Calorie count for outside activity?

Options
My son has joined mfp - the kid needs to *gain* weight (wish I had that problem!) He runs in track at school, and ran for 30 minutes today, but has no idea how many 'calories' that burned to enter into the mfp app on his phone. Where do you guys get calculations for that sort of exercise when you're not using machines that calculate it for you? We're new to smart phones, too, so I'm sure "there's an app for that", but I would like advice as to which one? Preferably a free one! :D

Replies

• lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    he just needs to select his speed (if unknown, work out the distance he ran in that 30 minutes and double it to get miles/km per hour) and enter it into the app. Easy peasy!
  • Scott15Fit
    Options
    Endomondo or Runtastic connect to MFP - perhaps try one of those first.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Running is fairly easy to predict. There are a number of online calculators but the average is about 100 calories per mile (slightly higher if you are heavier, a little lower if you are lighter).
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo Pro on my Smartphone but also have a Polar FT60 heartrate monitor to track my calories burned..... The Endo app will Sync with MFP..... Best of Luck...
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo Pro on my Smartphone but also have a Polar FT60 heartrate monitor to track my calories burned..... The Endo app will Sync with MFP..... Best of Luck...

Same here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • shantiwrites
    Options
    Thank you all! I'm going to try the free runtastic for now and see where that gets us. Kid is 18 year old guy, six feet tall and has only just recently broke 120 pounds. Wish I had that metabolism! I think I stress-eat over what he doesn't eat! Anyhow, thanks for the info. I'm tickled that he wants to use this ap to improve his diet and be healthier. Thanks again for the info.