Fit people who say they are fat

Options
2»

Replies

• iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    They have different goals. A guy who is heavily into lifting for example, might feel "fat" when his BF% is a little higher than what he'd like it to be, even though he would still be considered "fit" by most people.
    Also, body image issues are not reserved for the overweight.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    They have different goals. A guy who is heavily into lifting for example, might feel "fat" when his BF% is a little higher than what he'd like it to be, even though he would still be considered "fit" by most people.
    Also, body image issues are not reserved for the overweight.

QFT!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I hate when there is skinny people around me claiming they are so "fat".

I just stand there like.. "Um...really?.. so what am I?"
    This is usually my issue. ^

I understand a little better about the attitude of skinny people claiming they are fat, because now I see usually they just want to be more toned up.

BUT, I will say, it still bothers me when I hear it or see it mainly because I am thinking the same thing, "If you are fat, then wtf am I?" It just feels like a slap in the face I guess. :/

But they are talking about themselves, not you....you're the one that's thinking about what they think of you!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    to the OP - I totally understand where you are coming from I know for me personally when I was obese I would get upset if one of my buddies was like '**** I am getting fat' and they were no where near as big as me. I will agree there are cases where people are just doing it to hear others go 'omg you are not fat' blah blah blah - but its all a perspective thing too - I know people with six packs who are on a bulk and actually are 'fat' for them

but I see where you are coming from for sure
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I went from dancing 9 times a week to sitting at a desk 24/7. A little bit of weight later and I felt like absolute garbage and my heart would race walking up stairs. Your interpretation of 'fit' may not be someone elses.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    lol That's funny how when a person says they are fat, other people automatically make it about themselves right away and think it's a comment on their size. Insecurity issues, no? It's not about you, it's about that person and their comfort level with their body. They're saying how they FEEL about themselves. If a skinny person wanted to tell you you're fat, they would just tell you you're fat.

If someone complains they are not good at something, I don't make it about myself and take that as a comment on my performance in the same area. I find that very weird.

^ Pretty much all of your comments in this thread so far.

Body dysmorphia is a really thing, and affects one's own perception. I look in the mirror and routinely see someone much bigger and different looking; I don't look at my friends as hideous or ugly. There's psychology on people finding their friends more attractive than others, because the affection and their familiarity, also.

People hold themselves to much higher standards--that does not mean I'm holding others to it.

Plus, as also said earlier--gaining weight feels uncomfortable at any level. Just because someone's still a healthy weight, or looks good to an observer, doesn't mean a person can't be uncomfortable with a gain.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    As a "runner" this is kind of what I think sometimes when I am talking to other runners and say "oh but I am slow." And they'll go "oh I'm slow too" and turns out they run like an 8 minute mile versus my 12.

So of course my first reaction (in my head only) is "pft! 8min/mile is FAST! wut you complainin' bout!" But then I think about how we would all like to improve and how we all have goals. And it's no biggie. And the 6 or 8 min/milers do not judge me for being slow, most of them just see me as "fellow runner" even though I'm too slow for us to run together, and I know we are cheering each other on to hit our own personal goals.
  • lovinme85
    Options
    I thought your post was funny!

I just dislike whiners in general...Fat, Skinny or in between :-)

If you're having a bad day, fine. But if your bad day is every hour on the hour...STHU
  • tuxedord2
    tuxedord2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    lol That's funny how when a person says they are fat, other people automatically make it about themselves right away and think it's a comment on their size. Insecurity issues, no? It's not about you, it's about that person and their comfort level with their body. They're saying how they FEEL about themselves. If a skinny person wanted to tell you you're fat, they would just tell you you're fat.

If someone complains they are not good at something, I don't make it about myself and take that as a comment on my performance in the same area. I find that very weird.

Hmmm. Not all the time. Some say they are fat in the company of fat people to make themselves feel better. They want the "oh come on you're not fat..." comment. They need that comment so they can feel good about themselves (then they think-- "I know I'm not fat I just wanted someone to say it." This is true because this was me when I was skinny!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I do not know about everyone else but it kills me to read a thread like "OMG I can not believe I am this big" and the person post a pic and they have a six pack and 2% body fat..WTF!!! I am happy you are in shape but if you are posting that sort of statement and are IN shape and just looking for people to say you look good....stop already!!!! lol Please...it is not helping anyone except yourself! It seems that the majority of us on this site are FAT...and it is hard to get in shape..and then you got some knucklehead saying how out of shape they are and they post a pic and look like a friggin super model...give us a break!!!!

Sorry for the rant I am......I am starving hear!! lol
    eat something and stop being so judgemental please.

this isn't my fatness pal. it's FITNESS. that means people who want to get in shape no matter how 'fat' they are.
  • educatyion
    educatyion Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes, don't take another person's perception or misconception of themselves, personal. Enjoy being happy and healthy in your own skin. I detest when people make fat synonymous with inferior or ugly while looking or being skinny is a compliment. However, since I know I look good and feel great, my fat, fit, and fab self, just keeps on stepping. Good luck on your health journey (whatever your goals are :)
  • tuxedord2
    tuxedord2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A true example of human nature when someone judges someone else as judgmental. Let us all just get along... The OP was hungry, he posted his thoughts, it's okay to speak your mind...
  • mark525
    mark525 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The whole reason for the post was I thought it was funny!! I was not trying to be mean or think to deep on it...just thought it was funny when someone who is in shape complain how fat they are.....and say i dont know why i did this I bought a bikini...and they look like a friggin supermodel..lol still makes me laugh!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!