed to 0.5 grams for skim milk and almost 5 grams for 2 percent milk -- but its major selling point is likely to be taste.

In a side-by-side comparison 2 percent milk wins, but that difference disappears when the milk is poured over cereal. For coffee it is a great improvement over the coffee whiteners now on the market, because it has body. As heathful substitutes go, skim milk with Replace has it all over nonfat cheese and nonfat sour cream.

THIS IS AWESOME!!

Thank you for finding this! Where did you find it?
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I like the United Dairy Ultra Skim Milk...:love: (green cap)...it taste just like 2% milk also..I have even put it in a 2% jug and set in fridge and never said a word to any of my family and guess what:tongue: ..Yep... you got it they drank it and never said a word about it!!:laugh: but this is the family that hates skim milk...so they say:wink: and I never said a word as to what I had done either:bigsmile:
  • SammyLynn010
    Options
    I like the United Dairy Ultra Skim Milk...:love: (green cap)...it taste just like 2% milk also..I have even put it in a 2% jug and set in fridge and never said a word to any of my family and guess what:tongue: ..Yep... you got it they drank it and never said a word about it!!:laugh: but this is the family that hates skim milk...so they say:wink: and I never said a word as to what I had done either:bigsmile:

HAHAHA! That is awesome! And halarious!! ... That is truly mind of over matter!! =D
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I did a search on Yahoo! and found that article on the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/08/11/weekinreview/no-more-crying-over-skim-milk.html?sec=health?pagewanted=1
  • christied954
    Options
    I drink Skim Plus, which sounds very similar to Super Skim Milk. I love it, it's sooooo much better than regular "blue" skim milk.