guidelines for a good healthy diet ? want to loose 10 lbs

Options
Does anyone have any pointers or guidelines to a healthy eating lifestyle? I want to loose 10lbs in a healthy way. I can't seem to find any literature to help either. I am 5"4 and currently 117 I hope to reach 110 and keep it off to make me feel better about myself. I do not want to crash diet. What works best?

Any advice?

Replies

• stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am really surprised at your comment that you can't find any literature to help...? A basic search on the internet or at your local bookstore would yield more than you could read in a year! That either means that you are overwhelmed and just want someone to tell you what to do, or you don't want to do the work and just want someone to tell you what to do. Either way, I suggest going to a nutritionist or trainer to give you a detailed menu plan. I can't give you blanket advice that will work for you - you have to study your own body and find out what works. I would start with reading all the posts on this website.

Best of luck to you.
  • Melizabeth84
    Melizabeth84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    More like overwhelmed (that's why I asked to see what actually works) I don't believe diets work. I keep reading things about new diets omit this out of your daily food intake or that or adding this or that. I wanted others to give me some feed back on what worked for them or a suggestion of an actual book worth purchasing. I have looked all over amazon.... nothing strikes me to what I want. I read the "glance inside the book and most books are following a certain diet. Like atkins, no carb, no sugars ( not what I am looking for. Thank you as to you :)
    Hi,

I am really surprised at your comment that you can't find any literature to help...? A basic search on the internet or at your local bookstore would yield more than you could read in a year! That either means that you are overwhelmed and just want someone to tell you what to do, or you don't want to do the work and just want someone to tell you what to do. Either way, I suggest going to a nutritionist or trainer to give you a detailed menu plan. I can't give you blanket advice that will work for you - you have to study your own body and find out what works. I would start with reading all the posts on this website.

Best of luck to you.
  • SarahSmiles2004
    SarahSmiles2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You are 5'4" and want to weigh 110? That seems a bit much. Even for my height at 2 inches shorter, my minimum weight according to charts, is 110 lbs. There's no way yours should be. Sounds to me you just want really be toned up and want to be healthy in general.

There's no reason to try to fit your body in a mod it shouldn't be.

1. How old are you?
    2. What is your bone structure, small frame, medium, large?
    3. How active are you? Sedentary? Active? Athletic?
    4. Do you eat well? fruits, veggies, lean proteins and complex whole grain carbs?
    5. Are you eating enough protein?
    6. Are you drinking enough water?

Even looking at charts for your height and for a female you shouldn't weigh 110 lbs.

I'm technically "overweight" according to the BMI charts but they dont' go by a body fat perccentage either. I focus on that. My body fat percentage is low and my muscle mass is high so I weigh more but I don't look like I do.

There are a few factors and questions to ask yourself.

Why do you want to lose 7lbs that seemingly you don't need to at 5'4" if you were 4'9" Ok, I can see that - MAYBE - the thing is so many people focus on a number on a scale when that cannot and will not give you an accurate look at your overall health.

How do you eat, workout, and sleep? Do your clothes fit? What size are you wearing? I wear a 5/6 and am 5'2" and weigh 140lbs. So yeah, sooo not even close to fat.

You can't base life on a number on the scale. Message me if you have questions.
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Try Paleo, Im doing it and ive lost 6lbs so far and its fat not muscle that im losing
  • Melizabeth84
    Options
    I dont base it on the scale I base it on how I feel.... I carry my weight in my hips and I hate it and I am very self concise of it :( Its the hardest place for me to lose....
    You are 5'4" and want to weigh 110? That seems a bit much. Even for my height at 2 inches shorter, my minimum weight according to charts, is 110 lbs. There's no way yours should be. Sounds to me you just want really be toned up and want to be healthy in general.

There's no reason to try to fit your body in a mod it shouldn't be.

