Weighing and high-sodium intake?

Options
Tomorrow is my weekly weigh day, but I've consumed a lot of sodium in my diet today. Well over the 2500 goal MFP has set for me.
Is this going to affect the scale in the morning?
I'm wondering if I should wait maybe a day or two so I don't get discouraged.

Thanks!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Of course. Why not weigh in? It's a natural part of life. Water retention causes daily fluctuation in weight. It's life. Nothing to get upset about. I go up or down 3lbs on any given day. No big deal.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    sodium/msg make me swell like a balloon, my rings barely fit after eating something high sodium like chinese takeout and i see about a pound or two on the scale for 2-3 days after....i'm not sure if youre as sensitive as me but look for swelling in your fingers to see if you've retained water
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I would probably be up a pound or two from the excess sodium. But I'm also fairly sensitive to it.

And I'd still weigh in. Even though you know it might be up, don't let it discourage you because you know the likely cause of the increase. And when you look back through your MFP data, you'll see the weight increase in conjunction with the sodium and know the influence.

For me, skipping a weigh-in feels almost like not logging something because you know it will put you over for the day. It's all about honestly and accountability. Just weigh yourself, log it, keep drinking plenty of water and eating in your normal, healthy, way, and you'll see the reward on the scale again next week. Fluctuations from our bodies and what we eat are normal and shouldn't be avoided, they should be taken as part of learning how to manage this long term. :)
  • carmgo
    carmgo Posts: 6
    Options
    Ditto. I found when I weigh in from a bad week I learn from it and work on improving the next week.
  • jemanji
    jemanji Posts: 8
    Options
    Basic reason for weighing yourself is ... what? Motivation. ... you're going to continue your fitness plan until you're where you want to be, right? Every weighing before then is simply an attempt to motivate yourself :- )

One fine day, I decided to weigh myself when I felt like it ... every day, every 4th day, just whenever ... since then the whole scale thing has been much more pleasant, and it's not like my weight loss path has changed as a result of sporadic weighing...

I'd do whatever kept you rockin' your fitness plan...