Just bought a 10lb box of Oatmeal from Costco

Options
Hello fit friends! As you can see from my profile pic, I just bought the biggest box of oatmeal in the world. It has 110 servings in it so I think I will have turned into oatmeal by the time I finish the box.

Any interesting ideas or suggestions for yummy recipes? I've read some blogs where people make baked oatmeal or mix their oatmeal with egg whites...

Feel free to add me on MFP too - I want to surround myself with as many fit and positive people as possible x x x

Replies

• DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bump!

By the way wow you look AWESOME!! Sent you a friend request for some inspiration :smile:
  • BakingMadGymAddict
    Options
    Thanks Hun! I am quite a silly person when I'm not at work (hence the photo of me doing tricep push ups off an oatmeal box!). I look forward to encouraging each other so that we can achieve our fitness goals!

My goal is to get more defined abs - it's the hardest body part for me to train x
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    I cook the oatmeal as directed.
    Add blueberries and chopped strawberries
    Sprinkle cinnamon
    Drizzle with natural honey

I've also made oatmeal pankakes. I can send you the recipe if you like.
  • BakingMadGymAddict
    Options
    Freaky! I actually made cinammon berry oatmeal this morning for brekkie. Great minds think alike sir! Yes please to the oatmeal pancakes recipe. I tried it once before but my concoction resulted in a pretty dry carboardy pancake...
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat flour)
    1/2 cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
    1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil

My wife asks me to make these all the time. You can add berries as well. I had one for banana oatmeal pancakes, but I can't find it.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I always add flax seeds and almond milk but some of the other things I like to add are protein powder, PB2, maple syrup, and cinnamon. I saw a recipe for oatmeal breaded chicken somewhere so I'll try to dig that up and post it.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Oh man. That's a lot of oatmeal. Try some refrigerator oatmeal sometime, supposed to be pretty great.

Think the basics are fruit/sweetner/yogurt or milk/and oatmeal.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I just make regular oatmeal, with a few different variations:

mashed banana, tsp honey, cinnamon
    tbsp cocoa powder, tsp honey, 1/2 cup blueberries
    mashed banana, tsp honey, matcha powder (actually quite good!)

I'll also do refrigerator oats for days I don't have time to eat breakfast at home. In a tupperware, I mix 1/2 cup oats with 1/2 cup milk (any type of your choosing, I use chocolate almond milk) plus 1 tbsp cocoa and tsp honey, slice a banana or add whatever berries you like. :)

I've added nut butters before, a lot of people love it, I was just meh about it.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Turn it into protein by feeding it to your livestock.
  • BakingMadGymAddict
    Options
    Wow - awesome suggestions guys! Thanks for responding. It's nearly midnight here in Sydney so I have to sleep now and let my muscles grow grow grow (and dream of oatmeal).

I cant wait for brekkie tomorrow. I will defo try out the chicken crumbed oatmeal dish too - I like to try strange things haha

Good idea stevie with the turning of oatmeal into protein. Dont think my landlord would be happy that I turned my residential unit into a farm tho haha x x x
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Thanks Hun! I am quite a silly person when I'm not at work (hence the photo of me doing tricep push ups off an oatmeal box!). I look forward to encouraging each other so that we can achieve our fitness goals!

My goal is to get more defined abs - it's the hardest body part for me to train x

You're very welcome! My goal is to get a more defined body lol... But seriously, I checked out your pics, and you're in phenomenal shape! I'm lurking on this thread in hopes of some alternative ways of using up oats (since I've had a very small canister for sooo long, I believe it's about 1 month from expiring :tongue: ) I wish I could enjoy a regular bowl of oats but I just can't get passed the texture :sick: The only way I can eat it is if it's used in a recipe like say... Oatmeal cookies and I'm not even going there right now lol :noway: ... Unless someone has a healthier version out there in MFP land :wink:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YUMMY! ITS SPECIAL PORRIDGE TIME!
    mix with crown royal WHISKY over a medium stove and VOILA!
    SPECIAL PORRIDGE TIME!
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    1/2c-3/4c dry oats
    1/2 apple chopped
    1/2-1 small banana chopped
    1/2 cup milk of choice
    1/2-1 Tbsp honey
    Unsweetened coconut (opt)
    Flax seeds or meal (opt)
    Chia seeds (opt)
    Sliced almonds (opt)

Mix together and eat.

1/2 c dry oats
    1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ginger
    2 sprinkles cardamom
    1 pinch/small sprinkle cayenne pepper
    1 c water or milk

Mix oats with spices and add water/milk. Cook according to directions.
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    1/2 c dry oats
    1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ginger
    2 sprinkles cardamom
    1 pinch/small sprinkle cayenne pepper
    1 c water or milk

Mix oats with spices and add water/milk. Cook according to directions.

I forgot to add that after it is cooked, I add (this is optional, but very good) 2/3 scoop vanilla protein powder.
  • lmroessler
    lmroessler Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I used to eat oatmeal every day for breakfast (and am on about my fifth giant box of oatmeal from Costco) but lately have switched to oatmeal applesause muffins. I don't use as much oatmeal as I used to, but it makes breakfast much easier and they are yumm-o! Recipe:

1 cup of skim milk
    1 cup of oatmeal
    Mix these two and let sit for an hour
    Then add
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
    1/2 cup of brown sugar
    2 egg whites
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    Mix and pour / scoop into 12 muffins
    Mix 1 tsp each cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle on top of the muffins
    Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes

Original recipe says 92 calories, but I calculated 125.

Here's the link: http://shrinkingjeans.net/2010/11/taste-of-the-sisterhood-oatmeal-applesauce-muffins/
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    And this is my absolute favorite eggs and toasted oats recipe. It is delicious! May have it tomorrow actually.

http://www.lovingfit.com/nutrition/roasted-oats-omelette-recipe/
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/2013/03/guilt-free-oatmeal-raisin-cookies.html

These are pretty tasty. Not something I would eat every day or make real often. But good.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I just remembered, I saw this recipe on Pinterest a little while ago. I haven't tried it out yet, but it looks interesting!

http://www.marthastewart.com/332301/savory-oatmeal-and-soft-cooked-egg
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have that box! I eat overnight oats for breakfast most mornings. I switch it up between banana & cinnamon, apple & cinnamon, and pumpkin & pumpkin pie spices.

I've also been known to make oatmeal craisin and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies when the craving becomes overwhelming. I just half the recipe and bring some to work.