Home Gym for Lifting Heavy! Need ideas!

Options
meeulk
meeulk Posts: 246 Member
I'm setting up a home gym in a small space in my garage. (key word is small... no room for a power rack) I have NROL4W and Starting Strength to follow. I have a tiny bit of experience with lifting but I hated my gym (er... PF= Smith machine)... so I ditched it.

What equipment do I need?

and.... GO!!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You sure you don't have room for something like a Rogue R-3 rack? It has a pretty small footprint.

An olympic bar is still 7 foot though.
  • meeulk
    Options
    Woah! Less than 3 feet deep... definitely a possibility... although $700. I'm absolutely getting an Olympic bar. I'll need to pull a car out of the garage, so my workout space will be bigger than equipment space. So, basically... all the big permanent things, like the rack, need to fit with the cars in there, but (for example) I will be able to pull a bench away from the wall when the car isn't in there.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    The rack has to be bolted. There are cheaper racks that don't, but they have feet on them which make them take up a LOT more floor space.
  • meeulk
    Options
    Thanks for the info!

What else would make a good addition to a garage gym? I need equipment ideas, y'all!
  • Wolverine13ft
    Wolverine13ft Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Do you have room outside, if you do rocks and logs give a good workout.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Even though you already semi ruled out power racks, it'd be the best and most versatile. Most are 3x3 or smaller. I nearly pulled the trigger on the rogue r3 but finally opted for the powertec pr11. There are lots of options at different price points.

A rack and Olympic weight set will get you far. A bench also helps...
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Also an adjustable dumbbell set is great for small spaces and very versatile.
  • Polymorphist
    Options
    I've read about some people using adjustable sawhorses in weight lifting forums, specifically as spotters. Some are rated to handle very heavy weight, just make sure they are stable so that they don't fall over easily.