1. How old are you?
    2. What is your bone structure, small frame, medium, large?
    3. How active are you? Sedentary? Active? Athletic?
    4. Do you eat well? fruits, veggies, lean proteins and complex whole grain carbs?
    5. Are you eating enough protein?
    6. Are you drinking enough water?

Even looking at charts for your height and for a female you shouldn't weigh 110 lbs.

I'm technically "overweight" according to the BMI charts but they dont' go by a body fat perccentage either. I focus on that. My body fat percentage is low and my muscle mass is high so I weigh more but I don't look like I do.

There are a few factors and questions to ask yourself.

Why do you want to lose 7lbs that seemingly you don't need to at 5'4" if you were 4'9" Ok, I can see that - MAYBE - the thing is so many people focus on a number on a scale when that cannot and will not give you an accurate look at your overall health.

How do you eat, workout, and sleep? Do your clothes fit? What size are you wearing? I wear a 5/6 and am 5'2" and weigh 140lbs. So yeah, sooo not even close to fat.

You can't base life on a number on the scale. Message me if you have questions.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    I dont base it on the scale I base it on how I feel.... I carry my weight in my hips and I hate it and I am very self concise of it :( Its the hardest place for me to lose....

Do you carry your weight there, or do you just have wide hips/pear shape? Unfortunately, if you have wideset hips no amount of weight loss will fix that. You may want to just come to terms with that.

I carry my weight in an exagerated hourglass. Now, I am currently about 25 over my GW, but even once I'm there I will have a huge rack and wideset child-bearing hips. I've come to terms with the fact that no matter what, I'm going to be a curvy girl.
  • SarahSmiles2004
    Options
    Ok, so work on muscle building exercises. Full body and focus on parts on different days.

You can do upper one day and lower another. Most people reccomend weight training at least 2-3x a week. That will help sculpt muscles and burn fat as well as doing consistent cardio. The combination of cardio and weight training will help you get what you are looking for. Don't worry so much about the number on the scale.

Trying to force your body into a weight that it may or may not be able to reach is not healthy. Of course I don't know your frame size or age so I can't base anything on the charts given for BMI and what your weight range should be. I just know at 5'2" I should be between 110 and 135.

So take that into consideration. Don't fret too much. It's going to take work and time. I finally am to a point after a year of working my butt off that I have the body and shape that I was looking for.

Not sure how you like to get cardio, pretty much anything you enjoy, baseball, zumba, dance classes, kickboxing, running, biking, swimming - find something you enjoy. Me, I run. I love it. But not for everyone.

Then find a resource that has weight lifting exercises you can string together for a 30-60 min routine. Make sure you do all parts in the week. Upper, lower, abs. I like to do abs every other day or whenever I weight train.

Mens health - yes men's health - has some really really great resources on exercises. I like their men's health exercise bible. Gives you just about every move you can possibly do with weights and body weight.

Can also pick up dvd's if that's your thing. Denise Austin is good for just about any of her workouts - just make sure you're challenging yourself with the weights. if you do 8 reps and it's super easy and you don't feel a good burn, up your weigh 2-5 lbs.

Also, lifting heavy will NOT make you a bulky body builder woman. Trust me, I lift 15/20 lb dumbells for biceps and triceps and I am far from She-Ra status.

Happy lifting and cardio :)
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    More like overwhelmed (that's why I asked to see what actually works) I don't believe diets work. I keep reading things about new diets omit this out of your daily food intake or that or adding this or that. I wanted others to give me some feed back on what worked for them or a suggestion of an actual book worth purchasing. I have looked all over amazon.... nothing strikes me to what I want. I read the "glance inside the book and most books are following a certain diet. Like atkins, no carb, no sugars ( not what I am looking for. Thank you as to you :)
    Hi,

Best of luck to you.

