SAHM struggling with weight

Options
Hi,

I am a stay at home mom. I was 50 lbs. overweight (obese) when I got pregnant. I lost all the pregnancy weight right away. However, I was breastfeeding and not loosing any additional weight, so when I weened my baby last month I gained 10 lbs. Then my husband lost 25 lbs. (partly due to resolving a health issue with surgery, partly due to dieting) and so his sexiness factor has gone up while mine has gone down. My fat clothes are starting to become too uncomfortable to wear. I broke the button on one of my two pairs of fat jeans. I also am a professional musician and my career has suffered because of my weight. I am starting to feel tired a lot and I know it's not just my toddler.

My goal is to gain strength and endurance while loosing body fat. Right now I am not aspiring to be super skinny, but my first goal is to move from obese to overweight. That alone will be at least 45 lbs.

Being a SAHM makes bad habits easy. I'm at home where the food is, and I can't exercise until my baby is in bed for the night. It's a vicious cycle. I'm worn out so I don't want to exercise, but I'm worn out because I don't exercise.

I believe my two biggest problems are: A. portion size and B. exercising consistently.

A friend and fellow musician told me that she has lost 45 lbs. so far by using this website/app.

This is my first day using the website but I was excited to see how easy it was for me to stay with in my allotted calories.

I am fortunate to have a very supportive husband. I am hoping through the community here I might find other SAHMs who face similar issues.

Replies

• Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM to an almost 3 year old boy. When I stopped working I had some issues with being around food all day. I'd like to lose 30-40 lbs (in addition to the 17 lbs I've already lost). My exericise tends to happen during nap time and in the morning on the weekends when my hubby is home. Feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • tppchef
    tppchef Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am not a stay at home mom, but I am self employed with three small business that I juggle. I log daily, and have taken on a very active lifestyle. I personally struggle with my weight stalling.
  • agrant85
    agrant85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm also a SAHM. I have two school aged kids, and then I have two toddlers (2 and 3) that are 10 months apart. You'd think I would be skinny from chasing them around all day. But I've been a couch potato and when they nap, I nap....until the past week. I just joined last Thursday and have already lost 9lbs! I also have issues with portion control and not exercising consistently. My husband is also very supportive of me...I'm just hoping to get him on board too. You can add me as a friend, and we can encourage each other!
  • Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM too!!! I have three kids and homeschool by youngest because of behavioral issues...since its spring, maybe take your baby for a walk...it's a great start...food around the house...throw it away and keep only healthy stuff...it's easier said than done, but now I've noticed if I have chips or cookies in the house I don't crave them nearly as much as in the beginning...takes a lot of patience and don't beat yourself up, we all slip, just got to take it a day at a time...feel free to add me and good luck!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Read this to start:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

use scoobie for a quick calculator of BMR and TDEE http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

and work from there. Read the forum, you'll learn a lot.

Do not eat below your BMR, net calories. Do not starve yourself with only 1200 calories. If you use the mfp exercise calculator eat back 65% of your exercise calories. Eat more fruits and vegetables, fresh salad. Cut down on soda.QUOTE:

Go to Befit channel on youtube. They have Jillian Michaels 30 DS shred, many bootcamp, yoga, etc
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit?feature=fvstc

For zumba, try this playlist
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/866590-fun-free-at-home-zumba-workout?hl=zumba+playlist

Go on cnet.com and download the Free YouTube Downloader v3.5.134.0

http://download.cnet.com/Free-YouTube-Downloader/3000-2071_4-75219434.html

Install it in your computer and then as soon as you find a video that you like use the program to download it ASAP in case it gets taken down.
  • Terpripken
    Options
    I am a SAHD and a more sedentary lifestyle coupled with unlimited access to food proved to be a brutal combination for me. I gained about 30 pounds in 6 months after already being pretty overweight. I just joined the site a few days ago, and even though I am a Dad, I still know what kind of issues you face. I have been walking briskly around the neighborhood with my kids in the stroller for some cardio, but need to find time to do something more intensive.

