Body Fat

Options
What is the most accurate way to find out what your body fat % actually is?

Replies

• N4monsters
    N4monsters Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Following because I'd really like to know!!
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The gold standard used to be hydrostatic weighing (under water), but there is a margin of error with that if you are fearful of water, or are unable to hold, expel air well. Plus, finding a faclity that does it is difficult unless you're near a University or a Hospital that provides that service. There is also the "body pod" which measures the displaced air and this works (if you can find a place that does it...but it's usually expensive) and the results can be wrong if the person being measured doesn't wear very tight clothing and a tight scull cap since bushy hair can alter the results.

The electric impedence devices (scales, hand held instruments) are notoriously inaccurate. They will give you a general idea which direction to BF is headed (up or down) as long as you always measure or weigh under the same conditions. Hydration levels can change the results drastically. (For those who don't believe me, weigh yourself on your scale with BF measurement capability in the morning, right after you pee, then drink a glass or two of water and re-weigh. Note the difference.)

A personal trainer who is knowledgable and well practiced with calipers is your best bet. They also have to be aware of the differences in BF with age AND calipers are not useful when measuring morbidly obese individuals.

The best measuring device that can be used by anyone is a tape measurer. Well, that and a favorite article of clothing that you know looks good and makes you fee awesome!:wink:
  • Hokiegal78
    Options
    You can use a machine (not sure what it's called) but you hold onto it with your hand and it measures after you put in some info about yourself. The most accurate and what I've used is the calipers. They pinch certain areas on your body and you measure that way. I've been told that is most accurate.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Honestly, before/after pictures. Here is a picture to guestimate where you're at

http://livelifeactive.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/bfpercentage.jpg

Hydrostatic weighing is the most accurate, but that's pretty unpractical. Plus I've read that even those are only accurate to within 1-3%

You are both are very lean so you could use a caliper, but most females are well over 25% and using a caliper becomes pretty inaccurate for them.

I would probably just stick to how you look in the mirror and don't worry about a percentage.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    DEXA scan. Expensive but the only truly accurate method.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I believe that it's hard get a very efficient Body fat reading.

I'm suggesting to use combination of scale reading with body fat analyzer, caliper and visual check. then use your best judgement to come out with the correct reading.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    DEXA scan. Expensive but the only truly accurate method.
    This. A DEXA scan will run $150-$200.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Pick one method and be consistent. Sometimes precision is better than accuracy. Especially with $150-200 on the line...
  • kirzz92
    kirzz92 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The most affordable, available and accurate (in terms of what I just mentioned) The callipers :)
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Eyeballs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It works for me.
  • rainavsfood
    rainavsfood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! ????