New Here! Need backup!! :) ( and thyroid question)

Options
Hey Everyone! I just started a week or so ago. Had a great week, but then totally fell off the wagon this weekend. Im gonna try to not get discouraged and just start right back in, but I really really want this!!! A question...I have a super underactive thyroid, and was wondering if anyone else suffers from this and has succesfully lost weight? Sometimes I feel like it wont happen because of my metabolism.

Replies

• kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Well, while falling off the bandwagon can suck and leave you feeling discouraged, the best thing to do is to shake it off and hop right back on.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    Are you taking the medication every day, to help your thyroid levels stay stable. If so, you should be able to lose weight like any one else. but if you have an untreated under active thyroid, it could cause you some problems losing. talk to you doctor, and get on some treatment if your not already. i don't have an under active thyroid. mine is actually over active.

good luck.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hypoactive thyroids are pretty common. There are a lot of people here, myself included, who have lost large amounts of weight "despite" having hypoactive thyroids. That said, if you have not seen a medical professional to have your thyroid issues managed, I suggest you do so.
  • abeachlady
    abeachlady Posts: 88
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid, and didn't think I could lose weight either. I put off trying for a very long time. As it turns out I lost weight, and actually quite easily. Eat less, move more, the weight comes off even with an underactive thyroid.:smile:
  • carreen
    carreen Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It will definitely happen for you if you stick with it. I take meds for my thyroid, so it doesnt affect my weight loss. Only the late night cookies affect my progress. You can do it!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty crappy thyroid that is now finally within normal range with medication. I've barely been losing weight, but I've been told my body just might need to catch up. Good luck to you! Add me if you'd like.
  • drgooch
    drgooch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Are you on any meds for the thyroid? I am on synthroid and since being put on meds I have lost 15 pounds total. :happy: It seems easier to lose the weight and it is not as easy gaining the weight. Good luck!
  • AmberMahfouz
    AmberMahfouz Posts: 316
    Options
    I actually had my thyroid removed and find that it is a little more difficult to lose weight, but not impossible. You just have to make sure you don't let your mind use that as an excuse.

Also, you could take Bee Pollen vitamins or B 12 vitamins to give your body a kickstart it might be missing out on from underactive thyroid.

I toook B 12 for quite some time and it kept my sugars regulated and made me have less carb cravings which are common for underactive thyroid.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My weekends are a hot mess. :-)

I am at the point where I'm looking to only trim up, not necessarily lose pounds, so luckily I'm able to eat bad on the weekends and still maintain where I am now. But I think you'll find this site super supportive!

I suspect some thyroid issues, but have never really done anything about it. It runs in my family, but my biggest hint is that when I'm pregnant, I drop weight like crazy no matter what I eat. Horrible problem to have, eh? The only bad part is that I can't be pregnant all the time! :tongue:

You'll do great! Just resume as normal if you have a bad day/days/weekend, and you'll get to your goal.
  • GrandmaSue16
    Options
    I also have under active thyroid. I have found the magic combination is take meds-eat less-move more. Some weekends are really hard - just get up Monday morning and try again.
  • Love2HikeMT
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis which has resulted in serious hypothyroidism. There is no doubt that this affects your metabolism. I have found that I must keep active and refrain from carbs (no potatoes, no rice, no bread, no grains, etc.) in order to lose weight. Also, be sure to take your thyroid medication on an empty stomach at least one hour before eating. This is very important for good absorption.
  • suwannak
    suwannak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had thyroid cancer two years ago and had to have my thyroid removed. Even though I'm on meds, I definitely struggled with my weight, my body just does not process food the same way. I have come to the realization that I have to make some long term changes to adjust to my metabolism. I'm 37, and just a week ago, had a test done that lets me know I have the metabolism of an 81 year old. I'm starting insanity today =-) But more importantly, it's the start of a 9 month journey for me to get healthy, you see in 9 months, I get married. I am confident that with excersize in some changes to my diet, I'll be able to rev up my metabolism, just like I'm confident that you'll show your metabolism who's boss :smile: .
    Keep me updated in your progress!! I'm sure that you'll do great! These boards seem to be a great place to come for support. I"ll definintely be here alot.
  • kountrygirl03
    Options
    Like several of the other ladies, I had my thyroid removed last year due to graves disease and multi nodular goiter. I find it EXTREMELY HARD to lose weight, but I maintain fairly well. It's a combination of the proper foods, exercise and your meds that will keep your metabolism in check. I take several vitamins to keep my energy level up. I've also read The Thyroid Hormone book, its mainly for ppl with underactive thyroids rather than no thyroid, but some of the things work. Good luck
  • jrexatl
    jrexatl Posts: 1
    Options
    I just found out 3 months ago about my hypothyroid and partly the cause of my 20 lbs weight gain. I have started thyroid supplement therapy with no significant change in metabolism yet. Dr. said the therapy takes several months to kick in and subtle in changes you notice. I finally decided to get my act in gear and started eating better and exercising and have lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks thus far.

I would like to know also if anyone else has thyroid issues and how well they are doing with or without diet/excercise.
  • iluvchad4
    iluvchad4 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have hypo as well for about 6yrs now. I have a very difficult time losing weight to. I find that if I workout at least 4-5 days a week and try to watch what I eat I can lose it. Once I get lazy about it thou it starts piling back on! Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.
  • melissadw76
    Options
    I am on medication, 150 mcg daily to be exact, and my levels are good now, but it still seems alot harder to lose weight. I feel encouraged though hearing all of your success stories, and im just gonna keep working at it!
  • melissadw76
    Options
    Ive never heard of adding B12. Im gonna try it!
  • for2day
    for2day Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have 'hypo' and it can be difficult. As long as I stick to a diet and work out, I can lose, but as soon as a lacks, the weight piles on very quickly. I had most of my thyroid removed about 8 years ago and I am going to ask my dr. about trying something different. I did some research on my medicine and all the side effects that I am having now, are from the pill.....personally, I hate having this, because I'm only 5'2" and weight on my short frame, just looks horrible!! :)) But I'm so happy that a friend recommenced this site - it really is great!!! Good Luck to you and if you want to add me, feel free to!!
  • jackniknak
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, with medication (levothyroxine) test results say my levels are back to normal. 13 months ago I made a lifestyle change and changed my diet and added excersise. I work at a top health resort and have the best resources at my fingertips. Have learned tons about health and nutrition. I started p90x last year and then supplemented my routine with insanity training. I trained for 2 mud runs last year and just finished 8 weeks of insanity. I also supplement my workouts through the year with yoga, strenghth traing and all kinds of cardio classes at my job. I get my measurements done and they are practically the same as 8 months ago and my weight had not budged? I have not gone down in clothing sizes? I do feel stronger, my insomnia is gone I have some energy back. Still get super tired and ge lots of migraines and my body has started to feel sore like it was my first workout again....feel like I'm goin backwards here. So I work at it super hard not sure why I never get an results
  • AKJ4
    AKJ4 Posts: 4
    Options
    Your body has to adjust to the meds. It may take some time but it can happen! The best thing I can tell you is to find a GOOD doctor (an endocrinologist is best!) that you're comfortable, one who is accessible and LISTENS to what you're feeling and sees you as a person, not just a bunch of lab work and T4 hormones. I had thyroid problems years ago and left them untreated for quite awhile (even ending in a trip to the ER!) because my dr. was AWFUL! Recently, the problem has returned and the doctor I am seeing is wonderful! He spent almost an hour telling me about how the thyroid functions and didn't let me leave till he was sure I understood things. Talk to your doc about your weight loss goals and have him (or her) help you.