Is losing 7 pounds quickly normal?

Options
Hey Everyone!

I started better eating habits last Monday, so wow it's been a week! And I've been exercising with Jillian Michaels on her 30 Day Shred DVD, which is total killer and awesome!

Here's my question, I weighed myself early in the morning last week then weighed myself this morning even after I had eaten breakfast and it still showed I lost 7 pounds!! Is that normal or is my scale completely off!? I checked to make sure it was balanced right and it was. Was it just water weight, a fluke or a miracle?!!?

Thanks!
:D caitlin

Replies

• maimden
    maimden Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Since 3,500 calories = 1 lb of fat.. my guess is either you lost a lot of muscle (which is bad) or you lost a lot of water weight, which is most likely. Have you decreased your salt/sugar intake and increased your water intake? This is most likely the cause..
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I did the samething when I started here. Almost 20lbs off the first 2 weeks. My doctor said it was normal since I no longer was eating 4000-5000g of sodium a day and was drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day. She said it was stored water from all the sodium I was eating and that it would slow down. It did, and now it's 1-2lbs per week.
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    Its probably just the water weight. I have seen a lot of people loose a lot the first couple weeks. good job! ;)
  • austinusn
    austinusn Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi Caitlin -- also agree, it was most likely the water weight as it is physically impossible to burn off that much fat in one week. I personally have gained/lost 3-4 pounds in one day before but it does stabilize and become a normal 1-2 pounds a week.

Great job though-- keep up the good work!!
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    i read its 'water weight'. I lost 9 lbs my first week of WW this time last year :)