why am i so hungry?

Options
i lost 30 lbs eating 1300 cals and have recently increased to about 2200 to try to maintain (im actually gaining so will probably need to lower). im like just as hungry if not more on this amount of calories! I eat a high protein meal of like 600 calories and im still hungry after! maybe its a mental thing but i dont know why im always hungry after increasing my cals so much

Replies

• jessvaughn74
    jessvaughn74 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I am not the only one! On the days that I tend to eat more calories I am so hungry all day. But on the days where my calorie intake is lower I am fine. I almost always eat a yogurt for breakfast. Today I eat 2 pieces of toast (50 cal bread) ..one with peanut butter and one with sugar free jelly and I was just hungry all day. No matter what I ate or how much I just couldnt get enough.

Wish i had an answer for you!
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It might be psychological. On the days when I don't eat a lot, its because I don't have time, or don't have anything good to eat so my brain doesn't bother wanting more food. When I eat more (because I have the time, planned for it, it's in the fridge etc. ) I just want to eat more. Fiber helps, and of course protein, and make sure you are not dehydrated. That sometimes feels like hunger...

Here are some articles about hunger after meals:

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/13746/1/Why-You-Are-Still-Hungry-After-a-Meal.html
    http://voices.yahoo.com/five-reasons-why-re-still-hungry-after-eating-6169560.html
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    "On the days that I tend to eat more calories I am so hungry all day. But on the days where my calorie intake is lower I am fine." Totally agree. I have the same problem.

Totally agree with this ^^I have noticed that the days I do heavy work-outs or interval training where I get up to 70-80% of my HR, I am not as hungry. My post workout days, I'm very hungry, so I eat more then!
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I find I am more hungry through out the day if I do not have a high protein breakfast.

Check your daily protein, is it enough?
    Eat foods high in fiber, they help fill you up.
    Drink 8-10 oz of water 30 mins before you eat and you'll feel full.
    I find when I am still hungry after I eat, if I wait about 20 mins. that full feeling kicks in.

No scientific proof of any of these things ... just what works for me.
  • Velecia42
    Options
    it will take a while before your body ajust to the new changes... while your ajust eat food with more fiber like apple, carrots, bannana, or otameal.
  • Annie120484
    Annie120484 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Have a tall glass of water before every meal... seriously this helps me so much. (Also have one when you first wake up, it feels sooo good)