When to weigh????

Options
Is there a correct time to weigh yourself while trying to lose weight? I have been weighing myself in the mornings before work because I work at a golf course and in the ladies locker room there is a real scale (one you'd fine in a doctors office) that I have been weighing myself with before work. I have noticed I've been losing weight pretty fast these past few weeks but if I weigh myself in the evening I weigh 2-3 pounds more. Am I cheating by using my morning weight?

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Nope! You weigh less in the morning because you haven't eaten or drunk anything. When you weigh at night you have to take all the food and beverages you've had into consideration. I weigh first thing in the morning, after I use the restroom, and with NO clothes; best way to minimize all the variables and keep it consistent. Good luck!
  • MakeupbyMissVee
    Options
    No your not cheating. You should always weigh yourself in the mornings after you go pee and have had nothing to drink or eat. I think that is just about as close to your "true" weight as anyone can get. The reason why you seem to weigh more in the evenings is because throughout the day our bodies retain water, whether it be from the foods we are eating, the heat we are out in, etc. So weighing yourself in the moring is the right choice.
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    No, there is no "correct' time to weigh yourself. I'm sure most people will say they do it first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. At point you've had no water or food for a period of time and you are probably closest to an accurate weight then at any other time of the day. Of course you weigh more in the afternoons/evenings because you've eaten and hopefully been drinking tons of water all day.

So bottom line is: pick a time and stick with it.

Jessica
  • TheMotherAwesome
    TheMotherAwesome Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You're not cheating, you're doing it right! I do it first thing in the morning, right after I pee and when I'm nakey. That's supposed to be as close to your true weight as you can get. You're doing just fine!
  • victorianjewel
    Options
    IMO - It's better to weigh yourself at a consistent time. For me, that is once a week, first thing in the morning, after I empty my bladder, nekkid. I think no matter what time you do it at, consistency is the key. Good luck!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to do it at the same time consistently. Don't go back and forth between morning and evening or there will be quite a bit of fluctuation. Also, be sure you're not basing your whole success rate around what the scale says - lots of factors to get the whole picture! :)
  • anderson8480
    Options
    I think the best time to weigh is in the morning... like everyone said... but the key is to be consistant... if you start weighing in the morning with no clothes on, that's how you should record your official weight.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning after you wake and have used the bathroom....also best to do it if you are naked, to get a more accurate reading....but if you have on clothes, keep the type of clothes consistent for each weigh in
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The best time is in the morning after you pee and if not *nekkid* then pretty darn close to it! I was told to do it every day while you are trying to lose weight and once a week when you are maintaining, but many have a different opinion about that......However- do what works for YOU!:smile:
  • AngelDeLaNoche
    Options
    lilchino4af got it right "minimize all the variables and keep it consistent". What you need to do is establish a pattern that is as consistent as possible with the least number of variables as possible. For most people this is first thing in the morning because that is when they are just ending a long period of rest, haven't had any new food or drink, have just finished purging their bodies of waste, etc. For those that work nights, whenever they get up would probably be best.
  • gcgrl788
    gcgrl788 Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I'll keep up with my morning weigh-ins :happy:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    There is no right or wrong way...just certain times that are more accurate - before you've eaten, after you've gone to the bathroom, with as minimal of clothes as possible. So, that translates basically to first thing in the morning. If you weigh after you exercise, your body is holding water, if you eat anytime during the day after you've eaten, your body is holding onto something (food, waste, water).
  • Buppie
    Buppie Posts: 43
    Options
    I don't own a scale, and I plan to keep it that way. But, I do use a scale at work, so I have it on my calendar to weigh every week (Thursday at 2:30 with no shoes). I did jump ahead and weigh myself today, but I want to wait until my weekly time to weigh-in and post, just for consistancy-sake. I think the main goal is pick a day/time and stick to it as much as possible.