Advocare?

Options
Has anyone attempted Advocare? If so, was it helpful? What were the pros and cons?

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Good evening. Since you haven't had any responses, I looked them up on the search engines. Apparently, according to the "wikipedia", they are a pyramid-style multi-level marketing company that sells supplements which are potentially unsafe. Most of the great success stories I've seen here are the result of a reasonable caloric deficit and exercise. I haven't seen anyone, out of thousands, that have said that Advocare is related to their success. I wish you all the best.
    With love,
    Burt
  • erica62784
    Options
    I am in love with AdvoCare! Their shakes are AMAZING! I use them and have since became a distributor for the company. I do not try to make a buck off of ppl from it i just do it for the amazing discounts that I get. My husband and I have used their products on and off for about a year now. I love their shakes b/c they are the only ones that I can find that are truly soy free and being that I have hypothyroidism I can't have soy products. Im not going to tell you that taking AdvoCare is going to make you lose a ton of weight but it is a great source of protein on the go and they do also have great supplements such as catylyst which helps repair muscles after you work out so you don't get all of the aches and painds that one might get from working out. Also, they have super yummy drinks called spark. They come in all kinds of flavors and it keeps the soda away. If you are looking for a quick fix this isn't it but if you are looking for a great source of protein and great supplements by all means AdvoCare is the way to go.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Ah, a glowing review from someone who sells it. Such unbiased information! :huh:

I've only ever heard that it's overpriced and overrated. Save your money for good, healthy food.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I am in love with AdvoCare! Their shakes are AMAZING! I use them and have since became a distributor for the company. I do not try to make a buck off of ppl from it i just do it for the amazing discounts that I get. My husband and I have used their products on and off for about a year now. I love their shakes b/c they are the only ones that I can find that are truly soy free and being that I have hypothyroidism I can't have soy products. Im not going to tell you that taking AdvoCare is going to make you lose a ton of weight but it is a great source of protein on the go and they do also have great supplements such as catylyst which helps repair muscles after you work out so you don't get all of the aches and painds that one might get from working out. Also, they have super yummy drinks called spark. They come in all kinds of flavors and it keeps the soda away. If you are looking for a quick fix this isn't it but if you are looking for a great source of protein and great supplements by all means AdvoCare is the way to go.

you should probably avoid: high-fiber foods, iron and calcium supplements, and antacids that contain aluminum or magnesium those all can prevent your synthetic hormones from absorbing correctly too.

Kool-aid is not your friend.. You should probably stop drinking it.

I went and checked the ingredients in your shake:

Sodium, whey protein concentrate, calcium caseinate, milk protein concentrate, "branched-chain amino acids [L-leucine, L-isoleucine, L-valine]", fructose, natural and artificial flavors, calcium phosphate, magnesium oxide, ascorbic acid, titanium dioxide, sucralose, pyridoxine hydrochloride, calcium pantothenate, niacin, acesulfame potassium, manganese sulfate, papain, bromelain, thiamine hydrochloride, riboflavin, biotin, cyanocobalamin.

( no thanks- I'll take isolate over concentrate anyday, and uh oh.. did I see magnesium in that list too?
  • JackieTL27
    JackieTL27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your advise. I use to be really bad with the mountain dew, and tried substituting Kool-Aid as a replacement trying to stay away from that now. Thank you all again.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Advocare is the reason that one year ago - I made the decision to lose weight the right way - eat less and exercise more!! I had three "friends" who were into the pyramid thing of selling Advocare. They convinced others to pay too much money for cleanses, drinks, pills etc. After a month of this nonsense and spending money - one lost 7 lbs and was elated!! I was shocked. So... I decided at that moment to show them and I did!! I did not have to pay any money for nonsense except for the new clothes from losing a lot of weight!! I have been maintaining and they continue to spend $$ and remain the same.
  • coastie_wife07
    Options
    I know 2 guys at my gym that sell it.

They love it and since Drew Brees uses it they believe it is totally healthy.

Personally, I'm not going to waste my money on it.

I waste my money on protein powder in bulk from the wholesale club and protein bars.

Sometimes I buy Amino Energy as well.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Ah, a glowing review from someone who sells it. Such unbiased information! :huh:

I've only ever heard that it's overpriced and overrated. Save your money for good, healthy food.

I'm pleased she disclosed her affiliation, and I believe it was a fairly reasonable contribution, in that she acknowledged her affiliation immediately and explicitly disclaimed that their products cause weight loss. We're all a little hostile toward firms or individuals that attempt to take advantage of people with false claims and pseudoscience, but I think Erica here doesn't merit the sort of hostility which might be better reserved for diet pills, anorexia, and shakeology.
    With love,
    Burt
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options

I'm pleased she disclosed her affiliation, and I believe it was a fairly reasonable contribution, in that she acknowledged her affiliation immediately and explicitly disclaimed that their products cause weight loss. We're all a little hostile toward firms or individuals that attempt to take advantage of people with false claims and pseudoscience, but I think Erica here doesn't merit the sort of hostility which might be better reserved for diet pills, anorexia, and shakeology.
    With love,
    Burt

I was hostile? :laugh:
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sucralose is in the shakes?? Wow. That's a shame. My friend lost weight on it, as did her sister. I did a cleanse through Usana (not affiliated) back in the fall to get my body reset and kick my sugar cravings. It was wonderful. And they didn't use sucralose in their bars/shakes...only natural fructose. I've thought about doing another cleanse at some point and was considering Advocare since it's supposed to be good. It also costs less than Usana's. But the sucralose is a deal breaker for me.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories is a much more cost effective way to lose weight, I hear.
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Oh Advocare..
    I was working at a hospital where on of my fellow nurses lost a considerable amount of weight, and she look gorgeous! Long story short: She was on Advocare. Also a Distributor, and made much money signing us fellow nurses up under her.
    But, the kicker was, when she began working with us, she was pregnant, so we never saw her at her "normal" weight.

So, after she had the baby, OF COURSE she was dropping weight, (Very MOTIVATED INDIVIDUAL), but it just looked to us like she was losing it all from Advocare.

My personal experience is that it was a lot of supplement taking, with a false sense of energy. I lost about 10 pounds in the first 2 months, but I was also doing a lot of "stair walking" during my breaks. I worked on the 5th floor of the hospital, so I walked up at the beginning of my shift, and on breaks, I recruited some friends to stair climb to the top, (11th floor) during breaks. I think that extra exercise burned the most cals, as we were using large muscles to do the exercise.

Basically, I quit even being a rep after 6 months, and never went back. Wasn't worth the cash for me.

Supplements are MEANT to SUPPLY the nutrients you do not receive from eating, NOT to REPLACE them.