OK that makes sense, sorry to question you. You are quite low in weight as it is, so you may find it tough. A lot of people will tell you it's just calories in calories out, but I personally have better success when I am keeping my carb intake lower than my protein intake. I am not talking about extreme like Atkins, I mean more balanced like the Zone or South Beach.
    Different people's bodies react differently to various foods, (like oatmeal for breakfast makes me ravenous all day, others say it fills them up "shrug") so I am just encouraging you to play with your macronutrient ratios a bit to see if that changes things for you. Other posters had good advice too.
    I do have two books I feel are with purchasing: Wendy Chant "Crack the fat loss code", and " the 17 Day diet" - the latter gets a bad rap because it has "diet" in the title, but really both of these educated me about carbs vs protein and how they make a difference to your body composition, energy levels etc.

Best of luck! And if you have success with something, come back and share!
  • SarahSmiles2004
    Options
    [/quote]

OK that makes sense, sorry to question you. You are quite low in weight as it is, so you may find it tough. A lot of people will tell you it's just calories in calories out, but I personally have better success when I am keeping my carb intake lower than my protein intake. I am not talking about extreme like Atkins, I mean more balanced like the Zone or South Beach.
    Different people's bodies react differently to various foods, (like oatmeal for breakfast makes me ravenous all day, others say it fills them up "shrug") so I am just encouraging you to play with your macronutrient ratios a bit to see if that changes things for you. Other posters had good advice too.
    I do have two books I feel are with purchasing: Wendy Chant "Crack the fat loss code", and " the 17 Day diet" - the latter gets a bad rap because it has "diet" in the title, but really both of these educated me about carbs vs protein and how they make a difference to your body composition, energy levels etc.

Best of luck! And if you have success with something, come back and share!
    [/quote]

^^ She is right, play with your macros too. For Stpahnj it works to watch carbs. Me, I'm an eat eveyrthing in moderation. I limit my sugar a bit (not natural - can't take my fruit from me) and try not to eat anything too processed like pacakaged foods.

You do have to play around a little and find what works for your body nutrition wise, no two people are the same - that's why a lot of "diets" fail. Too restrictive, not applicable to all.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any pointers or guidelines to a healthy eating lifestyle? I want to loose 10lbs in a healthy way. I can't seem to find any literature to help either. I am 5"4 and currently 117 I hope to reach 110 and keep it off to make me feel better about myself. I do not want to crash diet. What works best?

Any advice?

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You are 5'4" and want to weigh 110? That seems a bit much.

This. You sound like you are at a perfectly ideal weight. If you are unhappy with the way you look, I suggest lifting heavy weights (you will NOT get bulky, I promise) to tone and lift your muscles, but a lower number on the scale is not the answer.
  • Charlixoxo
    Charlixoxo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have recently lost 9 pounds in just under 2 months, and I have tried all the different crash diets- Atkins, soup diet, lemon diet, 500 calorie diet! And they are just no good, I am so impatient but it really does pay off to just think of it as a lifestyle change rather than a 'diet'. These are the guidelines I stick to:

- I eat 1200 - 1500 calories a day
    - Cut down (not cut out!) carbs, especially bread!
    - drink plenty of water
    -when you are hungry try and stick to fruit or a healthy yoghurt, or something like ryvita thins (only 31 cals per one!)
    - try to exercise daily, even if its just a short walk!

It's simple really, it took me ages to figure out the best way to lose it and its best to keep it easy instead of like the Atkins trying to stick to a certain type of foods, keep it varied so you're not depriving yourself!

And make sure you treat yourself once in a while, remember its a lifestyle change and if you don't treat yourself you will end up going crazy and end up binging!

Good luck! Xoxo
  • Melizabeth84
    Options
    Thanks for the great detailed map it cleared up a lot of confusion for me however I can not figure out the settings on this app to edit my personal detailed fitness goals?
  • matthewcorb
    Options
    What works best(Other than dieting) is exercise. Workouts help you stay in shape and contracting its first idea, it gives you more energy.

Here is something you can try:

http://cooklikeacaveman.com/paleo-cookbook-review/

If you're planning to go on a diet, you always have to check what you take into your body and then pair it with a healthy workout routine.