Destined to be chubby?

Options
I have been on this weight control roller coaster for years now...I just watched a family member go from obese to being a size 4 personal trainer in the past 2 years...I loose motivation as fast as I can get it and its making me crazy.

Food side, I have a serious addiction to cheesey bad for you things and I have been working hard on that. I still splurge (probably more than I should) but I'm getting much better.

Excersize side, I SUCK! I have done everything from C25K, 30 day shred, insanity, weights, to just walking...I get this mental block when things get tough and I can't get over it!

I am 5'9 Starting weight 198lbs current weight 182-184 Goal 155. Today I felt great on the exercise side, but my food choices were terrible. I did 3.3 miles at a 10min per mile pace, and did some pilates. But I ate junk so I feel like it was a waisted workout :(

I guess honestly this is more of a vent...and if I put it out here I'm more accountable for my actions. Do you ever feel like your goals are unreachable??

Replies

• diabloben68
    Options
    Sometimes in life its not our weight that is the problem. Maybe there are some other things that are keeping you from achieving your goals entirely.

For me, I used to be wholeheartedly addicted to video games. I would play everquest, Diablo 3, BF3 for 6+ hours a day. Looking back, it was obvious that was a problem, at the time I didn't see it as a hangup though. Eventually I got to a point where I wanted to accomplish things in my life, and I honestly realized that I couldn't be a gamer and do the things I dreamed of.

Whatever you do, dont give up, you are worth more than that. You will get to your goal, just stick with it and fight back when adversity comes your way.
  • atla_moves
    Options
    To me.. all that exercise you listed sounds an awful lot like.. exercise. Why not find an exercise that is less "exercise-ish" and more fun? Try hula hooping (or hoop dancing), hiking, dancing, or a sport?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I really liked this post about motivation
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818701-the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead?hl=motivation+myth

I used to feel the same way you did. For me, it came down to a decision.
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think you've got to start examining why you are your own worst enemy. Why do you self sabotage? What are you afraid of? Are you afraid that even if you look the way you want, your life isn't going to change? The real core problems will still be there? Well, they likely will be. But, you'll be tougher if you stick things out and better able to deal with them. You have to want it and you have to do it for you--not someone else. And if you can't do it for you, examine why you think you're not worth doing it for.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    well...as far as the food, how are you splurging? is it during meals or snacks? have you tried incorporating something high volume/low cal to go with it? like, say...when you get cheese, have it with a BIG salad. that way, you still get your treat, but you are filling up on good stuff instead.

as for exercise, perhaps one of the game system workouts? zumba and other dance games can be fun. you don't even think about them as workouts. my sister and i do a dance off until we are both falling over or we do a timed workout course on our own. so much fun!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Also, you may want to look at the fact that your diet may be behind some of your problems. If you are too restricted, it is easy to go off the rails. Eat mostly whole food, eat a little bit of what you like. Forget crash and fad diets.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    No, you choose your destiny and design your life.
  • HeidibooJB
    HeidibooJB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I was the same. I'd get motivated. lose 10lbs, fall off the wagon because the exercise was boring, and I had little will power as far as eating goes. I topped out at 205 lbs after back surgery in 2006, and after recovering, discovered Zumba. I am a walking infomercial now. I absolutely love it; it's so much fun, and one H*ll of a workout. I started teaching a year ago, and also teach ZumbAtomic to kids. I have lost 55+ lbs doing it, and it helps me keep the lbs off. Now I eat sensibly, big thanks to MFP for help with keeping me on top of my eating, and usually let myself have one guilt free cheat day a week.
    Try Zumba. It's fun, high energy, and addictive! The first couple of times you may feel like an uncoordinated dolt (I did), but it gets better with time and practice.
  • luvmysweet2th
    Options
    I can totally relate to what your going through. I have over 100 pounds to loose. Its hard . I know. I can do good for a week then fall weak. I just had to throw out some junk I didn't want to part with. Just know that there will be times we will go for that junk we love but we just can't say f#*&^ it when we do. I hate working out but if I don't I can't indulge thoughs times when I really want to. Stay strong girl know your not by yourself and I will be praying for your success
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I really liked this post about motivation
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818701-the-myth-of-motivation-and-what-you-need-instead?hl=motivation+myth

I used to feel the same way you did. For me, it came down to a decision.

Love that!

To the OP - I'm sorry you feel that way. But you're the only one who can control it and change it. I've been in your shoes. I thought I could never lose weight. I thought there was some unknown reason holding me back. Turns out, it was just me. Once I decided that I was no longer going to accept fatness and unhealthiness as normal, my life changed. You have to decide that and change that.
  • SamanthaRuzicka
    SamanthaRuzicka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Big thanks to everyone responding!

on the food, I LOVE things like tacobell....doesn't even have to be the real thing we have "Taco bell night" where I make a variety of taco, burrito, chip things and we create our own....even on days like this I can USUALLY stick to my calories, but there's that one week a month when I crave nothing but junk. Chocolate, cheeseburgers, fries, just Junk...the one thing I have broken my habit completely on so far is Sodas, I don't want them at all anymore (Huge victory for me)

I love walking/jogging I'm not great at it yet, but I love it...the next day i'm so sore it kills me to go out again, but I could easily go 4+ miles around our neighborhood no problem...I just love the quiet alone time. I have zumba for the xbox and I like to do it occasionally. I just started pilates (hate it) because I have zero flexability so I though it would help if I just push myself through it.

Today I am very sore, and now comes the decision to push through or give up...I want to push, I need to push, I have watched my whole family struggle with weight and it depresses me to think about being that way. I refuse!
  • aleenazaz
    aleenazaz Posts: 24
    Options
    I have gone through this phase but believe me the more you stick to it the better you will feel later and the more motivated and dedicated you will feel. You can still have your tacos and cheesy stuff but minimize the portion size and gradually work your way from there . Make small changes first and you are better off sticking to it. This is what I did :) YOU CAN DO IT GIRL !