Same old boring steamed vegetables

Options

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Roast them, puree them, grill them, sautee them, smoothie them, pickle them, dip them, salad them, slaw them, omelet them, frittata them... mmm veggies.

This. I love them in all their ways.
  • lohrilohr
    Options
    I have been roasting alot of my vegetables. A little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, pop in 400 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes and VOILA! Super tasty and healthy. My favorite has become brussel sprouts :)
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I just experiment with different seasonings and combinations. Sometimes you can really surprise yourself when you make a combination that seems crazy, but tastes sooooo good!
  • lohrilohr
    Options
    I agree with you in making them into a smoothie. I drink my veggies in the morning and my family thinks I am gross. I didn't even go out and purchase an expensive juicer...I use my old Hamilton Beach blender and throw everything in there I can think of-makes for a great "fast" food option and super nutritious.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I steam them then throw them in a pan with oil/spray oil, and some seasoning or some balsamic vinaigrette. I prefer "squishy" veggies so steaming gets them the consistency I want, then I fancy them up in a pan! My partner loooooves when I steam asparagus then throw it in a pan with kraft parm, black pepper, salt, and chili flakes or steamed zucchini, and bell pepper then cooked in a pan with balsamic vinaigrette!

I also like to make cauliflower mash, and roasted broccoli.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,634 Member
    Options
    Baked, or roasted, veggies are awesome! Basically, cut up the veggies, toss in olive oil and whatever seasonings you may likee (garlic and sea salt or something like Trader Joes 21 seasoning blend is great with most veggies and eggs). Spread them out in a single layer on a cookie sheet and put in the oven around 400 degrees. I'm sure if you google it, you can find the time limits, or you can watch them carefully. I've found broccoli gets an almost buttery flavor. Zuchinni and summer squash taste amazing (especially if addiing freshly chopped basil on once they're done), but don't last the best for leftovers. Same goes with them grilled. Green beans and asparagus also are good ones to roast. Same goes with winter veggies like root vegetables, just make sure to cut them in similar slices so they finish around the same. I tried this for Thanksgiving after getting some new to me veggies in my CSA box and made a medley of Chinese Sweet Potato, Carrots, Parsnips, and Delicata Squash tossed with olive oil to cook, then added some white balsamic vinegar when they came out. Yum!

I also second grilling as well. A great way to have artichokes is to cut them in half and get all the fuzzy stuff out, then brush with olive oil and add garlic. Let them sit for a bit, then grill them until ready. They're insanely delicious! We usually have them as appetizers when grilling. I have 3 artichokes from my CSA box and now I'm craving them grilled vs. steamed in a pot, though I love chokes any way, grilled is just the best I've tried yet. In general, I've stopped steaming vegetables and at least cook them with a little olive oil in a pan as the flavor comes out better that way, though I do like steamed as long as they don't get mushy.

Two sites I can think of off-hand with good veggie recipes are Eating Well and A Veggie Venture. The latter's a blog and she has two food blogs, and I'm pretty sure it's the one with recipes organized by type and you can click on for ideas.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love veggies, two favorites that I like to make are:

1) Southern/Soul Food style Collard or Kale Greens: with turkey bacon,and onions. I saute the bacon until crisp, then add onions, then I add 2 cups water and season with a little balsamic vinegar, garlic powder salt and pepper. Then I add the greens and cook about 45 min. It makes a big pot and the greens just taste better the next day!

2) Cabbage and Leeks: I take a whole head of green cabbage and chop finely. I first saute cleaned and chopped leeks in olive oil. Then add the cabbage. I season with Mrs. Dash or whatever you like. Add a little water and cook about 20 min. This too makes a big pot and tastes delicious!
  • aikasm
    aikasm Posts: 63
    Options
    try this creamy mashed cauliflower recipe, it's delicious and low cal!
    http://www.sproutandpea.com/2010/12/creamy-mashed-cauliflower/
  • ajcrain
    ajcrain Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Roast them! Broccoli , cauliflower, Brussels sprouts , anything! I even roasted cabbage the other night and it was delicious!
  • dirtmagnets
    dirtmagnets Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    We love roasted veggies. I chop up whatever we have on hand (last time was carrot, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, red onion, red and green pepper, and jicama), toss them in a tiny bit of olive oil, minced garlic, and crushed red pepper, spread them out on a baking sheet, and then throw them in a 425 degree oven for a few minutes, until the edges are starting to brown. I usually make at least one full baking sheet, sometimes two, because they'll store in the refrigerator/warm back up nicely for several days.
  • MariaHammer750
    MariaHammer750 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have been roasting alot of my vegetables. A little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, pop in 400 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes and VOILA! Super tasty and healthy. My favorite has become brussel sprouts :)

I do this with Asparagas. Going to try it with the brussel sprouts. Thanks for the idea!
  • carolone333
    Options
    I love Broccoli and Cauliflower but agree they were getting boring - UNTIl I put =added them to some of my "homemade" salad dressing: 1 TB fat free Ranch dressing with 2 TB Salsa and 1 drop Tabasco. Yummmm:smile:
  • penni214
    penni214 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    quarter sweet potatoes, toss with a little olive oil, top with dried cranberries and roast til tender
  • Blugrasgrl79
    Options
    Thansk, I think I'll try a few of your suggestions! Well wishes on your journey!
  • Blugrasgrl79
    Options
    Great suggestions, thanks!
  • DanaMcCrea
    DanaMcCrea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Grilled aspargus is awesome and sauteed cabbage is great too just put a touch of olive oil and salt and pepper and you are good to go. Not sure if you eat sweet potato(not really a veg) but it is great with cajun seasoning to switch things up a bit.

I thought I was the only one who ate sauteed cabbage!!! it is so yummy!
  • DanaMcCrea
    DanaMcCrea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A great veg recipe is to saute brussel sprout in chicken broth. Cut them in half and use the low calories and low sodium chicken broth. I just saute them for about 15 minutes and they are sooooo good!
  • chanahliora
    Options
    I like squeeze fresh lemons over my vegetables, especially good on broccoli
  • pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I roasted asparagus for the first time tonight using olive oil and a little salt. It was okay. Next time I think I'll add a little garlic.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Most veggies are really tasty baked, even caulli and broc. Spray with some olive oil, sprinkle with some seasoning and pop them in the oven.

I always steamed but got into baking them! So good! Some herbs and spices and baked carrots and zucchini!