fit bit, hrm or both?

Options
Just recently started logging and after a week I bought a food scale. Realized I very much underestimated by quantities! So now I assume I have also been wrong when logging my exercise. Have been reading about the fit bit, body media trackers... but also about heart rate monitors.

Which one do I get -- a tracker type thing a heart rate monitor or both? And I'd love to hear the explanations behind the answers.

Last little kink - I also do water aerobics on days that I am sore but assume there is no real reliable way to measure that?

Replies

• Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    HRMs are great if you don't mind the chest strap.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my FitBit! I prefer my little grasshopper sized bra attachment. It is with me all day, calculates my calories burned for the whole day instead of just my workout sessions, and gives me fun little goals with the badge system. :-)
  • lbpslah
    lbpslah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bumping to hear as well. I am in the market for something similiar, I just want to know my calories burned. I've been looking at the Polar watches, just hard to decide!!
  • lmnconn
    lmnconn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit One. I wear it 24/7. The combo of Fibit and MFP sync well together. As long as you log your food as you go in MFP during the day, Fitbit let's you know exactly where you are and if you need to eat more or less throughout the day. Fitbit is so small, nobody even know I'm wearing it.
  • tuxedord2
    tuxedord2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
  • joslin2005
    joslin2005 Posts: 138
    Options
    I have both. I LOVE my fitbit. The fitbit will catch my every day activities while the HRM only works for cardio...... I have Polar FT4 and its alright. It works well for cardio workouts but doesn't accurately calculate circuit, strength or activities. When biking or running/walking, the fitbit is VERY close to the HRM. I definitely recommend the fitbit. I know many people that love their HRM as well. Polar FT4 and Polar FT7 seem to be the popular ones.
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and I love it. It works great to track movement everyday.. But i also have. Hrm to track my calories burned while exercising and most hrm are water resistant so you can use them in water.. Fitbits are not water resistant they can splashed and such but not submerged in water
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. I can honestly say that it inspires me to move more.
  • shiloreis
    shiloreis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT 40 but for some reason the number of calories that it says I burn doesn't even come close to what MFP says I burn! Getting kind of frustrated and the chest band isn't all that comfortable! I think if I could do it again I would get something else!
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The Mio Active is both. I love mine!
  • tuxedord2
    tuxedord2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Helps tremendously!
  • Tmoney19
    Tmoney19 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have both and recommend getting both. The HRM is very accurate since it comes with a chest strap that monitors your heart beats. I have the Polar F7 and LOVE it! It’s GREAT to know your actual calories burn and makes me keep an eye on it to push myself to burn more during workouts. It keeps your daily workouts in the data that way you can go back to other days to see the length of workout you did as well as calories burned during that workout. It helps track these things in a log so that you can see how much better you are getting. I prefer this opposed to Fitbit during my workouts because it actually tells you your heart rate at the moment which gives you an accurate calories burned. The Fitbit is not an accurate tracker for calories burned because it does not know nor read your heart rate so how could it be even close to accurate for calories burned. I do like Fitbit to wear all day and while I’m at work it makes me want to get up walk around or go do stairs just to get it more steps and stairs than the day before. I also like that Fitbit tracks your sleep, it lets you know how many time you've been awaken while sleep and how many hours of sleep you actually got. I hope this helps :smile:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit ultra, have had it for almost a year and I wear it day and night. I love it!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM but I would love a fit bit, I think it would give me more motivation.
  • jmv2012
    jmv2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia - what they use on The Biggest Loser and like it very much. It is an eye opener.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    BMF is all you need.