Same old boring steamed vegetables

Options
Tonight I sauteed a zuchinni with a little no cal butter spray, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, cracked black pepper, and garlic powder. It was delicious! I normally eat just steamed frozen veggies and that gets soooooo boring. I'm looking for suggestions on how to cook fresh vegetables. I'm open to try anything at least once. I'm not a very fancy cook, so the recipes should be fairly easy (and quick). Please help change up my frozen veggie dinner routine!!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Most veggies are really tasty baked, even caulli and broc. Spray with some olive oil, sprinkle with some seasoning and pop them in the oven.
  • bdcmoran
    bdcmoran Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have found that I love asparagus - canned, frozen, doesn't matter - pop in microwave - add a little butter and/or garlic salt - really good.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    olive oil, garlic, onion, green beans (1 cup) and pero peppers (2 servings) sometimes I mix in some brown rice or quinoa for nice little stir fry ..sooo good
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Grilled aspargus is awesome and sauteed cabbage is great too just put a touch of olive oil and salt and pepper and you are good to go. Not sure if you eat sweet potato(not really a veg) but it is great with cajun seasoning to switch things up a bit.
  • imstrong4me
    imstrong4me Posts: 119
    Options
    aspergus, brussel sprouts and brocolii cabbage is what I do im gonna try artichoke
  • bhawkins0711
    bhawkins0711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    olive oil, garlic, onion, green beans (1 cup) and pero peppers (2 servings) sometimes I mix in some brown rice or quinoa for nice little stir fry ..sooo good

I've never heard of pero peppers
  • bhawkins0711
    bhawkins0711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Grilled aspargus is awesome and sauteed cabbage is great too just put a touch of olive oil and salt and pepper and you are good to go. Not sure if you eat sweet potato(not really a veg) but it is great with cajun seasoning to switch things up a bit.

I would have never put sweet potato and cajun seasoning together. Definitely will have to try that!
  • peterjackson66
    Options
    Spinach lightly sauteed with garlic....use Canola oil!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I throw a good cheese on the boring ones. Protein! Calcium!
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    This is not for everybody but I put spicy Dijon mustard on them. Especially broccoli. It is addicting. Low cal, low fat, low sugar. Yummo!
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Make homemade dressings. Just be caused they are boiled or steamed doesn't mean the cant be dressed up. And oil/vinegar combo with fresh herbs... Yummy. You choose the oil and the vinegar... Or in place of vinegar use a fresh squeezed citrus fruit, like lemon lime or orange. For herbs.... Anything from minced peppers, garlic, or onion... To rosemary, hot peppers, oregano or chives.

Some of my favourites:

On mixed veggies
    Minced garlic
    4 tbsp olive oil
    Juice from one lemon
    Cut up fresh oregano (or dried)
    Salt and pepper to taste

On steamed kale
    Juice from half a lemon
    A drizzle of olive
    Minced garlic

On Boiled & strained Swiss chard
    Balsamic vinegar to olive oil 4:1 tbsp
    Minced garlic

Roasted veggies:
    Brushed with olive oil & Italian seasoning with cut up fresh onion

Roasted potatoes:
    Brushed with olive oil and rosemary and salt and pepper
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I tried making baked Kale chips today and it was good as a side dish. Super easy to make. I found the recipe on the internet.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Try A1 sauce lightly sprinkled on steamed broccoli or cauliflower.
    Garlic powder and olive oil on Brussels sprouts. Or I make them with boiled white onions and a mix of white vinegar and A1.
    Carrots with a little butter brown sugar and almond slices.
    Garbanzo beans broiled with garlic powder and olive oil.
    Cauliflower with pine nuts, bacon and red pepper flakes.
    Grilled zucchini, summer squash and egg plant. Just olive oil, balsamic vinegar and Italian seasoning.
    Roasted or grilled asparagus with lemon and garlic.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Roast them, puree them, grill them, sautee them, smoothie them, pickle them, dip them, salad them, slaw them, omelet them, frittata them... mmm veggies.
  • malena126
    malena126 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Herbs, not just spices. some garlic with rosemary (crush it up so you arent eating needles!). i like rubbed sage on veggies too, the container says to use it for meat, but i think it tastes good with some pepper on veggies too. Just a couple suggestions. if you have it, use a mortar and pestle to grind up the rosemary, if not just breaking them up helps. it relieves tension too, the rosemary sent) great in potato soup as a worthwhile mention too.
    Happy eating!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes I also get bored with steamed veggies done the same way. :flowerforyou:
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Spinach lightly sauteed with garlic....use Canola oil!

sooo good
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I've never heard of pero peppers

they come in a bag..it is basically combination of yellow, organ, and red peppers..or you can just buy yellow and red peppers and dice them up ...
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options

^^ I do this frequently!! I love the pero peppers!!
    Also - make your own veggie coleslaw. steam the veggies so they're firm, chop them into strips/chunks and instead of mixing with mayo, mix with a spicy mustard. SOOO good, refreshing, filling & low cal.

Feel free to look at my diary to see what I eat on a reg basis as I live on veggies!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Boiled artichokes. Cook until a fork will easily pierce the heart (bottom)
    Dip leaves in butter and A1.