fish dishes

Options
I need some suggestions. I am not a fish person but I'm willing
to try. I bought talapia because I heard it was the least fishy
Can anyone tell me what to do with it as far as recipes?
Or even recipes for any other fish with a mild taste. ?

Replies

• sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    In a baking pan spray the bottom with olive oil spray or grease bottom of pan with olive oil and paper towel. Lay your thawed fish all along the bottom. In a bowl mix Lite Miracle Whip,Lemon Juice,Fennel,tsp sea salt,tsp black pepper,garlic cloves minced. Then spread that all over the top and bake it. Is really good and low calories.
  • stepgingerly
    Options
    I'm not a fish person either, but found this to work for me. Spray a piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray, plop the fish down on it. Spray the fish lightly on top. They have these fish seasonings near many grocery store deli's or fish counters (it looks like one of those containers that hold 4 seasonings for oil-dipped bread - but specifically for seafood.) They're all really good, and I just rotate through them. Sprinkle on top of the fish generously (I spray the seasoning a little after it's on to make sure it doesn't burn) and pop it in a hot oven (400) for about 10 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fish.) Just check after about 8 minutes to see if it's gotten white and flaky in the thickest part. You can throw away the foil to make clean-up super easy. (always the worst part of fish in my book.)
  • bigb2001
    bigb2001 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My husband pan frys the fish and then pan frys onion, red and yellow bell pepers and puts it on the fish. So simple and so GOOD!
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    baking it as described above is good, i like to make a mango salsa to go on top of my tilapia (mahi is another very mild fish). If you are not sure you can be switched to a fish lover yet, try something a little less intimidating, pan fry, bake, etc the fish in your preference, use it to make fish tacos (corn tortillas, salsa, lettuce or slaw) still very low calorie and much easier to acquire the taste for fish
  • leeannewgeorge
    leeannewgeorge Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Season with a good cajun seasoning like Colonel Paul's or Tony Cacheres or even Old Bay Seasoning and pan fry in a little olive oil. Very easy, Very good!
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Spice level can be adjusted with more/less cayenne depending on your tastebuds. This has quickly turned into one of my favorites. Good for turning leftovers into fish tacos or lettuce wrap filling too!

Ingredients:

* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    * 1 teaspoon chili powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    * 4 (6 ounce) tilapia fillets
    * 1 lime, cut into wedges

Method:
    Preheat oven to 450°F. In a small bowl, mix garlic powder, chili powder, black pepper and cayenne. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of tilapia.

Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange tilapia in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and flesh begins to flake, 7 to 9 minutes. Serve with lime wedges on the side.
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    Spice level can be adjusted with more/less cayenne depending on your tastebuds. This has quickly turned into one of my favorites. Good for turning leftovers into fish tacos or lettuce wrap filling too!

Ingredients:

Method:
    Preheat oven to 450°F. In a small bowl, mix garlic powder, chili powder, black pepper and cayenne. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of tilapia.

Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange tilapia in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and flesh begins to flake, 7 to 9 minutes. Serve with lime wedges on the side.

This is almost exactly how I cook mine lately. I can vouch for it's deliciousness.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I second baking it! I put the filet in a greased glass dish, pour a tablespoon of lemon juice over it, sprinkle with salt, pepper, minced garlic, and sometimes chile powder and capers, then cover with foil and bake for about 15-20 minutes until cooked. I eat that with either a salad if I'm don't want more carbs or some kind of grain like rice or lentils. Yummy!
  • meganmarkworth
    Options
    bump
  • RachelYun27
    RachelYun27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I spray a pan with cooking spray put the fish in it and pour marinara sauce over the it. It's good!
  • nicole3moms
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. My appreciated. Ill be trying some fish tonight.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    This is similar to one of the other recipes above: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/chili_rubbed_tilapia_with_asparagus_lemon.html

My boyfriend (picky eater who says he hates fish) will even eat a few bites. It's really easy to make.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    A good mild to slightly fishy fish is Swai. Walmart sells it frozen for about $10 for a big bag (I want to say 4lb bag). The planks are long and hold together well when cooking, more so than some other smaller planks that I've seen like flounder. Best part is it's only 70 calories for 4oz (each plank is about 8oz). Also you can't go wrong with salmon. It seems to be the one fish people like even if they don't like fish.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Fish Tacos
    Prepare fish - cut into "fingers" of fish, season to your liking and bake on "sprayed" foil for easy cleanup
    Prepare condiments - shred cabbage (the regular green head type), mince cilantro, dice onions, wedge lemon
    Prepare sauce - light mayo; squirt of lemon juice; taco sauce, pica de gallo or other hot sauce; garlic; a shake of cumin if you desire (this is how I prepare my sauce which can be prepared way in advance, by the way)
    Heat taco shells (check the caloric content) in the microwave.
    Assemble: per shell... fish fingers (you can weigh fish per taco), add cabbage (1/4 to 1/3 cup), sauce (1-2 teaspoons is good depending on cabbage amount) onion (if using), sprinkle of cilantro, squirt of lemon juice, Good family fare, enjoy.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Ingredients:

Method:

This is almost exactly how I cook mine lately. I can vouch for it's deliciousness.

Mine is also similar but has cornmeal which bumps the calories up a bit. It's all over the internet, search Yummy Crispy Baked Fish to find the recipe :)
  • amagostinelli
    Options
    Buy FRESH from the Fish Counter and you will avoid the 'fishy taste'. Cook that same day and use fresh herbs/spices w/ lemon juice. :)
  • deannalynn66
    deannalynn66 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Easy Fish Sandwich:

poach tilapia
    make sauce: fat free sour cream, dill, dijon and lemon juice
    Joseph's Flax, Oatbran Whole Wheat Pita - very LOW carb and yummy...just 60 calories!

Spread sauce on pita
    place fish on sauce
    top with lettuce, tomato, onion
    fold pita over...
    enjoy!