Good luck!
  • Blugrasgrl79
    Options
    I'm also a SAHM, logged onto this site about a year ago and then life happened. I just realized today that had I continued using this site I would have reached my goal but now or at least would have been well on my way! Starting today and moving forward, not looking back! Congrats to you as well adn I wish you well on your journey!
  • MeganKSchultz
    Options
    It's not spring in Omaha, NE! But we do have an elliptical machine.
  • YouGonnaEatThat
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom too. I have a 3 year old and a 7 month old. I hate eating in front of my husband so when he leaves, I eat! It does make habits easy. I am so exhausted too! Feel free to add me, anyone! (:
  • EAPTX
    EAPTX Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When my kids were young, I was a stay at home mom, too. I had a friend with little ones, too, and we'd just get them into a stroller (even two little ones per stroller) and take off walking. (The other benefit was they slept!) When it was too hot or too cold, we'd walk in the mall. She really kept me inspired. Back then, I did exercise videos when they napped, but now I would do the wii fit. I may be finding it more fun than most, but I never miss a day. I'll weigh in, then figure, what the heck, I might as well work out for a few minutes, which turns into a half hour and then an hour because I MUST get a better score than last time. Might be worth the investment if you are at all competitive.

I really wish I had been better about my eating back then, though, because all my kids developed cruddy eating habits that I recognize. Now they're struggling, too. :-( Maybe thinking about what your kids see you do will help? But I'm pretty sure no one could have told me back then.
  • dayner13
    dayner13 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i am a SAHM too!! my baby is 5 months old and she is my first and only baby. i have struggles with my weight for awhile now and when i got pregnant it didn't take long for the weight to pile on. of course, it didn't help that one of my cravings was mcdonalds french fries. :)

i just joined today so hopefully this will be the end of looking for a way to lose the weight. i will be logging on daily so if anyone wants to add me for motivation or to motivate me that would be great!!

dana
  • justtodayjen333
    justtodayjen333 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I stay home with my kiddos--a three year old and two school aged. MFP is a great place to be--great support! Three years ago, we joined a gym, and it has been the best investment we have made. I love that my little guy can play while I work out AND get some alone time. It's a win win! Glad you are here!:)
  • aleesh_
    aleesh_ Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm also a SAHM, and I've had eating problems my whole life. If it was there I had to eat it! I just don't keep the foods I can't put away, like potato chips, in the house. If I neeeeeed it I'll buy the 99 cent bags from the gas station. And I work out when my 18 month old is sleeping. Losing weight is never easy but remember you're doing it to be healthy for your children :)

Also since it's "our job" to keep a clean house (-_-), you can make a workout out of it.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM as well. I'm also a stress eater, a meal skipper and a late night snacker. I'm working on the meal skipping thing right now; breakfast is getting better because I can just grab something when Little Man is eating his. It still isn't much, a piece of toast or fruit, but it's a start. Lunch is still a nightmare for me... I just never know what to make. Usually by the time he gets up from his nap and we fight over what he's going to eat, I have written off any plans of making myself something. To make matters worse, Little Man is on a pb&j kick. The smell of it just makes me want to throw up... yuck!

My husband & I were on a roll in the summer & fall: we were meal planning; we cut pop and chips; and we were going to the gym 3-5 times a week. Then holidays happened and then more life stuff happened... and now we are getting ourselves back on track! Like another poster mentioned, our gym also has child care and we love the girls who run it. As soon as we turn down the hill toward the gym Little Man starts yelling "yay! yay! YAY!". He knows that he is either going to play in the playroom or we are taking him swimming. :) If you are considering joining a gym, and are in the position to do so, I highly recommend it. Find one with child care and suddenly going to the gym doubles as 'me time' for a busy mom/dad! Sometimes that's is enough to get your butt out the door on the rough days!
  • mcwhit
    mcwhit Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I stay home with my son as well and freelance on the side. The stress sometimes leads to eating things I shouldn't..... I've been exercising my fiffs off, but then overeating (sweets and processed foods) and undoing all the good I've done at the gym.

I've not been logging my food on MFP lately but am starting again on Monday. (I'm on vacation this weekend.)

I'll add you. Would love to GET SERIOUS about the food part of my healthy lifestyle!
  • PiperGabrielle
    PiperGabrielle Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have no children, so I don't know exactly what you are going through. But I go on walks in my neighborhood whenever I can. In doing so, I see lots of women walking with their babies in strollers. It would be a good idea to include your baby in your exercise routine, especially when the weather warms up. You will both get some fresh air. When your child gets older, walk to the park. Including children in routine exercise is a great way to break the cycle of obesity! :) Much luck to you!