Atkins induction

I'm looking to restart induction. I want to do it clean and by the book. Anyone else?

(I don't want to start a debate on whether or not someone thinks Atkins is an appropriate diet, please save those comments for another thread, thanks!)

Replies

• ash_83
    ash_83 Posts: 2 Member
    I just bought the book yesterday and I am already half through it... its super interesting and I am gaining a whole nother perspective on how to eat and why. I plan to start the Induction phase this week. I am having a hard time looking at the carbs portion of the nutritional value when shopping and less on fat and calories. I am so used to do low fat and low cal. Good luck bluebird!
  • joyesq135
    joyesq135 Posts: 7 Member
    Yep. I'm in! I have been doing it again for about a week.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Yep. I'm in! I have been doing it again for about a week.
    I have never tried it but have always wanted to. I will research this tonight and do it with you. Are we starting tomorrow?
  • Mcharlem
    Mcharlem Posts: 1
    I started the Atkins induction phase yesterday. So far, it's been pretty easy for me, but it's spring break week for me, so the challenge will hit me, I'm sure, when I return to work.
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Hi everyone
    Glad I found you all cuz I was really thinking of trying this again. The support will be good and I know I'll need it, have my meat and cheese ready to begin induction tomorrow! How long to you all induction and how many daily carbs are you allowing yourselves. I think I remember no more than 20 but I haven't read any of the latest info yet! Good luck to us all!
  • I didn't mean to start a thread then disappear, sorry about that! I had school all weak. Now that it's spring break I plan to start tomorrow. It's still 20 carbs and most of them are supposed to come from veggies. Usually induction goes for two weeks but some people stay on it longer if they feel they aren't ready to add carby foods back in!

The first few days for me are the hardest, I get the "induction flu"
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    I started Induction last Friday, going to stay on for another week or so. It's between 20-25g net carbs isn't it? I'm having a really difficult time eating enough calories this time. I even ate a tsp of coconut oil today to bring them up. Does anyone have some higher calorie induction foods they wish to share the recipe or idea? I eat a ton of omelettes which are great but it's hard to eat calories at breakfast and lunch. I'm not really hungry for them but I wouldn't mind eating about 1600 calories/day. Especially on my exercise days.
  • I am having more trouble making the carbs , I do eat creamcheese and is high calorie and beef and regular cheese and the eggs with butter instead of pam , you can friend me and check my diary tomorrow will be my 14 day and I feel super good I might continue for one more week ,
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    It's a little quiet nowadays but there is a low carb forum: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/273-la-vida-low-carb I keep my net carbs to under 30-40g. It's been a lot slower for me now since I've quit smoking than it was before. But I'm trying my best anyways!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Why not just learn how to eat carbs to your advantage as opposed to cutting out a complete macronutrient....
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Hi Everyone
    day 2 of induction and so far so good - even took a 20 min walk during lunch and it's been a really long time since i felt like doing that - YAY me!
    small steak and broccoli florets for dinner and of course plan for tomorrow. I also found some low (good ) carb bread that will work once i get to add more healthy carbs back in. I have to say it's nice to feel differently after cutting out the sugar and bread. im sure the kinds of food choices will continue to change and hopefully improve but for a start this feel good and like something i can stick to.
    I plan to get to the grocer on the way home and pick up some:
    green onion, celery, red peppers, portabellas, romaine and spinach to use for snacks and add ins and my beloved tarragon! tart cheese like a gouda and some creamy swiss. Plan on making some tuna salad and some chicken salad (with a little fresh lemon) to have on hand -on cuke slices rather than crackers.

i can't believe i'm motivated again - i think i may do a turbo jam dvd when i get home!

if i dreaming don't wake me - don't wake me!

To the poster who just quit smoking - good for you for doing something to help save your life!! Much respect!!

Here's to all of us making changes for the better :drinker: - btw - this is water in my cup!

make it a great day
    jj
  • highervibes
    Why not just learn how to eat carbs to your advantage as opposed to cutting out a complete macronutrient....

That's exactly what we're doing LOL. I use the carbs I get from fruits and veggies to my advantage. Why are people so hangry just because others don't want to eat garbage "in moderation"? Just because we're not all on the same path, it doesn't mean we need your help to find our way. Why are you in this thread?
  • Been reading a lot on the Atkins and Im going to start this week. I exercise regularly and eat a healthy balanced diet so I need to try something. I like that the plan encourages exercise. Nervous about katosis because I've read about some complications, but I'm healthy and like I said need to try something different. I will miss eating fruit though.
  • highervibes
    Been reading a lot on the Atkins and Im going to start this week. I exercise regularly and eat a healthy balanced diet so I need to try something. I like that the plan encourages exercise. Nervous about katosis because I've read about some complications, but I'm healthy and like I said need to try something different. I will miss eating fruit though.

You will be able to eat it after week 2! I eat raspberries, strawberries, blueberries (any berry really! lol)

125g plain yogurt + 3TBSP ground toasted flax + 1oz raspberries or blueberries and 1 package of Truvia for sweetener. BEST. BREAKFAST. EVER.

Atkins is low carb, but you can still enjoy many healthy foods, including fruit!