Hi! Looking for 50 and over for mutual support.

Options
My user name is fefafi- female, fat, fifty. Looking for others in the same boat. I need to lose 40 pounds and am working the program to the letter. It's been 5 days and I haven't lost a single pound-so discouraging. Looking forward to meeting others who face the same challenges and offering positive, mutual support :smile: !

Replies

• DonnanPropp
    DonnanPropp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am female and 57 ,- do not give up ! I did not loss until my second week and it was .6 of a pound. Since then I have lost over 4 pounds. Best thing is to remember you are doing this for your health and well being - you are not alone so hang in there! Just take small steps towards your goal and be happy when you achieve one. I stated I would be happy just to feel like my jeans were not fighting to burst! Just now I feel like we are friends- been doing this for five weeks - makes me more aware each week what I am actually eating.
    Take care
    Donna
  • Roxyann
    Roxyann Posts: 35
    Options
    I am 56 and have lost 20 pounds in a year here. Right now I keep going up and down the same 3 pounds and not sure what to do. I know its going to take time to get back on track. You have to give it time and ask others to help you. There is no way anyone can do it alone.

First thing is you need support of others and to believe in yourself. Set small goals of 2 pounds a month. It may look like a small amount but over time it will add up. Big gaols are to hard to keep. Besides when you make over the 2 pounds a month it makes you feel so proud of yourself and the hard work you have done.

Its all up to you and what works better to get you to that goal. Just don't give up on yourself. Give it a month our two for your body to understand you want to change it. If you would like to add me please feel free to do so.
  • cleoKatt
    cleoKatt Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm part of the "mature" crowd,..so feel free to add me if you like.... also, I have a support group, glad to invite you.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hi fefafi how tall are you ad how many calories are you eating and how offen are you doing Cardio and for how long ?
  • heather4949
    heather4949 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi ......I am a 63 female and have just started 6 days ago....have lost 1.7kg, and have just done the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred dvd, and I think my body has just left me for I feel like jelly at the moment. And this was for 20mins, but it felt like a hour. This had better work.!!!!! So don't give up, for I am not a quitter even though I feel sick and dead at the moment.....Jillian Michaels said I will feel alive tomorrow. I have noticed quit a few of the MFP people are doing this and they feel great, so I hope I will be one of them also......Please hang in there, we all need each other's support with this life changing journey we are on......
  • phylsyl
    phylsyl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Glad to offer support! Welcome!
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am 57. I lost 58lbs in about 16 months and am now maintaining. Just keep doing the right things and above all be patient - you're in this for the long haul. Those 40lbs will go and you will feel marvellous.
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and for me losing weight is a slow and steady progress. I was looking at losing about 20lbs / 9kg to reach my recommended weight and it took me 5 months! Averging 0.5 kg per week which is soooo little to some but that is what I need to do. Now I am almost where I should be and I am proud at what i have achieved. I also started a cardio routine 3 times a week (rowing and using exercise band) and has also joined a dragon boat team for leisure. So it is not too late to start something new in your life and go out there and find something you like to do for the exercise and stick to it. Be realistic with your daily calorie intake and your weight WILL go down. Good Luck.
  • toots2u2
    toots2u2 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm 58 and new here also and looking for support. Feel free to add me or message me at any time. I'm online nearly every day for at least 3 hours, most evenings also. Hang in there, together we can do this!
  • AdnerbW
    AdnerbW Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm 55 and would love some support and motivation. I am currently doing the March 150 miles challenge and am doing well if I do say so my self. I just tried Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, but only lasted 8.26 minutes as I was exhausted. I'm also trying to give up smoking. So with trying to loose weight and quit smoking I have my work cut out for me. I'd love as much support as I can get! Hope to hear from you all soon! !
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, Im in the same boat, and age, been here a few mo. and have learned alot!:happy:
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! How many calories are you eating? Are you exercising? Those are all key factors in how much success you'll have. You may want to figure out how many calories you SHOULD be eating from the following website: http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/caloriedeficitcalculator.php. You enter your height, weight, age and lifestyle and it will tell you how many calories you need and then to lose weight, it gives you 4 different deficits (15 - 30%). There is also a resource from a MFP member called the "Roadmap", but that is a bit more complicated. You may want to check either of these out and figure out how many calories you SHOULD eat for weight loss.

Keep up the hard work.
  • MichelleMac58
    MichelleMac58 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's so hard at our age to lose weight as quick as we used to...thanks to menopause and our metabolism we lose at a snail
    pace. Unlike our younger counterparts though we have more knowledge and wisdom and at this stage of our lives we understand the importance of health and proper nutrition. Give yourself a break, be realistic in your goals and like or better yet love who you are.
  • Sheila_KI
    Sheila_KI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend. I am54 yrs 5'1" and trying to lose a minimum of 50. Love to exercise....so I am toning but weight comes off slowly.
  • nevaehrose
    nevaehrose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I turned 50 in November and have never weighed so much in my life or have the belly that I have. I seem to be stuck at a 10 pound loss. I know it takes time but I get so discouraged at times. It just seems like the scale don't move. I have started taking classed at the gym. I have been going for 2 weeks and not a pound but I know the inches are going cause my clothes fit different. It is just that I have always been a scale person and don't know how to get away from that. Suggestions anyone?
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    toss out the scale and grab the tape measure that is what i had to do i only weight myself once a week with my trainer at the gym. I used to get on the scale daily and it would drive me nuts so i tossed it out and its the best thing i have ever did.
  • ssyer
    ssyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 55 in April and I have lost 70 1/2 pounds with ww, the last couple of pounds doing my fitness pal, ww stopped working for me kept going backwards and forwards the last 6 months. I still go to my ww class as I love the friendly people there, and I need to know that I'm getting weighed by somebody, I gained a lot of support from my friends at ww, and I can always do with more friends to keep me on my last leg of this journey.

People ask me how comes you did it this time, and thinking about it, I think it's because I don't keep reminding myself that I'm on a diet, I plod along one week at a time I'm not in a race I'm eating healthy.

There are photos on my profile of before and after fill free to have a look, and your welcome to add me, and if I can help you I will remember one week at a time and soon the pounds all mount up and you'll be in smaller sizes in no time.

Good luck

Sue
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I lost nothing the first week, too...but lost 5 pounds the second. YMMV. :) I think it sometimes takes a bit for your body to adjust to a change in diet, so just hang in there!
  • Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello all.
    I am a newly turned 55 year old woman.
    Glad to find this group.
    seemed what we did back in our 20's and 30's
    just no longer works now=(
    Hang in there...
  • uruguaya51
    uruguaya51 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi from Spring Hill Florida, I'm 51 yrs old and I'm new in this. I want to loose 80 pounds and I need all kind of help in this . My english is not really good so please let me apologize for that. I would like to learn and share tips, recipes and different things that can help us a little more. Thanks for be there and I will be waiting for your contacts. Betty :flowerforyou: