Questions on weight lifting

Options
Okay I need help. I have been losing weight and trying to build muscle/reserve muscle at the same time
But after I reach my goal I want to gain muscle as a primary focus.
Im about 8-10 pounds away from goal. Im 72.5 inches tall(6 ft and half an inch)
About 188 pounds.I run 3 or more miles every day and I've been doing weight lifting at
Least 2 times per week. I want to know how much of a calorie surplus is realistic?
500 extra per day seems to be the common number but im already between 2500-3000 calories per day.
What are your experiences on gaining muscle and what worked best for you?
Any advice would be awesome as it would be counter productive for me to just gain
Back fat instead of lbm. Thanks guys!

Replies

• GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CreativeFedora
    Options
    Suppers!

I started off on my clean bulk program at the end of November with an end date on March 29th. Over that period I'll gain 16lbs, with 160 being my target goal. I'm so stoked that I'm 2 pounds away and that I trusted my nutrition and lifting!

This is what my programed looks like:

Lifting 3 times a week. I started off at 5x5 and eventually moved many of my exercises to 5x6-8. The exercises that I focused on are: squats, deadlifts, flat bench press, overhead shoulder press, bentover barbell rows, tricep extensions, and barbell curls.

Very little cardio, only about 10mins on non lifting days where I worked on my core.

My target nutrition is 2,800 cals, about 400 - 500 over my BMR. The macros that I target are: 350g carbs, 78g fat, and 175g protein.

This program that I followed has helped me gain a steady pound per week and increased the amount of weight I lift. There's definitely been an increase in muscle mass and I can't wait until I cut some fat off to see a bit more definition.

I used this calc (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/weight_gain_calculator.htm) to figure my cal intake. It provided me with an idea of where I needed to be, it took me about 4 weeks to fine tune my nutrition.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you're at with your lifting progress. For beginners I usually don't recommend a surplus because the first several months you aren't lifting heavy enough to justify it. After that I'd recommend cutting your running way down (or completely) and going with something like 300 over maintenence. Track your progress closely in the beginning. And the middle. And the end.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I like a pretty narrow surplus, like 250 cals or 10% or so. But feel it out. Maybe 500 would be better for you. You can always scale it back if bf is going up too quickly.
  • CreativeFedora
    Options
    But feel it out.

Exactly. It'll take a few weeks to find the routine that works best for you.
  • GODfidence
    Options
    Thanks guys. I usually mess around with barbells and just started doing squats and bench presses.
    Gaining muscle seems so more more complicated than losing weight.
    Its more of a science it seems...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    We wish it was science. It's more like an art. That's why we end up in heated debates all the time
  • CreativeFedora
    Options
    It's an art that can be approached from so many different angles, thus leading to heated debate. I'd say keep it simple.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I like a pretty narrow surplus, like 250 cals or 10% or so.

^ I'd start there and increase as needed.
  • GODfidence
    Options
    Lol. I know there is allot of bulking gone wrong though where the person ends
    Up fat or bigger again. It seems like you can lose weight fast but can't gain muscle fast..
    What's a reasonable amount of gains per week? I was thinking at least a pound?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Lol. I know there is allot of bulking gone wrong though where the person ends
    Up fat or bigger again. It seems like you can lose weight fast but can't gain muscle fast..
    What's a reasonable amount of gains per week? I was thinking at least a pound?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html

^ Very good info in the above links, that should address this.